ValleyHooper Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Today's Log

I hooped for 46 mins and burned 432 calories

How's everyone else doing?
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    I love how fun hoop dancing can be. It feels as though I am cheating because it's too fun to be a workout lol. Today I hooped for 48 minutes and torched 523 calories.

How's everyone else doing so far? Keep on hooping!

a0gat8afrjgo.jpg

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to the MFP group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/2763-hooping

Not real current.....but maybe you can change that!
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    Cool thanks. :smiley:
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who hula-hoops and I always wanted to give it a try. Can I ask, where would be the best place to look to buy one?
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    NancyCaz61 wrote: »
    I have a friend who hula-hoops and I always wanted to give it a try. Can I ask, where would be the best place to look to buy one?

Hey never mind! I see lots online...my apologies! This really looks like a fun way to exercise :)
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    I have two different hoops at the moment. One is a weighted hoop I bought off of Amazon and the other I got off of etsy. This is a good link to check out in order to find the correct size hoop for you.

http://hoopnotica.com/blogs/stay-in-the-hoop/15471303-you-asked-how-to-choose-the-right-hula-hoop

Please let me know if you have any questions. It's nice to meet you.
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    Ok, so I was asked how I burn so many calories while hooping. Everyone is different and results will vary, but it's all about the amount of energy and effort you put into it. When I hoop I am all over the place. I walk around, use my arms, etc. I try to make it as much a full body workout as possible. If you use a fitness band and heart rate monitor I recommend you use it while you hoop. I always try to keep my bpm up in the higher range. If it starts to drop I pick up the pace.

Here are some things I also do at times to mix things up and keep my heart rate up.

Hoop dance 5-10 mins
    30 jumping jacks
    Hoop another 5-10 mins
    Jog in place 60 sec.
    Hoop 5-10 mins
    Squats 60 sec
    Hoop dance 5-10 mins
    Boxer shuffle 60 sec.

You can mix it up though and add whatever exercises you want.

Don't forget to stretch before and after every workout. Be kind to those muscles, they have been firing up and working hard for you.
  • peanutbuttertuesday
    Options
    I would like to join you hoopers in awesomeness! I tried with a cheapie hoop and found out I need a bigger weighted one. If you start a group please let me know!
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    I would like to join you hoopers in awesomeness! I tried with a cheapie hoop and found out I need a bigger weighted one. If you start a group please let me know!

I'd eventually like to start a challenge but trying to find more hoopers willing to partake in it. :smile:

I was also informed that there is a group for hula hoopers already...here is the link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/2763-hooping

It's not active at the moment. Maybe we can turn that around.
  • hali1
    hali1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I bought a weighted hoop a couple of years ago, I never could figure out the trick to hooping when I was young but then decided to try when I read it's easier with a heavier hoop. I actually surprised myself when I managed to do it! I never could keep it up for more than a few minutes though, and haven't touched it in quite a while. Ya'll are inspiring me to give it another go!
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    @hali1 I hope you do grab your hoop. Let us know how it goes!
  • CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Ok, so I was asked how I burn so many calories while hooping. Everyone is different and results will vary, but it's all about the amount of energy and effort you put into it. When I hoop I am all over the place. I walk around, use my arms, etc. I try to make it as much a full body workout as possible. If you use a fitness band and heart rate monitor I recommend you use it while you hoop. I always try to keep my bpm up in the higher range. If it starts to drop I pick up the pace.

Here are some things I also do at times to mix things up and keep my heart rate up.

Hoop dance 5-10 mins
    30 jumping jacks
    Hoop another 5-10 mins
    Jog in place 60 sec.
    Hoop 5-10 mins
    Squats 60 sec
    Hoop dance 5-10 mins
    Boxer shuffle 60 sec.

You can mix it up though and add whatever exercises you want.

Don't forget to stretch before and after every workout. Be kind to those muscles, they have been firing up and working hard for you.

Thanks for clarifying. The added calisthenics makes sense for the higher burn. When I hoop dance, it's strictly hooping movements.
  • ValleyHooper
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I still burn quite a lot even when I just strictly hoop alone. I am constantly moving around and checking my heart rate. It's an aerobic workout for sure. I try to use as much of my body as possible.
  • sarahnf53
    sarahnf53 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hooper here! Glad to hear there are a few of us on here! I started with a weighted hoop, then I began making my own (1/2 inch irrigation tubing and gaffer tape- it's super easy and fun!) I tried a polypro, but that thing feels so light and weird to me after using heavier hoops and I just can't get into it. I love how hooping makes me feel, and I even got my boyfriend to hoop with me a few times
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    Glad to have you here! I have debated about making my own hoop too. I heard it is pretty easy to do. I just have not got around to it.
  • amy_ross86
    amy_ross86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I LOVE hula hooping! I use my fitness hoop that I purchased at Walmart! I try to do a minimum of 10 minutes every day. I would love to get more into it rather than just standing in one place!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Schlackity wrote: »
    I'm rather large.....and I haven't hula hooped since I was about ten years old. Can you hoop if you're as big as me (think Melissa McCarthy before she lost weight)? I joined a gym and I go there to use the treadmill a few times a week but I need to do other things as well so I don't die of boredom.

Make your own hula hoop! There are directions online that will help you decide the actual diameter you need and you can get the parts at Home Depot. I have a number of hoops, but the one I made at a hoop making party a few years ago is my favorite: the weight is even better than any other I have found!

Some online stores also sell hula hoops in sections and offer extra sections for those of us who need a bit more room.

• rolenthegreat
    rolenthegreat Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've done a bit of hula hooping, and would love to do more! It's a lot of fun and definitely a killer exercise. I'd really like to learn a few new moves if anyone has any youtube suggestions.
  • hollyberry6182
    hollyberry6182 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Schlackity wrote: »
    I'm rather large.....and I haven't hula hooped since I was about ten years old. Can you hoop if you're as big as me (think Melissa McCarthy before she lost weight)? I joined a gym and I go there to use the treadmill a few times a week but I need to do other things as well so I don't die of boredom.

I was 238lbs when I started hooping and wasn't the largest person there.

The weighted hoops are a really good size and you can get them in different sizes. I would recommend them!