Hula Hoopers Unite!

Options
Any fellow hula hoopers out there?

If so what kind of hoop do you use. I use a weighted hoop, and I also have a light LED hoop that I use for dance (attempted dance moves.... still practicing).

Why do I love to hoop? It's a great way to get in shape and it doesn't even feel like you are working out. Seriously... it's such a blast.

Why we hoop.....

Hooping is a complete core workout. (Cue the killer abs.) Hooping regularly can help to whittle your waist and strengthen your stomach muscles while blasting fat in these (often problematic) areas. (Studies that show that hooping burns visceral fat- the fat that is the hardest to get off the older you get, and also the most detrimental to heart health.

It's also a full body workout.Recent studies have suggested that hula hooping works as many as 30 of your body's muscles.

Hooping will make you feel the (calorie) burn. Hooping has been proven to burn over 400 calories per hour.
I just burned 392 calories just in 37 minutes. Yes!!!!

Hooping is good for your heart. You know, the most important muscle of all!!!

Improves your spine's strength and flexibility. The movements require a significant range of motion for your spine while increased practice can train your spine to a greater range of motions than you are used to, increasing your flexibility and even preventing back injuries.

Improves hand-eye co-ordination and motor skills.

"H" Factor. Happiness Get ready to enjoy the wonderful burst of endorphin's you're likely to enjoy after a good session of hooping, this activity can have other, more subtle positive effects on your psyche.

So what are you waiting for? Grab your hoop, blast some tunes, work that body, and GO for it!!!

jje22t1yqyur.jpg

Replies

• CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am also a fellow hooper! Not many of us here. I do Hoopnotica and use a weighted hoop that is especially made for fitness and hoop dancing. Its a great cardio workout!
  • ValleyHooper
    ValleyHooper Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I am also a fellow hooper! Not many of us here. I do Hoopnotica and use a weighted hoop that is especially made for fitness and hoop dancing. Its a great cardio workout!

It's very nice to meet you. Yes, I am hoping we can get some more people love to hoop in here. :smile: I agree, it is an amazing workout for sure.
  • txchics
    txchics Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sounds fun! I'm gonna find my hoop & give it a whirl
  • teicu1
    teicu1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    OMG.... I’m having flashbacks. I was a kid when the late 1950’s craze with the WhamO Hula Hoop hit the US.
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    txchics wrote: »
    Sounds fun! I'm gonna find my hoop & give it a whirl

Awesome!! Be sure to report back and let us know how you do. :smile:
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    teicu1 wrote: »
    OMG.... I’m having flashbacks. I was a kid when the late 1950’s craze with the WhamO Hula Hoop hit the US.

It's a ton of fun and so good for your body too! I am going to take some tape measurements again. It's amazing how fast you see results. Bye bye love handles and hello abs!! Bring on the hula!
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    She is amazing!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz7bYa0Hio0

LED hoops are a lot of fun. I do my hoop dance with it at night in the backyard. It drives my dog crazy, but that's ok.
    I got my LED hoop on ETSY

Here is the hoop I bought https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1086931298
    ioix3rbomsw6.jpg

I also use a weighted hula hoop that I got off of Amazon.

Happy Hooping!!
    led.jpg 50.9K
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This thread inspired me to hula hoop. I have a giant oversized weighted hoop that I haven't used in years
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    omakase619 wrote: »
    This thread inspired me to hula hoop. I have a giant oversized weighted hoop that I haven't used in years

I love it!!! Go grab that hoop, bust out your favorite jam, and have a blast!!!

If you have a fitness tracker with a heart-rate monitor be sure to wear it. Take a look after your fun workout and see how many calories you torched. Report back and share your results. :smile:

Aslo, please feel free to add me as a friend if you like. I love meeting new people.

• ValleyHooper
    Options
    We need more hoopers in here!!! Let's do this!!!
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm rather large.....and I haven't hula hooped since I was about ten years old. Can you hoop if you're as big as me (think Melissa McCarthy before she lost weight)? I joined a gym and I go there to use the treadmill a few times a week but I need to do other things as well so I don't die of boredom.
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    Yes, you can. :) Anyone can hoop that's what is so great about it. I would just look into getting the correct size for you to comfortably hoop. I encourage you to give it a try. I even hoop while watching tv at times....but mostly I love to play my music and walk all over while I hoop. It's amazing exercise with tons of benefits. Plus, it's a lot of fun so you do not even feel like you are exercising.

Please let me know if you need help with anything. It's nice to meet you!
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    omakase619 wrote: »

You asked for a little advice on changing directions while you hoop. Check out Deanne Love, she has a ton of helpful youtube videos. I know she has a video on that specific topic. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

https://www.youtube.com/user/hoopfusion

I am really proud of you for hooping for an hour!! That is awesome! Did you keep track of how many calories you torched?

• ICameToGetDown
    ICameToGetDown Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    @MimiOfTheLusciousLawn check it out :-)
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    If you guys know anyone who loves to hoop or would like to learn please invite them here. I would love to get a good group of us. I was thinking of maybe starting a hooping challenge as well.

As always, please feel free to add me as a friend if you like. <3
  • nord51
    nord51 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Please count me in! I have the hops and the tapes _just lost direction/motivation
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    Awesome Nord51 and welcome1!! Happy to have you here. I am about to go hoop myself right now. I will report back with my calories torched and time hooped. I encourage you to go grab that hoop and give it a spin. :wink: I am here to help motivate you any way I can. Just let me know. I am here for you guys.
  • lizzywilliamsxoxo
    Options
    Has anyone tried the small arm hula hoops before and had any results?
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    Has anyone tried the small arm hula hoops before and had any results?

No, I personally have not. I do move my arms a lot while I hoop. I try to incorporate as much body movement as possible. This is an excellent question though. I also would like to know how well the arm hoops work.