What rate can someone lose at.

Options
Bear with me here. I'm a numbers and planning guy. But so far my plan has been blown out of the water in a good way. I've planned for 2 lbs per week since late Sept when I got a decent scale and could weigh myself, but have exceeded that. Oct I lost ~15lb, Nov ~ 14 lb and so far in Dec I'm down ~8 and hope to lose 10. That will have me down ~55 since I started late August.

This will get me to 275. I'm 6' and 51 yrs old. My goal right now is 220 so I'm just overweight. That won't be my final goal, but will be a hell of a lot better than the 330 I started at and will mean I will have lost 1/3 of my body weight. If I can do that I will be pretty frikken happy.

I want to map out 2017. I know some folks don't like doing this, but it is how I work. I need the goals to work towards.

I know I will not lose at the rate I have going forward, but what is a reasonable rate?
I figure 2 lbs is still reasonable @ 275. If my "ideal" weight is 185, then that is still 90 lbs.
When does 2 lbs become unreasonable?
I'm thinking at 250 I slow down the weight loss to 1.5.
235 I slow down to 1?

I'm putting in some diet breaks after reading about them and reading what @SideSteel had to say. Probably 2 wks every 12. I may change my mind when I come to them, but that will be my plan.

I will be continuing ~30 mins on the treadmill every morning, some light weights 3 times a week (currently doing this one www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY) and plan to start running a couple days a week. I don't really have a goal date to be at 220, but want a target.

Hope this makes sense and is not too convoluted.

My question is how long can I expect to lose at 2 lbs, 1.5 lbs and 1 lb?

Thanks

Replies

• red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    good rule of thumb i have heard is 1 percent weight per week max . the rate you loose depend on your intake and settings on MFP to get your calories . i set mine to 1.5 and i eat those calories and its pretty spot on as rate loss goes , i was set at 2 pounds but i needed or wanted the extra calories , works better for me

good luck
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back at least some of your exercise?
    That could account for your loss being over the 2 lbs predicted.

If you are using an off site TDEE eaten stir or a step/exercise devise the above doesn't apply.

As you move along reassess your calories every 10 then 5 lbs so your deficit is keeping pace with your expected loss. (Don't forget to keep your device up to date too if you use one.

1.5 will be good for between 75-50lbs to lose.
    Move to 1 lbs a week once you are down to the last 50lbs to lose.
    Once you hit the last 20 look at changing to .5.

These estimates are not written in stone, just reasonable approximations.

Have fun with your planning.

Cheers, h.
  • NeuronsNeuronsNeurons
    Options
    First of all EXCELLENT WORK and CONGRATULATIONS! Secondly, I find that I can lose on average one pound for every 3,500 calorie deficit that I make. Look over your food and exercise entries does this coincide with your deficits? If not, I would adjust (maybe add/subtract 200 cals or so). Otherwise you can lose at the rate you feel comfortable with. MFP is designed to lose a max of 2 lbs per week. As you get closer to your goal you will want to slow down a bit in order to keep it off. When graphed this should follow an exponential decay type function as you approach your goal. Research shows this is the best and most sustainable way to achieve long term success.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think it's reasonable for most people to land somewhere in between .5 and 1.5% change in BW per week.
  • NeuronsNeuronsNeurons
    Options
    in other words if you go to low, you'll screw up your metabolism. The loss should taper off, as you get to within 20 lbs or so take it off slowly and do so with exercise rather than going below say 1,800 cals a day because eventually you will eat normally again and you'll need to have adopted a lifestyle where you can realistically maintain your loss and preserve your hard work
  • NeuronsNeuronsNeurons
    Options
    Are you eating back at least some of your exercise?
    That could account for your loss being over the 2 lbs predicted.

If you are using an off site TDEE eaten stir or a step/exercise devise the above doesn't apply.

As you move along reassess your calories every 10 then 5 lbs so your deficit is keeping pace with your expected loss. (Don't forget to keep your device up to date too if you use one.

1.5 will be good for between 75-50lbs to lose.
    Move to 1 lbs a week once you are down to the last 50lbs to lose.
    Once you hit the last 20 look at changing to .5.

These estimates are not written in stone, just reasonable approximations.

Have fun with your planning.

Cheers, h.

Yep, this is another way of stating it, excellent advice!
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    It depends on:

how long you can maintain a 1000 calorie a day below maintenance deficit for the 2 lb a week loss. I'm not sure the stats at your age, height, activity level, and weight, but your deficit will get smaller as you lose weight (as I'm sure you know) and you won't want to go under 1500 calories a day (as a man) so feasibly you could run the numbers to get your maintenance calories at 275 lbs , 265 lbs, 255 lbs, 245 lbs, etc. to figure out when keeping a 1000 calorie deficit a day would no longer be feasible.

Once you have those numbers you should be able to tell when you should switch to 1.5 lbs a week and 1 lb a week loss.

Of course, you may want to switch sooner if you get to x amount of calories and feel it isn't enough. Also, the numbers may not be *spot* on as sometimes a calculator will say you need to eat x calories to lose weight and you really need to eat fewer or can eat more and still lose x amount of lbs a week, but it should give you a good idea.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Www.trendweight.com (synchs via Fitbit so if you don't have one just open a free Fitbit account and synch it to MFP)

Or

Weightographer.com

Or if you like apps happyscale or libra

From numbers and data gal to numbers and data guy ...you're welcome :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Somewhere in the region of 1% bodyweight loss per week is a good rule of thumb.

I personally wouldn't knowingly slow your rate of loss down purposefully as your body will do this itself. A diet break every 12-16 weeks is a good idea for psychological and physiological reasons.

Good luck to you.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    1% of body weight is usually pretty safe. But why overthink it? I was about your weight before I lost weight. I stuck to a 1000 calorie per day deficit and it got old after a while, but the alternative was that I wouldn't reach my goal. Just keep moving forward.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I know I will not lose at the rate I have going forward, but what is a reasonable rate?
    I figure 2 lbs is still reasonable @ 275. If my "ideal" weight is 185, then that is still 90 lbs.
    When does 2 lbs become unreasonable?
    I'm thinking at 250 I slow down the weight loss to 1.5.
    235 I slow down to 1?

This makes sense to me, especially if you want to preserve muscle as well as possible.

What I personally did (after starting like you did -- losing over 2 despite MFP telling me I'd lose 1.8 at 1200 and despite eating back some exercise calories) was figure that once I had a consistent rate I was happy with (say 2 lb when I was still obese), that I'd stick around the same calories and just let the rate of loss decline as I lost.

So it might be interesting for you to pick a calorie number you like (if exercise is consistent) and run a comparison to TDEE at various weights to see what you could expect sticking at that number for 2017. Basically I started eating at 1600 and just stayed there (I am a 5'3 woman with a goal of 120, so obviously your number would be different.)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    1% of bodyweight will have me losing over 2 lbs per week right up to my goal. Not sure that is doable. I like @lemurcat12 and @everher ideas about figuring out calories at each weight, keeping what I eat the same and seeing what the result should be. Up to now I've been eating ~2000 so eating back some of my exercising, but I have been increasing that as I go along as well so it's kept me at about that level as the base # goes down.

Some more Excel work for me. Goodie.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    1% of bodyweight will have me losing over 2 lbs per week right up to my goal. Not sure that is doable. I like @lemurcat12 and @everher ideas about figuring out calories at each weight, keeping what I eat the same and seeing what the result should be. Up to now I've been eating ~2000 so eating back some of my exercising, but I have been increasing that as I go along as well so it's kept me at about that level as the base # goes down.

Some more Excel work for me. Goodie.

That sounds rational.

In case it helps, I believe that what's behind some of these rules of thumb is that there's some research suggesting that a person can metabolize a maximum of about 30-some calories per pound of body fat per day, and beyond that one risks burning more-than-minimum lean body mass. (The rules of thumb can be quite conservative, based on that measure, depending on your size/weight.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Somewhere in the region of 1% bodyweight loss per week is a good rule of thumb.

I personally wouldn't knowingly slow your rate of loss down purposefully as your body will do this itself. A diet break every 12-16 weeks is a good idea for psychological and physiological reasons.

Good luck to you.

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I lost 1.4 per week (60 year old woman) until I had about 35 pounds left to lose then it really slowed down. I am at a place where I am just overweight and no longer considered obese so I'm fine with a slower rate of loss. Just keep in the back of your head that it may slow down as you get closer to goal. Congrats on you loss!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I know one is leaner, blah blah, but how does ones BODY knows that you are on the last 10 pounds? It baffles me.

Anyway, it WILL slow down and probably not according to your plan. You're doing great, just don't get discouraged when that happens.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I know one is leaner, blah blah, but how does ones BODY knows that you are on the last 10 pounds? It baffles me.

Anyway, it WILL slow down and probably not according to your plan. You're doing great, just don't get discouraged when that happens.

It's not that it knows, it's more that you are smaller so a pound is proportionately more. So if you are a really short lady trying to get from 100lb to 80lb, it will take longer than a big man trying to get from 200 to 180.

• fastingrabbit
    fastingrabbit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »

It's not that it knows, it's more that you are smaller so a pound is proportionately more. So if you are a really short lady trying to get from 100lb to 80lb, it will take longer than a big man trying to get from 200 to 180.

I'm so glad for this thread, because I was wondering about the phrase "stubborn pounds." I guess there is such a thing, and one can expect it to be harder near the end? (I want to get to 125 from 146.)