Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cheat day..yes or no?

Options

Replies

• MatthewHeaddenCoaching
    Options
    I am not anti cheat day but it can play really bad games with your head, which it seems like it already may be. Take a look at flexible dieting, which I have found works extremely well regardless of your goal. All that is required is figuring out your macros, and please not what the USA recommends, and as long as your foods fit your macros and caloric intake for the day go for.
    For example if you are at 7pm and have eaten your last meal of the day and have 10 grams of fat and 30 carbs left go eat a daggum donut.
    This is much more sustainable and eliminates the need for the cheat day all together.
  • kbarrett0701
    kbarrett0701 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'd say no. In the 18 months it took me to lose 148 pounds, I had one cheat meal during that time. Since I've hit my goal weight I allow myself every night to have 2 ounces of halo top ice cream(it's yummy).
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    @Yourkindagirl Your photo up there! Love it! You GO, lady!
  • RainaProske
    Options
    grannynot wrote: »
    Make it a priority; or stop complaining and live with your failures.

YES!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    My cheat day starts on Friday night and lasts until Monday morning. The rest of my week is structured to allow this.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've found that working small treats into my daily plans for a few days out of the week works best.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I think it depends on how, why, and how often.

The ideal goal of MFP is to set you up for a way of eating that will be conducive to maintaining your goal weight for the rest of your life. So consider your lifestyle, what changes you can sustain forever, what you're not willing to give up entirely. Do you frequently do very well during the week but tend to splurge on weekends? Structure your calorie goals so that you eat a little less during the week and have some more flexibility on Fri-Sat or Sat-Sun. Is there a sort of special occasion, meal out with friends, company picnic, etc coming up, the type of stuff that comes up fairly often, where you know you're going to have a bigger than usual meal? Make reasonable choices at the meal, and then eat a little less and/or exercise a little more in the days surrounding the event so that over the course of the week you just about even out. Is there a big, relatively infrequent holiday/celebration coming up where you know you're going to exceed your typical calorie goal by a good amount (Christmas, your birthday, your annual 4th of July BBQ extravaganza)? Go for it. You still need to live your life. Did you just have a bad day and unexpectedly exceed your calorie goal by more than an insignificant amount? Try to make it up over the course of the next several days. Or, in all of the above cases, accept that you're just going to have a reduced deficit or a surplus for the day/week, and understand how that's going to impact your goals, and understand what that would mean if you were generally eating at maintenance.

I wouldn't cheat just to cheat, though. Saying to myself "ok, tomorrow I'm just going to eat whatever the heck I want, calories be darned" seems mentally and emotionally counter-productive. If there's a particular food that I'm craving that normally doesn't fit well into my goals so I generally don't eat it, but I just HAVE to have it, I just do my best to work it in. If I decide on a cheat day because I'm emotionally not in a good space, that's a great opportunity to address emotional eating and find healthy behaviors to replace it. If I'm simply feeling burnt out on dieting and exercising and like I need a break, maybe it's time to re-evaluate if my deficit is too big, or to find a new activity to try for exercise, or to adjust my macros a little, even temporarily (for me, I find that allowing myself to go nuts on carbs within my calorie goal and not try so hard to hit my protein goals for a couple of days relieves a lot of mental stress). And everything needs to get logged, even if the entire day was a dumpster fire - I think it's important both to be honest about it and really get a handle on the totals, both as a mental reality check and a data point to understand what would need to be done to balance it out.

I'm not suggesting anyone should freak out and fast for 2 days because they're going out for their anniversary dinner this weekend and know they're going to have a couple glasses of wine and split a giant piece of cheesecake. It's just about balance and making small tweaks so that you still generally meet your goals over time. When you're at maintenance, if there are days where you exceed your typical maintenance range you either have to make that up through eating less/moving more to balance it out, or accept that you're going to gain a small amount of weight back. Too many of those days and that re-gained weight is no longer a small amount. I think it's good to start healthy maintenance behaviors now.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I don't call it cheating but there are meals that I eat over my calorie allowance. Usually planned but sometimes not. I can't do that all day though because it wipes out my deficit.

I like to save calories the day before and day after. It's hard though because that usually means I am hungry.

I am picky too. I am not going to go over my deficit for something that isn't great. That helps me a lot. Sometimes I will plan to go over and whatever I end up eating isn't that good so I don't eat much.

I am at the point that I can get right back to it without it being a big deal in my mind. It used to be very difficult to get in the deficit mindset after eating more than usual. I guess I am used to it now.
  • Yourkindagirl
    Yourkindagirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    @Yourkindagirl Your photo up there! Love it! You GO, lady!

Thank you.
  • tiffanyfoundit
    tiffanyfoundit Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I try to always leave some space for some sort of treat.
    But I've also adjusted what is treats are. A lot of my deserts are bananas (or apples) and peanut butter and some dark chocolate chips
    Even if its ice cream its a little serving instead of a giant bowl.
    Its all about balance ! Find what works for you!
    For me personally, if I couldn't have some sort of treat I would be really unhappy. So I've made it so I can have treats
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Just eat at maintenance if you want a "cheat" day.
  • morcadioa
    morcadioa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a 'treat' meal not a cheat day, it's maybe once a week or once fortnight. I find it helps me stay on track. I've read other members say about including a little treat everyday whilst staying in their calorie goal, whether chocolate or juices, pizza etc. I can't do this, if I have one bit of chocolate I want more etc. That's why I do once cheat meal, when I've eaten it that's it, it's done and I move on. You just have to find something that works for you. We are all different
  • greytarzan
    greytarzan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you dont have the willpower, have a cheat MEAL. Not "Day".
  • RainaProske
    edited July 2016
    Options
    After all my bluster here about no cheat days, I am tired. If I were still trying to lose weight, it would be different, but I'm feeling resistant to my nutritionist wanting me to gain a little weight, so I'm tired. Tired of the constant keeping account. The junk food I've been eating lately is probably what is making me feel as I do. But I'm taking a little break until I can get myself more together. What a "brak" means, I don't know. Mainly, I'm just not going to be so hard on myself.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    No because that would nullify my deficit and I would stay fat.