What are some good spices to put on fish?

Options

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    SZEGED, yup that is spelled right.... Fish Rub........ Rub it on salmon, cook it on a cedar plank on the BBQ............. YUMMMMY
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I pan-cook my fish with no oil. Salmon fillets with skin on are perfect for this - cook low for a long while, skin side down and pop the lid on so it can just steam in its own juices. Once it's mostly cooked, flip to brown the top/sides. The skin will literally fall off, so if you want to get a light crust on the bottom, you can do that, too. This technique really keeps the salmon juicy without adding any extra calories/fat from oils. =) (Just be sure to turn on your vent - the skin will smoke a little!)

For seasonings, I usually keep it simple. Garlic salt or cajun spice on salmon. If you want to take a little extra time & don't mind a few extra calories, salmon goes nicely with a simple sauce made of sauteed onions/mushrooms, a couple splashes of white wine, a splash of white vinegar, and parsley.

For milder fish like tilapia or catfish....anything goes!
    Garlic & salt
    Cajun spices
    Old Bay (Nom nom...)
    Curry
    5 spice powder
    Chipotle spice
    Lemon Pepper
    Cumin & Chili Powder
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Low sodium soy sauce, lime juice, onion powder, ginger. I marinade the salmon for 30 minutes and grill, or pan fry with olive oil, or bake with some of the sauce.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't use spices with the whiting fish I eat, as I bake it for 20 mins from its frozen state. I eat it with fruit salsa, which adds the kick
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you like cumin (a fave spice of mine) try this one for tilapia:
    TIlapia with Mango, Cumin and Cilantro
    Ingredients
    4 (5-ounce) tilapia fillets
    Salt and ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons ground coriander
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 ripe mango, diced
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    Directions
    Season both sides of tilapia fillets with salt and black pepper. Rub cumin and coriander all over both sides of fillets. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tilapia fillets and cook 3 to 5 minutes per side, until fish is fork-tender. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mango and cilantro. Top tilapia with mango mixture just before serving.

I LOVE cumin and cilantro. Definitely going to have to try this one. Thank you!
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I don't know what all is in it, but I bought a container of the seasoning from Steak and Shake. It tastes great.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I barbecue salmon with a red pepper and garlic mix, mmm mmmm. Tilapia I like to pan fry real quick with pepper and onion powder, sometimes rosemary. Sometimes I do a little bit of soysauce over it after it is done. I've learned that I like simple things on fish the best.
  • Laroka
    Laroka Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use lemon pepper. I use it on chicken breasts too.
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    For those who say they grill or bbq--can you explain to me how you grill salmon fillet? doesn't it come apart on the grill?
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Dill weed is awesome, and lemon pepper is also very good. Soy sauce and a little honey is excellent on salmon.
  • Otterjoy
    Otterjoy Posts: 3
    Options
    I had fresh halibut, fresh salmon and fresh Arctc Graylng this week. I did this:

Salmon Put about 1/4 cup Mr. Yoshuda's sauce on the top and baked uncovered until flaky. This is always a hit.

Halibut and Arctic Grayling Dipped in egg, then flour with lots Old Bay Seasoning plus lots of salt and pepper. Pan fried in oil and butter 1/2 and 1/2

Hint, cook fish just until opaque.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The best-tasting fish I ever made was catfish in a skillet with a dab of olive oil, dill weed, garlic powder, fresh ground peppercorn, and parsley, with lemon juice squeezed on after it was done. Dill weed is great for almost any kind of fish.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Tilapia - Works well with cajun / blackening seasoning, lemon pepper, adobo, curry, black pepper, paprika, dill, cilantro, rosemary, chives, saffron, oregano, cumin - pretty much everything except for fresh tarragon - i haven't had a lot of luck with tarragon and tilapia

Salmon - any hearty spice / herb will work with salmon especially turmeric and dill.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    My favorite is zatarans southern fish fry and 350* peanut oil.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    http://www.coloradospice.com/

^Trout and Salmon Rub is THEBOMB.
  • HeatSeeker61
    HeatSeeker61 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Poached in dry white wine, fresh dill and lemon zest.
  • OtakuMusician
    OtakuMusician Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Lightly marinated with Fat Free Catalina Dressing. It's fantastic!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I'd do a mix of sugar and soy sauce and eat it with rice and cooked veggies.
  • anthony_t8787
    anthony_t8787 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm a big fan of Greek and Portuguese seasonings for fish although I like to mix it up and add some Asian seasoning every once in a while.

For Greek seasoning try out the following:
    - oregano
    - freshly ground black peppercorn
    - basil
    - garlic powder
    - sea salt
    - freshly squeezed lemon!

To be honest I prefer to just order the stuff every once in a while rather than mix it myself, I usually get it from these guys who have quite a large variety of fish and seafood seasonings: https://altiusspice.com/product-category/fish-seafood-seasoning-grinders/
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,629 Member
    Options
    I squeeze half a lemon over salmon then coat it in Fox Point seasoning from Penzeys, it has salt, shallots, chives, garlic, onion, and green peppercorns. It's so good this way that I rarely switch it up! My other way of eating it is when my brother cooks it in his smoker, the flavor is insane. Now I want salmon!