How often do you step on the scale?

Options
I have heard so many different opinions on this and was curious to know what y'all thought. Some say that weighing in every day is a good way to keep yourself on track and others say that it can be discouraging when you're not losing any weight. I personally weigh myself every morning (out of habit) and get extra motivated when the scale isn't moving. It makes me work harder in my workouts and eat cleaner meals.

How to y'all track your weight? Daily? Weekly? Not at all?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Once a week now at the doctor's office.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at the gym, so sometimes 3 times a week and sometimes just once a week. I tossed my scale out about 25 years ago. I only log my weight on MFP about every 7 to 10 days. I can fluctuate up to 5 pounds in either direction, so I may weigh myself for 3 days and either take an average or the highest. I know I don't actually lose 5 pounds in 10 days, so I might just give myself a loss of a pound or two and see how the next week goes. I know that's not how most people do it, but it works for me and my well being.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    I weigh daily and track it on a spreadsheet along with my caloric intake and macro breakdown. This allows me to see what causes fluctuations in weight and appreciate the overall trend.

The key is to not let the scale determine how you feel!

This is my method exactly. Choose whatever frequency works for you, but don't completely avoid the scale unless a mental health professional says otherwise. It's easy to fool yourself that you're not gaining weight, especially if you own stretchy clothes.

Very valid points. Mental health or medical conditions are generally a seperate matter entirely!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but don't actively track, it just lets me spot a developing trend early or confirm I'm on track.

A bit like using kitchen scales for food portion sizes I think it's educational to weigh daily for a period of time to get to understand your normal daily fluctuations and their causes. But long term it's very much personal preference. It's data without emotion for me but that's not the case for everyone.
  • BlastMom44
    BlastMom44 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and track it on a spreadsheet along with my caloric intake and macro breakdown. This allows me to see what causes fluctuations in weight and appreciate the overall trend.

The key is to not let the scale determine how you feel!

I love this idea! I weigh every day but haven't been making the comparison. I'll have to put something together and start tracking it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    BlastMom44 wrote: »
    I have heard so many different opinions on this and was curious to know what y'all thought. Some say that weighing in every day is a good way to keep yourself on track and others say that it can be discouraging when you're not losing any weight. I personally weigh myself every morning (out of habit) and get extra motivated when the scale isn't moving. It makes me work harder in my workouts and eat cleaner meals.

How to y'all track your weight? Daily? Weekly? Not at all?

There's no right answer...it really depends largely on your mindset. Your weight is going to fluctuate from day to day and throughout the day...up and down...so if that is going to drive you crazy then you shouldn't weigh in daily...daily fluctuations for whatever reason really seem to get people's panties in a bunch even though they're completely normal and natural.

It doesn't really matter though...ultimately it comes down to trends over time, not weigh in to weigh in. Weight loss is a long process and is all about tracking long term trends.
  • Bee_Le
    Bee_Le Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have one of those wifi scale, so I weight myself daily. I only care for the monthly averages. Daily numbers are just for fun and giggles to know. =P
  • Trendline15
    Trendline15 Posts: 48 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Every day, naked, in the morning.
    (preferrably after moving my bowels.)
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Every day to see if I gained a gram.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    You get the idea...

I'm a bit on the OCD side so I'm sort of surprised I haven't started tracking on a spreadsheet yet. Actually, I think I would only go this far if I had a certain goal or was actively working towards something. I'm in maintenance limbo.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    _dixiana_ wrote: »
    You get the idea...

I'm a bit on the OCD side so I'm sort of surprised I haven't started tracking on a spreadsheet yet. Actually, I think I would only go this far if I had a certain goal or was actively working towards something. I'm in maintenance limbo.

A spreadsheet would be perfect maintenance. Set your personal weight "limit" and if you see X amount of weigh ins over or under your range you can readjust your calories.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Every Monday Morning before I step into the shower.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Every week or so. I skip if I feel I've messed up. It's always a different weight in the morning than it is that afternoon at the doctors.
  • jpdo2much
    jpdo2much Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    my weight fluctuates during the day as well as daily which does drive me nuts so I limit weigh ins to twice a week. I log my weight on Mondays and just do a quick check midweek to see if I am still on track (ie - not gaining) I do my best not to let the number on the scale rule my weight loss emotions. I focus on the more physical aspects of not huffing and puffing any more going up a flight of stairs, or clothes being noticeably looser. I am bigger than average female anyway so I know my weight will always be higher than my average size female friends. Plus as you put more muscle on your frame it will affect your weight even as your measurements decrease. So in short for my mental weight loss health, I try to focus on the whole picture, not just the number on the scale.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Daily. It got me over my fear of the scale and able to live with normal fluctuations.
  • Javachipgirl
    Javachipgirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started with daily weigh ins but lately do twice a week. I track my weight in mfp which gives you a nice graph. I also track my waist and hip measurements in the app as well.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Daily.
    Input into Happy Scale
    Its better than weekly for me because I like data. And it helps me figure things out.

I like to see that I gain 3 lbs after chinese food. *edit* Within calorie goal*
    I like knowing it will take 4 days to fall back off.
    I know a big dinner and my slow digestion are a factor so I like to track that aspect.
    I can tell when Im ovulating and an increase and hold comes right in line with the dreaded monthly visitor.

I can tell more easily what my maintenance calories are (since Ive spent a lot if time unintentionally maintaining) and therefore can better adjust my deficit.
    Also thanks also to the daily logs of MFP + Fitbit + Happy Scale I have a beginning middle and end.
    Its all in the data and Im a nerd.
    With out an emotional tie to the number(( Im more emotionally tied to my tight pants)) - whether high or low - its only digits and math.