Help! Addictive personality, I do the same thing every day

Options
I wake up, grumpy (have a little one) and have three or four coffees (yes, I know) and generally my overeating starts in the morning. I am so grumpy and tired.

I have done this for years now and each night think tomorrow will be different. I then go to work, having already eaten well, work hard then, work has been full on and comfort eat In a Frenzy when I get home too.

Replies

• surreychic
    surreychic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Whoops I hit reply before finishing. I hope this doesn't deter anyone but I feel like I'm slightly mad. Each evening I think "tomorrow will be different". I wake at five the next morning and look forward to coffee and food. It's become my "comfort".

I used to absolutely love running, the. My knees got painful. Years ago I was motivated by vanity but no longer. I hope I'm a great mum, and I think I am reasonably successful with my career but I am turning to food instead of life for enjoyment. I suppose it's a terrribke habit. My friends says if you don't want to do it don't, but I feel so anxious I seek solace and calm in chocolate, bread, sandwiches! I constantly feel lethargic and feel I am missing that "zest" for life.

I don't know if others have felt the same, and if you managed to regain that passion and motivation for looking after themselves.

I am not trying to diet, but even saying no to overeating feels like deprivation.

So hello, I'm a compulsive and emotional eater. Not happy about it but not quite sure how to give myself that push to face the pain of breaking the habit/ unhealthy way of life whilst entertaining being a mum, wife and maintaining a responsible job. Sigh.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    How much sleep do you get?
  • surreychic
    Options
    Ah sleep, not much. Probably about 6-7 hours but often broken sleep.
  • surreychic
    Options
    Prior to getting married/ having children (and all the other members of my family) would and still do sleep for ten hours a night! My husband needs very little sleep, and interestingly his mother is the same, thrives on 6 hours
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yeah ... I think some version of your day is what most people who have been overweight / who overeat experience. "Tomorrow will be different" or "I'll start Monday" -- and the days and weeks go by with no change.

If you are "addictive," as you say, maybe a wholesale change is the thing to get you into a new routine:
    • Throw out the comfort food?
    • Plan your meals for the week, maybe cook a batch of something today for your lunches, etc.?
    • I wouldn't describe myself as "addictive," but I definitely do well in structures I create for myself, and I like complete change rather than incrementally changing small things over some period of time. If I know what I am going to do food-wise a day or two in advance, then there are no surprises. Eventually a new routine becomes the new normal.

The point is the only answer, really, is setting yourself up to win in this area. If it isn't a complete 180, maybe it's adding in little things and taking away little things at the same time until your "same thing ever day" supports your weight loss. Only you know what will work for you in this regard.

Another idea: hang out a lot in the success stories thread. It can pull you out of your normal, which might be something that also helps in the short and long terms.

Good luck!

Edit: I responded before I saw your addition ...
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary so we can see what's going on foodwise? My first instinct is to mention that one sign of celiac is lethargy, and you mention all that bread, chocolate and sandwiches....those three things in particular hit me hard, so I avoid them....but that's just one little thing that stood out, so I wouldn't say it's anything to worry about.

It's all a head game, and a numbers game. You have to decide, you have to make the choice, to start taking better care of your body. Once you start, the motivation becomes easier to obtain....start with little things, for example the many coffees. Maybe tomorrow, you decide that you are having one in the morning, and one in the afternoon, and that's it for the day. Try it for a week....then next week, maybe consider cutting out/down chocolate for a few days, or bread even....you should find your energy levels slowly coming back.

There is nothing easy or fast about the whole process. Start small, and be gentle with yourself...you can do this! xo
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I would characterize you as being in a rut, not addictive.

I have a couple book recommendations for you.

Habit by Duhigg and

https://www.bullpub.com/catalog/Living-a-Healthy-Life-with-Chronic-Conditions-4th-Edition

Your coffee and your eating are filling a need. Figure out what that need is and find new ways to fulfill it.

Just tackle one habit at a time, not all of them.

I'd start with the sleep pattern frankly. What is giving you restless sleep? You may have to restrict yourself to just water after dinner. Any night time eating and caffeine might be preventing you from enjoying a long restful sleep. If work stress is keeping you awake, keep a notepad by your bed to get those thoughts out of your head.

When I recently needed to improve my sleep I started a new nighttime routine with a mug of chamomile tea and a melatonin patch. It worked like a charm.

https://store.bariatricpal.com/collections/patchmd/products/sleep-starter-topical-patch-30-day-supply
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    The sleep thing may be tough if it's her little one waking her (not sure, but I've been there done that have the t-shirt!)

OP, if the sleep thing is partially due to tending your child can your husband help out in that area? Either he takes certain nights or certain shifts (any waking before 3am for example)? I also find I sleep much better now that I've minimized caffeine.
  • surreychic
    Options
    Hi, thank you for great responses and support.

I can't play the tired card too much as hubby does let me sleep at weekends, during the day I will sleep and catch up a bit but I am always tired. Although wake up more and binge less in the evening, generally.

I've thought there may be an element of depression. I just don't feel excited about anything but it's my mind set. I think how great I would feel if I ate well, was able to not think about food all day long! The thought of it and coffee cheers me up!

I wake up with no motivation.
  • surreychic
    Options
    Hi,

Ok now for the madness. I get up have 3-4 coffees with skimmed milk, and then start snacking on dark chocolate (this can be 100g!!). Will sometimes have protein oats (instant). Mid morning an apple. Another coffee maybe some nuts, something salty as I can feel really tired. Lunch usually 12.00- sandwich- smoked salmon, whole grain bread, butter and piece of fruit. Then if I'm honest 3.30 today I have three whole meal bagels, chicken, blueberries, four slices of fruit toast, a small chocolate brownie.

I felt in a better mood after my carb binge in the afternoon.

I didn't feel manic, only a bit at three pm. Other days I do, I think of work and feel anxious and look forward to my morning coffee. When I finish work I think what I can eat after I have picked up my little one. I do feel manic at those points. It's not hunger as I'm eating a lot!

I think like one previous poster suggested, it probably is filling a gap. Another poster posted everyone has their drug and I honestly feel like food is filling that void. It's what I look Forward to, but also there is that ongoing lethargy, I'm permanently tored
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but I have an overwhelming need to say - stop doing the same thing everyday:)

On a serious note this is a habit you've formed, maybe shake it up and go for a walk first thing in the am, don't bring chocolate in the house for awhile.

Change your mindset = changes in behavior.

I know it sounds too simple but give it a try, it's helped me perhaps it will help you too?
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

* Check out the depression angle - as others have said. Depression can be a wide range of symptoms, including poor sleep, lack of motivation, and so on. It's often not about "sadness". It's often a numbness. It's very typically a lost of interest in things you liked before, too.
    * You may need a sleep study. You may have a sleep disorder such as sleep apnea or even narcolepsy. This can mimic or have co-morbidity with depression.
    * Caffeine can be a blessing or a curse. If you are intaking a lot of coffee it can lead to a nasty disruption in sleep cycle. I would not recommend cutting cold turkey, however.
  • luveydov
    luveydov Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with PPs. Ask your doctor about depression. I did and was prescribed a low dose of prozac. I saw immediate results with some of my eating behaviors. I seemed to stop some binge type eating, where I had to finish every cookie in the pack, and some emotional or boredom eating. It also helped with depression a bit, but it turned out I have Fibromyalgia, so a different fish to fry.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A poor (low in nutrition and/or palatability) diet will intensify cravings; whatever you do that eases discomfort will form habits; habits affect mindset; mindset affect cravings. Plan your meals better, plan meals you look forward to, plan, cook and eat better meals. Get rid of all junk food temporarily, and instead buy enough real, good food for 3-7 days and stay away from shops until next scheduled shopping trip. You won't necessarily feel the effect of a better diet immediately. But you should feel okay enough to be able to keep doing it until you do, and then you will want to do it. Let your habits be your friends, not your enemies.
  • Timberla82
    Timberla82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but I have an overwhelming need to say - stop doing the same thing everyday:)

On a serious note this is a habit you've formed, maybe shake it up and go for a walk first thing in the am, don't bring chocolate in the house for awhile.

Change your mindset = changes in behavior.

I know it sounds too simple but give it a try, it's helped me perhaps it will help you too?

This! ^ You have to replace the morning habit: go for a walk before anything else - even just 15 mins and see if that shakes anything up. I'm a huge fan of routine/habits and I'm really good at getting into unhelpful habits! When I get into an unhelpful one, I can't stop it just by deciding to stop - I have to do something else to take its place. (If you think you might be depressed, definitely go and get it checked out but walking first thing in the morning might even help with that.) Good luck!