For those that struggled with the last 10 lbs

Options
I've seen lots of talk about how hard it was (and how long it took) to lose the last 10 lbs. I have been wondering about this, is it physically harder to keep the deficit going since you are at a "normal" weight, or does the mental dedication wane? Or is it something else?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts and personal experience.

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I believe it has something to do with the weight your body feels is optimal. Once you've reached your optimal weight (which is usually different from your "ideal" weight) your body will begin to retain calories again. For example, my doctor states that he wants to see me back down to 180, (I'm 6 feet tall) however when I hit around 190 my body simply refuses to let me shed anymore weight. My natural healthy balance is a muscular 190 pounds. From here, you have two choices. 1) Be patient and allow your body to begin shedding weight much slower at about 1/2 pound per week, or 2) go on a starvation diet.

I'm not convinced of this theory. For me, it has been difficult mentally more so than physically. It took 3 years to get to that last 10-15 lbs. and I've been stuck there for months. But for me, losing was very difficult as well - more difficult both physically (and mentally as a result of the physical difficulty) for the first 3 years. My rate of loss was 1/4 lb. per week on average, so 1/2 lb. per week would be spectacular! Despite allowing myself some occasional all-out cheat days during the initial weight loss phase (they became smaller and less often over time to from 3-4 times to only 1-2 times per year), I never have been able to get over the idea that I'm always hungry. The all-out cheat days may be happening less often, but the un-planned days where I'm 2K-8K calories over maintenance seem to have become more frequent.

At this point, I'm planning to change my diet further. A year ago, I went low carb and started finally seeing more significant losses. That 1/4 lb. per week average is actually much lower at first and about half of what I've lost has been just in the past year. But that slowed down after about 8-9 months. Over that time, I kept lowering carb intake further and further, but when I stopped changing (about 20g-30g per day net carbs), the weight loss stalled and it became more difficult (again) psychologically to continue to feel like I'm starving AND to not have any weight loss. I can feel like I'm starving if I see some results... even painfully slow results... but I can't stand to both feel like I'm starving AND to see no scale benefit.

Two weeks ago, I was traveling and ended up eating more food (and more carbs as a result of higher volumes of foods) while traveling and decided to keep it up for a 2 week "refeed." I'm not restricting calories, but am now really trying to stay low carb. Over the past year, I had to keep cutting carbs to keep seeing losses. Starting later this week, I'm going to switch to a "zero carb" (just trace carbs in animal products - practically no plant products) diet for 2 months to see if I can finally lose that last 10-15 lbs. of fat.

One of my 2017 resolutions is to reach 10% body fat. I'll get a Bodpod or Dexa scan later this year when I think I'm close. If I lose 10 lbs., I think I should be around 7% body fat based on my best estimates as of today.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    For me, it's not logging, weighing and measuring closely enough. I was able to lose the first 15lbs with fairly sloppy tracking but the inaccuracies in my CI are keeping me from getting rid of my last bit of vanity weight.
  • whiskeykittentoo
    whiskeykittentoo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with my last 10-12 pounds for the last 8 months... I hover around 138-143 per week (I'm 5'6" and lightly active - I hike/walk trails every morning with my dogs and it ranges from 1 mile to 3 miles, depending on weather and how my dogs are feeling) so my burn varies every day.
    I tried low carb (keto/paleo) and I didn't see ANY progress on the scale, but I did see some loss of belly fat and inches (admittedly, it didn't feel like much at the time, but looking at photos of myself before... I can see it was more than I realised)
    So I am now trying IIFYM and even that, I've fiddled with the macro levels (the suggestions for carbs felt WAY too high for me, especially after having some success with low carb) and I also dropped the calorie intake suggestion WAY down (it was over 2200!! There's no WAY I'm going to lose weight/fat on that!) to 1200-1400 (depending on my activity that day, if that makes sense?)
    I lost 20 pounds in 3 months, before this, but gained 12 back when we moved (Germany to the USA) as I could not be as active here (too bloody hot and humid) so it's been a battle for me.
    I eat healthily, I occasionally "indulge" but not very often, and I'm now careful of what carbs I eat (I am trying to avoid breads, pastries, etc, and stick to vegetable carbs like sweet potato, potato, and brown rice) so I am HOPING that it will break this horrible stall I'm in.

• Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    For me, it's not logging, weighing and measuring closely enough. I was able to lose the first 15lbs with fairly sloppy tracking but the inaccuracies in my CI are keeping me from getting rid of my last bit of vanity weight.

Agreed. Accuracy really helps with a small deficit (and small margin of error).

To be honest, I think of maintenance as a constant state of re-gaining and re-losing the last 5 pounds, and I don't mean that in a bad way. It's just how it is for me. When I slack off on measuring/logging, my weight will creep up. Never down. Always up. When I hit that 5lb up point, I buckle down with logging at a 250cal deficit for several weeks until I'm back in range.

If you are dialing back your deficit as you get closer to goal, losing "the last 10 pounds" will look really similar to maintenance, and hopefully that is easily sustainable for you!

Very good info right there! Exactly how I look at maintenance as well. For example, I am always up a few lbs ON MONDAYS then those weekend water weight lbs go away by thurs or fri, eat out on the weekend, party etc, then up again monday rinse repeat lol

• born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

Agreed. Accuracy really helps with a small deficit (and small margin of error).

To be honest, I think of maintenance as a constant state of re-gaining and re-losing the last 5 pounds, and I don't mean that in a bad way. It's just how it is for me. When I slack off on measuring/logging, my weight will creep up. Never down. Always up. When I hit that 5lb up point, I buckle down with logging at a 250cal deficit for several weeks until I'm back in range.

If you are dialing back your deficit as you get closer to goal, losing "the last 10 pounds" will look really similar to maintenance, and hopefully that is easily sustainable for you!

Haha, yea, I've stopped trying to lose any more weight. I'm into maintenance and recomp now.

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    First of all don't know if you read anything about what people talked as a set point but your body does not have a set point it's simply comes down to a matter of eating less calories than your body Burns and you will keep on losing weight.

To put things in perspective I've lost 80 pounds since January 1st 2016 I decided to go into maintenance around September 1st 2016 my weight at the time was 220 pounds. I totally screwed maintenance up when is low as 203. Currently I'm about 207 and I like where I am. I'm doing a body recomp now where am increasing my calories and adding a lot of extra protein to build up some muscle. I know I probably gained some weight but that's not an issue for me it's more inches and how I feel.

Losing the weight is 95% mental and 5% physical, if you think you can't do it you probably won't. As far as having the final weight goal number that number is going to fluctuate it'll never be a static number.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It wasn't motivation for me - I'm still logging 5 years later. It took me longer to lose the last 5 pounds than the previous 25. I just slowed. However, I eventually went 8 pounds under the bottom of my goal range and had to up my calories before I stabilized.