You know what I hate!!

Options

Replies

• dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    mskimee wrote: »
    Recipes that don't give specific measurements!! No offence to the Americans on here, but what the **** is a cup?? How big of a cup? And a "dash" of soy sauce could be anything from a teaspoon full to a full on tidal wave. And there are times that google won't help at all, it gives you different weights for a cup measurement. :D

These are measurements for volume.
    1 cup is 8 oz
    3/4 cup is 6 oz
    1/2 cup is 4 oz
    1/3 cup is 2 1/3 oz
    1/4 cup is 2 oz
    Then you get into Tablespoons and teaspoons which are 1 oz and less.

Some people like to use measuring cups and some like to weigh. I prefer to use a food scale and weigh out everything in grams. I only use measuring cups if my scale is broken. I will add, sometimes depending on the density of a certain item the weight may not be 8 oz for a cup.

n8l0hairag1i.jpg

You meant liquid ounces, right? Because '8 liquid ounces' will be just as useless for a French person than 'a cup', lol.

Because 1 cup is definitely not always 8oz of solids. Weights /= volumes.

I also dislike cup measurements in recipes and would rather use an English or French recipe whenever possible (or King Arthur).

This is a much better conversion table of volume/weights but it's still completely off for some recipes (I tried 120g of flour for one cup for bread once... total disaster)

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/ingredient-weight-chart.html
    Cup is volume. Liquid, i.e. 'fluid ounce' (fl oz) is implied. Convert to ml not grams.

For anyone wondering what a pinch, dash is: about 1/8th teaspoon. But it's more fun to do the actual pinch/dash
  • dpwellman
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I strongly dislike

Interpersonal dynamics:
    when I make a suggestion and that suggestion is ignored or poo-pooed only to be adopted weeks later.

Traffic:
    Drivers who follow to closely. Leave a gap. Tailgating is whats slowing us all down.
    Drivers that do not stop at or before the stop bar. You have to stop there, then you can inch forward if you have to.
    Drivers turning right without looking right and turning left without looking left. Drivers must check rights of way in both directions. It is illegal to not yield to a pedestrian right of way.

• fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    mskimee wrote: »
    Recipes that don't give specific measurements!! No offence to the Americans on here, but what the **** is a cup?? How big of a cup? And a "dash" of soy sauce could be anything from a teaspoon full to a full on tidal wave. And there are times that google won't help at all, it gives you different weights for a cup measurement. :D

Ha! I'm an American and I totally get that too. Go to google and type in something like "1 cup in mL". It'll bring up a calculator that shows you the precise equivalent. For us, a "cup" is an actual measurement, not like saying one mug full or one glass-full.
  • dpwellman
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    dpwellman wrote: »
    I strongly dislike
    Drivers turning right without looking right

This is my biggest peeve as a runner. And summer.
    What we need is an Airzound for runners
  • JustMissTracyToo
    JustMissTracyToo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Things I hate:

Cold
    Hot
    Working
    Not Working
    The sound of people yelling
    Cold food that should be hot
    Hot food that should be cold
    Empty milk bag in the fridge will make me scream!
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I hate those recipes that call for using a box of cake mix or that call for a store bought pie crust. Are people so inept that they can't mix a few ingredients together? If you don't care enough about taste to make a pie crust, you might as well buy a pie from the bakery.

My pie filling tastes one hell of a lot better than any store-bought pie filling. But if I don't want to make crust (and the best-tasting and flakiest recipes are a pain in the *kitten*) I make a crumble or cobbler.

I hate tech support lines and their irritating scripts. Yes, I've done all the troubleshooting steps already. Can we please not waste another hour doing them again?!

I hate when I call tech support and have this conversation:

ME: I keep getting an error message when I do _____ thing. I already cleared my cookies and restarted my browser. Twice, just to make sure.

IT: Did you clear your cookies and restart your browser?

ME: Yes, I already said that.

IT: Can you describe the problem to me?

ME: *explains problem again*

IT: Well I'm not having that problem so I'm not sure what to tell you.

ME: SERIOUSLY?!?!?! I'm not calling about YOUR computer!!! *bangs head on desk*
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    RobzMonty wrote: »
    I hate people who hide behind a clipart for their profile pic.

...oh wait. maybe that's why I'm fat?! dammit jim.
    I just realized I hate myself.
    Eh. I'll get over it...

:smile: 23 down, 29 to go.
    1 lb a week for a year, America!! Do it!

This isn't clipart. It's my actual cat.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    abrubru wrote: »
    Parents who get upset with teachers because their child is failing a high school class when the parent refuses to send the child to school because they have to walk in the snow.

Teaching metric measure to American students merely for the purpose of Science class.

I remember hearing teachers say to students you have to learn the metric system come up a lot in conversations. It was posed more as a threat similar to the way 'all year school' was tossed around.

I had no clue nor did most of us in school even understand what the metric system was. Rulers had 2 sides but had no idea why. :laugh: :blush: I really do wish the US school systems had taught us all more of the metric system.

I find I use so much of it here on MFP it amazes me how much math I use on here. I really draw from what I learned when I was little, so sure I would never use those math skills again. ;) Fractions, decimals, metric (the bit that I learned), etc. Geometry, Trigonometry, Algebra 4.. bah!

It's by joining this site that I've found that I actually love Math and am far better at it than I thought I was... who knew!? :laugh: For me this has become far more than a fitness site :D
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I also hate when people don't pick up their dog's poop. One of the schools in my area had the students make these pictures and they hung them all over the corner where the bus stop is. There's about 100 of them hanging out there. It's amazing!qhwawrj0el8h.jpg

My neighbor's dog poos in MY yard, not his own. After much discussion with the neighbor "oh I'll pick it up" and then never does, we have started picking it up, putting it on a paper plate and leaving it on his front door step and even in front of his garage. Those poo plates miraculously disappear but he STILL won't pick up after his dog. Last time, we put the paper plate of poo on the hood of his car with a less than kind note ... waiting to see if anything happens with that!

Why on a plate? :laugh: Waiting to hear back as well... please post if you hear something! Well that dog is trained well.. poop in the neighbors yard instead of your own. UGH

What if you toss it back in the dog owners yard? It's his property, it doesn't belong to you... it's just not right to have someone else's property in your yard. It's best to return it back to the owner which you've been doing maybe a new method is needed? o:)
  • Hearts_2015
    edited March 2017
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    I strongly dislike

Interpersonal dynamics:
    when I make a suggestion and that suggestion is ignored or poo-pooed only to be adopted weeks later.

Traffic:
    Drivers who follow to closely. Leave a gap. Tailgating is whats slowing us all down.
    Drivers that do not stop at or before the stop bar. You have to stop there, then you can inch forward if you have to.
    Drivers turning right without looking right and turning left without looking left. Drivers must check rights of way in both directions. It is illegal to not yield to a pedestrian right of way.

More poo issues...

I hear ya on the traffic annoyances!