Help! Addictive personality, I do the same thing every day

Options
2»

Replies

• surreychic
    surreychic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Fantastic advice here thank you!

Much of the above resonates and I have tried to pm you jndmcharme, but for some reason my fitness pal isn't letting me.

I love the idea of replacing morning routine for something else. I think willpower alone isn't enough! Starting the day on a positive note rather than coffee and food when not hungry.

I also feel I potentially have some depression too. The apathy for everything else in life. Maybe that is just mindset too though.

Lots of food for thought, and honestly this thread has been so encouraging. Thank you.

That ridiculous doing the same thing every day, and so destructive.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Perhaps, it's time to see a medical professional and talk to them about how you're feeling? Very well could be depression.

Outside of that, I would try changing my routine. Getting to bed earlier for more sleep, not eating when first waking, etc.

Some people like to do something they enjoy first thing in the morning to get out of the habit of just eating to eat. Personally, I work out in the mornings before work. I never feel like doing it, but it makes me feel more positive, energized, and awake.

I also would try only eating at scheduled meal times to get out snacking when you're not hungry.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    surreychic wrote: »

Much of the above resonates and I have tried to pm you jndmcharme, but for some reason my fitness pal isn't letting me.

I love the idea of replacing morning routine for something else. I think willpower alone isn't enough! Starting the day on a positive note rather than coffee and food when not hungry.

I also feel I potentially have some depression too. The apathy for everything else in life. Maybe that is just mindset too though.

Lots of food for thought, and honestly this thread has been so encouraging. Thank you.

My depression manifested largely as apathy. I'd encourage you to speak to you doctor.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

I'm not a big fan of depending on "willpower". I was a psych major in college and someone with food issues almost all my life and I think it's largely a dumb idea. I prefer the idea of "having a plan and doing my best to follow through." That's what can be helpful with an eating and exercise plan. It has to be thought out a bit, and written down, and reflected on. For you, it may be helpful when the triggers to eat and drink "unauthorized coffee" hit, think, "oh, this is when I go for a walk instead." And maybe brew a nice cup of herbal tea after you come back to help curb the coffee habit.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,071 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Ok now for the madness. I get up have 3-4 coffees with skimmed milk, and then start snacking on dark chocolate (this can be 100g!!). Will sometimes have protein oats (instant). Mid morning an apple. Another coffee maybe some nuts, something salty as I can feel really tired. Lunch usually 12.00- sandwich- smoked salmon, whole grain bread, butter and piece of fruit. Then if I'm honest 3.30 today I have three whole meal bagels, chicken, blueberries, four slices of fruit toast, a small chocolate brownie.

But not a single solitary vegetable.

• surreychic
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »

I'm not a big fan of depending on "willpower". I was a psych major in college and someone with food issues almost all my life and I think it's largely a dumb idea. I prefer the idea of "having a plan and doing my best to follow through." That's what can be helpful with an eating and exercise plan. It has to be thought out a bit, and written down, and reflected on. For you, it may be helpful when the triggers to eat and drink "unauthorized coffee" hit, think, "oh, this is when I go for a walk instead." And maybe brew a nice cup of herbal tea after you come back to help curb the coffee habit.

Thank you, it's really helpful to not rely on willpower. As quite obviously I don't have much. It's all very well when I'm full of energy no life work stress and motivates, then I can happily pass on the bread, maybe overeat but I don't binge and do moderation well. However, when real life sets in, I can overeat and it's very hard to stop in that moment. Lovely view "having a plan and doing best to follow it".

Thank you for sharing.
  • surreychic
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Hi,

Ok now for the madness. I get up have 3-4 coffees with skimmed milk, and then start snacking on dark chocolate (this can be 100g!!). Will sometimes have protein oats (instant). Mid morning an apple. Another coffee maybe some nuts, something salty as I can feel really tired. Lunch usually 12.00- sandwich- smoked salmon, whole grain bread, butter and piece of fruit. Then if I'm honest 3.30 today I have three whole meal bagels, chicken, blueberries, four slices of fruit toast, a small chocolate brownie.

Ah I do eat veggies and fruit. It honestly I can overlay on them too! However am in agreement, eating a whole cabbage isn't quite as bad as a loaf of bread!
  • surreychic
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

My depression manifested largely as apathy. I'd encourage you to speak to you doctor.

Thank for your sharing and honestly: I think depression pmt is part of it and now tackling this. Hope you are better (?) x
  • surreychic
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    Perhaps, it's time to see a medical professional and talk to them about how you're feeling? Very well could be depression.

Outside of that, I would try changing my routine. Getting to bed earlier for more sleep, not eating when first waking, etc.

Some people like to do something they enjoy first thing in the morning to get out of the habit of just eating to eat. Personally, I work out in the mornings before work. I never feel like doing it, but it makes me feel more positive, energized, and awake.

I also would try only eating at scheduled meal times to get out snacking when you're not hungry.

Yes good idea. I'm realising I'm using food to pick myself up a lot. Actually at my slimmest I just used to snack on dark chocolate during the day and have supper in the evening, I have recently been away and we had scheduled meals but I have gained 5 lbs (the food was healthish hummus/ pizza/ porridge/ salad!) So I'm slightly worried my weight will hugely climb too!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Hi,

Ah I do eat veggies and fruit. It honestly I can overlay on them too! However am in agreement, eating a whole cabbage isn't quite as bad as a loaf of bread!
    I think it's worse. The calories may be lower in the cabbage, but the eating disorder deeper in order to eat a whole cabbage than a loaf of bread (depends on the sizes of the cabbage and the bread, obviously, but bread is easier to overeat and would give more pleasure, at least initially).
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Thank for your sharing and honestly: I think depression pmt is part of it and now tackling this. Hope you are better (?) x

Much better, thank you :smile: That was several years ago. Good luck, and I hope you find the right mix of treatment and lifestyle for your own well-being!
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Honestly - you've described exactly how I felt when my depression was the worst. Apathy, lack of energy, and using food (especially carbs) and caffeine as a desperately needed jolt of energy. Glad to hear you are looking into the depression angle.
  • surreychic
    Options
    Honestly - you've described exactly how I felt when my depression was the worst. Apathy, lack of energy, and using food (especially carbs) and caffeine as a desperately needed jolt of energy. Glad to hear you are looking into the depression angle.

Thank you for replying jeepster. How are you now? If you are better, how did you recover?
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Ah sleep, not much. Probably about 6-7 hours but often broken sleep.

Look up "sleep and weight"
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/sleep-and-weight-gain/faq-20058198
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_and_weight

You seem to be reaching for coffee and food to make up for the poor sleep
    When I was sleep deprived I definitely overate to compensate. Things are better when my sleep is better.
    You may want to explore your sleep issues to help resolve your eating issues.

I agree with this. When I don't get enough sleep I tend to overeat the next day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Ah sleep, not much. Probably about 6-7 hours but often broken sleep.

Look up "sleep and weight"
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/sleep-and-weight-gain/faq-20058198
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_and_weight

You seem to be reaching for coffee and food to make up for the poor sleep
    When I was sleep deprived I definitely overate to compensate. Things are better when my sleep is better.
    You may want to explore your sleep issues to help resolve your eating issues.

I agree with this. When I don't get enough sleep I tend to overeat the next day.

This and what I want are foods that don't satiate me.

@surreychic you may be giving your blood sugar a roller coaster ride - try eating a much higher proportion of protein first thing in the AM. That relief you feel from eating carbs is short lived and will set you up for another crash.
    • Try adding protein powder to your coffee (but you may need to let it cool just a bit or the powder will clump.)
    • You could eat eggs, or non-traditional breakfast foods.
    • FYI, nuts are better at providing fat and calories than protein

I have other questions about what you are eating which would be simplest to resolve if you would please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I feel you when you say that you're missing the zest of life. Make yourself do uncomfortable things. Make time for the arts, even if you feel like you don't fit in or whatever. Do nice things for yourself, get some random Korean face care products. Join Goodreads and use your library card to hunt down books outside of your comfort zone. Buy 1 weird vegetable and 1 weird fruit when you go shopping. Admit something to yourself that you normally wouldn't and keep it as a fun secret.

I mean, not all at once, but there are some ideas. We live in an incredible world that we only ever get to see slivers of. Try and look for the rest! Get that zest zestin'.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    See if you can improve your sleep. I think your vicious cycle here is worth trying to climb out of. When I started working nights I over ate to compensate for my lack of sleep and lack of energy. Food is a temporary fix to the sleep problem, it gives you energy for a few hours but then you crash, especially eating lots of simple think "easy" carbs and sugar. Coffee is fine in moderation but the dependency on it is not. You seem to be using a lot of coping mechanisms and perhaps there is some underlying anxiety (thinking about work triggering a binge) and depression (losing your zest and the I'll try again tomorrow mentality). Don't be afraid to speak to a doctor if you feel out of control. Sometimes medication can be just the thing to get the ball rolling and allow you to cope better with the stressors and therefore get back to your good habits. The good habits will often (not always) turn around the depression and if you can manage that sometimes you can exercise a bit more and that can help tremendously with anxiety.
    The biggest thing is picking something you can take a step in the right direction of. Take a 10 min walk, have one less coffee, don't eat a second helping, try to go to sleep earlier or take a nap instead of the mindless eating when tired. If nothing helps, see a doctor.

Best of luck!
  • surreychic
    Options
    I have only just caught up with the respite responses here! Thank you. Definitel food for thought and will respond later, thanks so much again!!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Working through the EDA workbook really was the key for me personally healing my dysfunctional relationship with food. When it becomes a compulsion it is hard to break the cycle initially. The workbook guided me and helped me confront my behaviors to change them.