Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Nutrition

Options
Mendoza7121
Mendoza7121 Posts: 14 Member
How many of you out there believe to get to your fitness goals its 90% nutrition i believe its 90%. feel free to comment your opinions

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    As opposed to 10% exercise? is that what you're getting at?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    How is this measurable?
  • Mendoza7121
    Options
    Yeah 10% exercise
  • Mendoza7121
    Options
    Ive always had hard time gettin the body i want. But when i started dieting the right way things were so much easier
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me and my goals, it is usually 50/50. If I'm not lifting but bulking or cutting I would just end up squishy/higher BF%.. been there done that. Although the percentage can change, sometimes lifting becomes more important than my diet.. for ex. if I'm closer to goal, cutting vs recomp really won't make a big difference... but lifting has to be in that equation for the magic to happen.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Totally depends on the goals. Weight/fat loss happens in the kitchen, but if you want to build muscle, you're going to need exercise.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    What are you basing the percentages on? Your sedentary maintenance calories? If that's the case, my deficit can come 100% from dieting, 100% from exercise (as in eating my sedentary maintenance or more and creating a deficit solely with exercise), or a random mix of both. It really depends on my activity level on any given day.

If you mean a percentage of perceived effort, I find most of my mental effort goes into balancing my food calories. I would say about 80-90%.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to get the body I want by nutrition. I don't think anyone does.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I can get skinny fat with food, not a good look though
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I can get skinny fat with food, not a good look though

This.

That moment when you hit the middle of normal bmi, and realize that you look like a *kitten* alien from an X-Files ripoff.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yeah totally dependent on goals. If all you want is to fit into size x then that can happen entirely in the kitchen/calorie intake. Getting a specific aesthetic is much more 50% doing the right exercise and 50% eating the right calorie goal.

So, depends on the desired end result.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person really. For some people it is extremely difficult to stop the cravings & eat a certain amount. For them I would say you're right. I would never judge an addiction or a craving. Can be anything & happen to anyone really.

For me, once I get in to a good groove, I don't really find the nutrition part that difficult. Its the fitness bit.
    I mean I am not sure about your goals but its difficult to go really heavy weights injury free at the gym as well. Or to run marathons for some others. Or perhaps killing their squad PR's, overhead press PR's, getting that last couple miles in on a run, or pushing really hard on that last 30 seconds on your boxing round.

These things, pushing yourself at the workout you do, including stopping yourself from eating & drinking etc; all need 100% spirit, and 100% determination. My hats off to anyone that are able to fight their own devils day in and out, and wake up the next day to fight again.
  • MrsT1610
    MrsT1610 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think its difficult to quantify in terms of percentages. I have been known to see more of a drop on the scales week to week when I just do it through diet and not exercise but I am much happier with my shape when I include weight training. I also find it easier to stick to a diet if I'm exercising, it just puts me in a more positive mindset...
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Nutrition as in vitamins, minerals, micros and macros? Very low... 20% maybe?

Nutrition as in overall intake? Yep, I'd pretty much agree. As others have said... I'm not sure how you quantify it, but intake is a bigger determinant (for me) than is exercise. 90% might be high... I'd probably go more like 70/30 because both do matter. Intake gives me more immediate progress/results, but exercise has more end-game impact.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I agree that quantifying the exact percentages would be very difficult to do, but I don't think it would be 90% diet for most. If we were talking weight loss only I'd be more inclined to agree, but for fitness (which BTW is different from getting the body you want) I'd bet that activity is always going to be more than 10%.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Hitting fitness goals with food? I don't think it is as high as 90%. The foods I choose will determine my health which will determine how active I am. 90% seems too high.

20 years ago I ran half marathons on the weekends. My long runs were 4 hours and I climbed mountains after work. At the time I was an undiagnosed celiac and my thyroid was untreated. I was also eating a low fat diet. Youth allowed me to power through it.

20 more years of untreated celiac and hashi's, plus more low fat, and my health is a mess. If I climb mountains now, my joints are so inflammed for weeks afterwards that I have a hard time getting up from chairs. I feel pain when walking nevermind running.

For me, saying fitness goals can largely be reached through nutrition is wrong. Health goals? I would say most can be addressed with nutrition.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Disagree. Maybe pure weight is 90% food and 10% exercise, but health is more of a 60/40 split for me because of the systemic benefits of exercise.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The way i look at it, if you want the body you want... the one that many people will never get... it's 100% diet, 100% exercise, 100% recovery. If you're only putting part of the effort into the equation, you can expect to get part of the results.

Edit: wow, what the hell was I trying to type.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    The way i look at it, if you want the body you want... the one that many people will never get... it's 100% diet, 100% exercise, 100% recovery. If you're only putting part of the effort into the equation, you can expect to get part of the results.

HEY!!! I resemble that remark...
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    mendozarm9 wrote: »
    Yeah 10% exercise

I would think a fitness goal would be a lot more than 10% exercise. So if your fitness goal is to run a marathon, 90% of your prep is your food choice? I feel like that's going to be a slow marathon.