What are some good spices to put on fish?

Options
pchesnut
pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
I have been eating a lot of Talapia and Salmon lately. But I think I may soon tire of the spices I have been using. What are some spices to try that I probably haven't?

Also how do you like to cook your fish?

Replies

• sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm grilling my tilapia with hot curry powder right now:)

Also I've recently tried Mrs. Dash Southwest and also the Cajun spice...like them as salt free options.
  • xbrittney90
    xbrittney90 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I bake tilapia, I like to put garlic, pepper, onion powder, and smoked paprika on it!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Cajun blackening spice is good for fish, I used to do it all the time when I'm lazy.
  • lahlstephens
    lahlstephens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I cook Tilapia a lot. I sprinkle both sides with lemon pepper and sauté it in a pan coated lightly with olive oil. It comes out perfect 3-4 minutes on each side. I'm not a huge fan of fish, so I buy the fresh salsa from the produce department and top it with the salsa. It's really good.
  • jbs2travel
    jbs2travel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm baking salmon right now with garlic and ginger & a little soy sauce. Yum!
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If you have access to it, Chef Pau Prudhomme's Salmon Magic is our go to grilling spice for salmon.

For halibut we do a light basting with Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki sauce and then bake.

For Ling Cod:
    Mediterranean Baked Cod (Nothing could be easier)

1 1/2 lb. Cod fillet

1 can (14.5 oz.) Italian-Style Stewed Tomatoes

1 Tablespoon drained Capers and / or 12-16 Pitted Ripe Black Olives or
    Pimiento-Stuffed Green Olives

1-2 Tablespoon Grated Parmesan Cheese

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Rinse cod and pat dry. Arrange fillets in a large baking dish, folding thin tail ends under to give fillets even thickness.

Pour tomatoes and their juice over fish. Sprinkle with Capers and / or Olives, followed by Parmesan cheese. Bake fish uncovered in heated oven until just opaque in center, 20-25 minutes for fillets about 1 inch thick.

(The pan juices are tasty poured over rice.)

4 Servings per recipe.
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Low sodium Taco seasoning ... sounds wrong but it's quite yummy!
  • Tysonlovesweights
    Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i use a sweet thai chili sauce.... store bought but low sodium and low cal, tastes awesome served with basmati rice,

i also do a creamy garlic dill sauce with finely chopped shallots.
    3/4 cup cream
    1 tbsp butter
    1 shallot finely chopped
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    1 tbsp finely chopped dill weed

butter and shallot in pan, mid heat until brown, add everything else, stir until sauce thickens
    for the fish 9i use tilapia, cod, or haddock all very mild) just put in a baking dish, brush lightly with olive oil, sprinkle pepper to taste, and bake @400 deg for 15 minutes, spoon the sauce over individual portions and enjoy
  • alyssabrown94
    Options
    This is the best thing ever, I got it from Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. The guy's seasonings for his fish was onion powder, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. It is amazing. AMAZING.
  • hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of dill, lemon, and pepper on my white fish.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Creole seasoning...yummy

Lemon, rosemary and garlic
  • jennalee85251
    Options
    Lemon pepper is always good. Salmon is tastey as hell if you marinate it in teriyaki (homemade or store bought) for 24 hours and then season it with some garlic and lemon pepper and throw it on the grill. Its my favorite thing in the whole world and i used to hate salmon!
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If you like cumin (a fave spice of mine) try this one for tilapia:
    TIlapia with Mango, Cumin and Cilantro
    Ingredients
    4 (5-ounce) tilapia fillets
    Salt and ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons ground coriander
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 ripe mango, diced
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    Directions
    Season both sides of tilapia fillets with salt and black pepper. Rub cumin and coriander all over both sides of fillets. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tilapia fillets and cook 3 to 5 minutes per side, until fish is fork-tender. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mango and cilantro. Top tilapia with mango mixture just before serving.
  • CandiQueen
    CandiQueen Posts: 57
    Options
    Lemon and dill on salmon, plain, simple and delicious.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bumpin for ideas :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and Cavender's Greek seasoning. Throw it 4" under the broiler for about 5 min.

Or try a 4:1 ratio of yogurt or mayo with honey mustard, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Broil that one too.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Spicely and Arizona Spice company have some great low/no sodium spices. You can check their websites and order from Amazon. If you like Cajun.. Tony Chachere has a no salt creole seasoning that is great as does Cavender's Greek.

Happy hunting.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Tarragon, dill
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash and the Penzey spice co. has a
    chicken & fish topping That's nice.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options