Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LonsyBoy wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    numbers are just the equivalent of Vegans and anyone else who needs to brag to prove they are heros and superior... majority of the Olympians dont need to lift heavy for show and i doubt youll ask if they even lift haha

What?

How do you know someones a Vegan? Dont worry, they'll tell you!

If you can catch my drift of number braggers youll see why its a Wan**rs bragging tool "Oh i can lift this much" but noone really cares...
    Better to walk into a room and people know you lift big (physical muscle appearance) then be a guy that needs to brag about lifting big (small appearance or large and no muscular shape)

In your (obviously biased) opinion.

Most powerlifters couldn't give a crap less about what people think of their physique. They're about how much weight they can put up, not kissing their biceps while taking selfies in the gym mirrors or looking like an underwear model.

And any powerlifter who can put up serious weight isn't exactly going to look like a pansy.

Im talking from experience from the guys who don't compete or have any real reason to lift heavy other than an ego factor, and those serious guys wont brag numbers or even care about mentioning it

You have a point here. Hell, my lifts are sad AF imo, and I still don't bother bringing them up unless specifically asked...and dammit, why does everyone want to know my bench? Benching is a glorified fun lift at best. No one ever asks for my deadlift. /sadface

Hey, @Gallowmere1984, what do you deadlift? ;)

About 60 pounds less than my target for my first meet, so the answer is: not enough. :D
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    numbers are just the equivalent of Vegans and anyone else who needs to brag to prove they are heros and superior... majority of the Olympians dont need to lift heavy for show and i doubt youll ask if they even lift haha

What?

How do you know someones a Vegan? Dont worry, they'll tell you!

If you can catch my drift of number braggers youll see why its a Wan**rs bragging tool "Oh i can lift this much" but noone really cares...
    Better to walk into a room and people know you lift big (physical muscle appearance) then be a guy that needs to brag about lifting big (small appearance or large and no muscular shape)

In your (obviously biased) opinion.

Most powerlifters couldn't give a crap less about what people think of their physique. They're about how much weight they can put up, not kissing their biceps while taking selfies in the gym mirrors or looking like an underwear model.

And any powerlifter who can put up serious weight isn't exactly going to look like a pansy.

Im talking from experience from the guys who don't compete or have any real reason to lift heavy other than an ego factor, and those serious guys wont brag numbers or even care about mentioning it

You have a point here. Hell, my lifts are sad AF imo, and I still don't bother bringing them up unless specifically asked...and dammit, why does everyone want to know my bench? Benching is a glorified fun lift at best. No one ever asks for my deadlift. /sadface

Hey, @Gallowmere1984, what do you deadlift? ;)

About 60 pounds less than my target for my first meet, so the answer is: not enough. :D

It's never enough. Always 5 more pounds that can be squeezed on the bar.
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    ^^^Indeed.
    I get that people can be humble-and some people WON'T or are not comfortable sharing.... but I think it's dishonest and unfair to say "if you bring it up your ego lifting and or insecure"
    whatever dude- I don't care because I am secure about myself.

But I'm also very proud of my work. Why can't I be proud of it and willing to share? There is a difference between bragging all over to try to make yourself feel better and just be proud of the work you've done.

Valid point!

I rarely myself post numbers or talk about them, unless someone asks me a straight up question. I personally have no problem with others being excited about their accomplishments. In fact, I like to share in my "Gym Families" accomplishments. When you spend 2/hrs a day 5-6 days a week at the gym, you make some pretty close relationships. In my experience, it's only those outside of the gym that ask about numbers, not because they're being rude or whatnot, but because at the gym ppl can already see what you're lifting.

While I might not talk too much about my "numbers" I do openly brag about not eating donuts that day.. The struggle is real!..:-)
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Someone who has never trained before tend to love running their mouth. Tell your friend to do squat with the bar only of 12 reps and see his twig like leg shake lol
  • CodyAnn81
    CodyAnn81 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've only been lifting for almost 2 months and I'm at 125lbs- 3 sets of 10. Not stopping there though- only getting stronger.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    If your friend is untrained there's no way in hell he could squat anywhere NEAR what he thinks he can if we are talking about a squat that gets below parallel.

And if you ARE going to compare numbers with other people (which you generally shouldn't, IMO) then the squat tends to have the most disparity because many people THINK they squat X weight when they actually do quarter squats and so you can't really compare a high squat to a legit squat.

And this is why I love the deadlift. You either pick that *kitten* up, or you don't; there is no in between. Well, except for maybe bar humpers, but no one can be dumb enough to believe that's legit.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »

What does this means? How do you know you've progressed if you haven't tracked your numbers? How will you ever achieve your fitness goals without progressive overload? Silly.

So youll need to openly brag and have everyone else begging to know your numbers just to see you've been making self progress? I dont go bragging about my new PRs on lifts or my new workout routines for the sake of a self entitled crown because of a few numbers with plates

My point is, noone cares... you may care much like seeing the scales or shirt sizes reducing or getting tighter in the right spots but noone needs to brag and rub themselves in areas of proving an ego, if you are getting new PRs constantly and feeling great then awesome! but we dont need to hear comparisons or ego numbers to verify someone

This post was about a guy bragging about his squat weight compared to a female lifter, so identify the topic here and stick to it, dont pull out the muscle shirts covered in the blood of your fallen victims to start some waste of time response
    Unpopular wildly vain and does not give a flk opinion:

It took me a year to put 10 pounds on my dead lift. I literally ran around my gym Saturday afternoon and demanded everyone watch the video.

I don't care that you don't care- you're going to watch and pat me on the *fcking back for all my hard work.

I annoyingly start texting people I know too... I'm like, Hey whatcha got on this! :smiley:
  • wainyb
    wainyb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm currently squatting 140kg with a knee plate and 8 bolts up in there too. 3 sets 6-8 reps. Your friend need to put his money where his mouth his and take up your challenge, I hope you blow him out the water
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    *Update
    Made it up to 5x5 @ 245, progress has been steady.
  • JamesCM1910
    JamesCM1910 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Every man should be able to squat his body weight x20 that's a standard for my boys and I. Add me if he wants a good leg routine.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Every man should be able to squat his body weight x20 that's a standard for my boys and I. Add me if he wants a good leg routine.

Bodyweight x 20??

I assume you mean 2. Also not many people can do that, especially not in commercial gyms.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Bodyweight x 20??

I assume you mean 2. Also not many people can do that, especially not in commercial gyms.

Think he means 20 reps at Bodyweight
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You don't hear people talking about squats for 20 too often. I can squat my bulk body weight for 20- and it's not "easy" but I wouldn't consider it a strength trial.

It's a rep thing- which is muscle endurance. Yeah you have to be reasonably strong- but I wouldn't call that some sort of strength standard.

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Bodyweight x 20??

I'm sure he meant x 20 - not many do it - it's too painful - it will build muscle- It's more mental- if you can do 10 reps or a 5x5 with a weight you can do 20 - do it in doubles or singles - breath a lot -rest when you have to - just don't rack the bar until you get your 20 - Eastcoast Jim

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Bodyweight x 20??

Think he means 20 reps at Bodyweight

Now I look foolish. Makes much more sense ;)
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I started with 95 lbs. I'm going to try doing 225 lbs for 5x5 this evening. I suspect I wouldn't have been able to do 132 lbs/60 kg when I first started...if I had tried I'm sure it would have been with an atrocious form at the very best.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Can we still throw out humblebrags?
    Because I just hit a new PR. B)
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Concerned content troll has to tell everyone he doesn't care what you lift. How did we know that?

Because he *just* had tell us.

** triple eye roll **

(413lb [187kg] on the platform)