Weight lifting

Options
I have lost 31lbs of 50 lbs that I want to loose strictly by calorie counting and cardio. I would now like to incorporate weightlifting. I'm really not a fan of it however, I know it is necessary. When and how should I begin?

Replies

• alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Find a free workout plan (you can search beginner workout plan too!) online. There are tons on Bodybuilding.com. Start small/light, work your way up. Work on form as much as possible. Watch videos, ask questions, and work on it until you are close to perfecting each exercise. Form > everything. If at all possible, hire a trainer. If not, no biggie. I got to where I am mostly on my own.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Begin by defining a goal(s) to achieve...
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

This and 5x5 Stronglifts. The app tells you what to lift and it's not time-consuming.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Read the sticky post in this forum.

I have not been impressed with most Bodybuilding.com workouts.

What equipment do you have access to?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

This and 5x5 Stronglifts. The app tells you what to lift and it's not time-consuming.

Agreed. You can check out Stronglifts at stronglifts.com, and download the app.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Have a read of the link below.
    Maybe something like the nerdfitness bodyweight routine would suit you as no weights are required.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I have lost 31lbs of 50 lbs that I want to loose strictly by calorie counting and cardio. I would now like to incorporate weightlifting. I'm really not a fan of it however, I know it is necessary. When and how should I begin?

weight lifting isn't necessary . If you aren't a fan, dont do it. Find a sport or activity that you enjoy
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

weight lifting isn't necessary . If you aren't a fan, dont do it. Find a sport or activity that you enjoy

Progressive strength is necessary to retain muscle. Not every activity accomplishes that, although many help overall fitness.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Progressive strength is necessary to retain muscle. Not every activity accomplishes that, although many help overall fitness.

you dont have to lift weights to lose weight and be fit and healthy.
  • chixabomb
    chixabomb Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used nerd fitness for research and downloaded several apps until I found one that suited me and my check list of what I need (I use female fitness but alter it for 5x5 stronglift reps). Then when I was ready to make my way onto the free weight floor I did one personal training session to learn form and what everything was. I found this gave me the confidence to start.
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I went to an informational training session with a personal trainer years and years ago when I wanted to start getting into weightlifting. She talk to me about what my goals were and showed me a bunch of different exercises I could do. Most gyms have a complementary training session when you sign up and I would suggest taking advantage of that so you can learn the proper form. Then just start light and work your way up. There are a ton of different weightlifting options. Some people love the machines, some people love free weights, some people love kettle bells.

If you want to gain more muscle and are not someone who plays a sport or really does an athletic activity for hours daily, weightlifting is needed to gain the kind of muscle that it seems like you want.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

What don't you like about it? It can be extremely rewarding and accomplishing if done right. Of course, I despise cardio like a bowl full of raw kale, so I get you might just not like it. Just curious if there is a reason that might be fixed/resolved?

ETA: Great work on your success so far!! That's awesome!
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

Definitely this! Your goals really determine what you need to do. We all have different goals and needs.
    Then I would say, find something you enjoy to reach your goals. Personally I love weightlifting, so that's perfect for me. Maybe you would enjoy kettle bells, or machines vs. free weights. Maybe aerobics with resistance bands. There are many options. Whatever you choose, do something you will want to stick with. That's really the key to lasting fitness success. It's not a diet or quick fix. Those are temporary. It's all about lifestyle choices.
    Have fun with it and challenge yourself.
  • quintessential1
    quintessential1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Great responses folks, I will take my time and do some research on it. I would like to improve my posture and increase strength.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

you dont have to lift weights to lose weight and be fit and healthy.

I agree you don't have to lift weights to lose weight and be fit and healthy. But you do have to do progressive strength training to retain the most muscle while losing. Working a treadmill won't do that for you, although it has other benefits. There are about a million well documented threads on MFP about why progressive strength training is important.

@quintessential1 OP, if you dislike weights per se, you could look into TRX suspension training or kettlebells. These also can be used for progressive strength training and you might find one of them more enjoyable.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    My genetics really suck. I will always have a skinny ( the cardio above) bum even though I lift. At least it doesn't jiggle as much now :)

Cheers, h.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    11034914_10153119468659530_2601811962775798194_n.jpg

More realistically, those should say "Genetics" and "Genetics".

Woman on the left is never going to have a caboose like woman on the right and vice versa.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    11034914_10153119468659530_2601811962775798194_n.jpg

Well no matter how much I lift I will never look like the one on the right.

I will say, the girl on the left .. those loose shorts do not do her justice, I bet she's got some nice booty going on under there ;)
  • Staceygram
    Staceygram Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My genetics really suck. I will always have a skinny ( the cardio above) bum even though I lift. At least it doesn't jiggle as much now :)

Cheers, h.

It's ok. I dont/currently can't lift but I'm built more like the one on the right.