What are some good spices to put on fish?

Options

Replies

• Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have two favorite (and easy!) ways to season any white fish. I cook both in a non-stick skillet with a spritz of EVOO
    1) find a mexican store, they have this chili lime salt, the kids eat it like candy, its awesome on fish!
    2) cook one side, flip and spread some pesto over the top of the fish while it finishes cooking. Now, pesto is pretty calorie dense, but you don't need much to do this and the flavor is amazing with the fish.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Wow, some great ideas here. I made some salmon kabobs the other day that just used thinly sliced lemon between each piece of salmon, and the salmon was seasoned with crushed red pepper, oregano, sea salt, pepper and cumin. It was easy and delicious. :)
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    On salmon and tuna and dark meat fish I use dill. On white meat fish I use cilantro, especially yummy with red snapper.

Lately I've been baking my salmon in a honey soy glaze, it's fabulous! Recipe is online and I believe it's a Korean dish.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Wow, some great ideas here. I made some salmon kabobs the other day that just used thinly sliced lemon between each piece of salmon, and the salmon was seasoned with crushed red pepper, oregano, sea salt, pepper and cumin. It was easy and delicious. :)

I saw that on skinnytaste too and made it. I wasnt a fan.

I dod salmon steaks with butter, parsley, lemon pepper, lemon juoce, and garlic powder.

Dill and lemon are good on white fish.

Teriyaki is delish on fish too
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    All of these ideas sound great!! Like some of the posts, I agree with using olive oil - I like to brush olive oil on the fish first, then season - I like to keep my flavors down to a roar with salmon so that I can taste the fish (by the way if you have an Aldi food store near you they sell "Wild Caught Salmon Filets" about 5 individually wrapped filets in a bag for $4.99 - check the freezer section) I usually use just a touch of ground black pepper and olive oil on my salmon and it is delish!! also love to experiment with dill, lemon, garlic - good luck !
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options

I saw that on skinnytaste too and made it. I wasnt a fan.

I dod salmon steaks with butter, parsley, lemon pepper, lemon juoce, and garlic powder.

Dill and lemon are good on white fish.

Teriyaki is delish on fish too

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like it. Your recipes sound great though. :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Salmon (mine)
    -smoked salt
    -dill
    -rosemary
    -lemon zest
    -crushed juniper berries
    -thinly sliced onion
    Salmon (from The Flavor Thesaurus by Niki Segnit)
    -shiitake mushrooms
    -horseradish
    -wasabi
    -hard boiled egg
    -fennel
    -tarragon
    -asparagus
    -cucumber
    -potato
    -parsley
    -prosciutto
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Lemon and dill on salmon, plain, simple and delicious.

I couldn't agree more. Lemon seasoning tastes good on almost everything, especially fish.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone said lemon pepper?
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    lemon pepper on salmon is amazing!
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    For salmon I mix maple syrup and mustard 50/50 and brush it on every time i turn it.

Tilapia gets a little sea salt and baked. then I cover it with fresh mango salsa.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Salt, Pepper, Lemon, Dill, Garlic, Paprika, cilantro, lime, parsley, tarragon, coriander seed, soy sauce, lemongrass, sriracha, salsa.

Grilled. En papiote. Baked/ Broiled. Stewed. Sauteed. Steamed. Raw.
  • toomanycats75
    Options
    I cook Tilapia w/ garlic, parsley, sage, rosemary, and cilantro. I also like to bake it w/ some tomato and celery, and add some greens underneath -- usually kale -- with a small amount of butter. It is GOOD that way.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I've been pan frying mine , mostly salmon filets of late.

Hot pan, butter or oil, for seasoning I use either sea salt or kosher salt, pepper and lemon pepper, at times will add Old Bay. Season well and place in hot pan so it will sear and get crispy on the top. It cooks pretty fast. Flesh side first then flip over so skin side is up.
  • megabyt23
    megabyt23 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    grilled...honey, lemon pepper, lemon, raspberries, blackberries, etc. all really great on salmon!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    When I bake tilapia, I like to put garlic, pepper, onion powder, and smoked paprika on it!

This is what I do as well.

Or lemon pepper and garlic.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Any of the Mrs. Dash no-salt blends are good- I use the chicken one on salmon and it's great, and sometimes add a sprinkle of the Italian Herb one for good measure. Surprisingly easy, surprisingly tasty... in fact, I may change my dinner plans to have it now instead of what I planned.
  • Katkamm77
    Katkamm77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of dill, lemon, and pepper on my white fish.
    Same here. I pan fry in a spray of olive oil.
    Stir Crazy has a DELICIOUS dish called Jumping Salmon. I wish I could get the recipe for their "sauce" because it's SO good.
    I recently tried a recipe I got from Bob Greene's book, The Best Life Diet. It's actually the reason I bought the book. It's called Grilled Tuna With Zesty Green Sauce. It was very good. I will definitely be making it again.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I like to cook tilapia in something like a sauce. I have been making a puttanesca with it mostly lately.

16 grape tomatoes
    4 cloves thin sliced garlic
    1 tbsp capers
    12 olives
    1 TBSP olive oil
    4 tilapia filets

Cook the tomatoes in the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat until they pop. Add thin sliced garlic and cook until soft. Add capers and olives, then place tilapia filets on top. put a lid on it, and the fish will create a nice sauce with the tomatoes. When the fish is white, cooked through, remove it and cook the sauce down to the desired consistency. Serve over pasta if you want.

Otherwise, I use a small bit of pesto, wrap it in foil and cook it in the oven. The pesto is strong enough to combat the tilapia flavor.

Salmon is great just plain seared in canola cooking spray until the outer layer gets a slight golden crust on it, Served rare with a small amount of soy sauce. Simple and tasty.
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Victoria Gourmet's Toasted Sesame Ginger blend is absolutely delicious on fish. I first found it for cheap at TJ Maxx of all places, the 5.4-oz jar (which is a lot) for $4. I'm almost out and need to go look for more!

http://www.vgourmet.com/Toasted-Sesame-Ginger-Seasoning/p/VIC-00140&c=VictoriaGourmet@SeasoningBlends