Pre-Workout Drinks are a scam

Options

Replies

• Seant456
    Seant456 Posts: 70 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    wow these threads kill me up.... use pre workout or don't; drink 10,000Mg of caffeine or don't, who cares.... but if your using something other than FOOD as the catalyst for your energy during a workout you are not doing your body any favors.....
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Seant456 wrote: »
    wow these threads kill me up.... use pre workout or don't; drink 10,000Mg of caffeine or don't, who cares.... but if your using something other than FOOD as the catalyst for your energy during a workout you are not doing your body any favors.....

Other than the fact that pre-workouts are food just like anything else that contains micro/macro nutrients..........coffee is food, sweet tea is food, coca cola is food. Steroids are not food. Other than that, I completely agree. :neutral:

• Seant456
    Seant456 Posts: 70 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Other than the fact that pre-workouts are food just like anything else that contains micro/macro nutrients..........coffee is food, sweet tea is food, coca cola is food. Steroids are not food. Other than that, I completely agree. :neutral:

great observation thank you for your incite... yes technically it is food cuz you put it in your mouth..... and you missed my point food such as red meat, poultry, fruits and veg, bananas, apples, pasta need to be the primary source of supplementation for energy don't depend on caffeine and pre workout for energy.... as these FOODS provide the best benefits.... anyway carry on debating about Mg of caffeine what qualifies as food, and all that.. im about to eat a steak and eggs and potatoes in preparation for training tonight....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    BHFF wrote: »
    The FDA recommends 100 to 200mg a day. Most pre-workouts have between 135 235 mg per scope. Almost all of the food we eat has caffeine in it and a lot of the drinks we drink have caffeine in them. Which means we are well above are recommended dose from the FDA. Furthermore the FDA classifies caffeine as a drug.

so do you also think that water is dangerous because if you drink too much of it one will die?

context and dosage is everything...
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I was just being pedantic. I know what you meant and I get it. My point was we all need to be a little more clear. I personally disagree, but that's ok too.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Ginseng green tea water with lemon all work too I did the caffeine n it lost it's zip after awhile
  • figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a fat burner that I bought ages ago (cellucor HD) - I'm well aware it's not actually burning any fat but it helps me focus when I need an extra kick in the butt that coffee just isn't providing. That said - they're gimmicky for sure and I think it's important not to rely on them every time you need to exert yourself.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have a fat burner that I bought ages ago (cellucor HD) - I'm well aware it's not actually burning any fat but it helps me focus when I need an extra kick in the butt that coffee just isn't providing. That said - they're gimmicky for sure and I think it's important not to rely on them every time you need to exert yourself.

I agree with you as you know lol. Five years ago where were pre-workouts. They were pretty much irrelevant in the fitness industry. However, popular athletes and health individuals have push this product with supplement companies and it is the new fad
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    There's an overwhelming amount of evidence in support of caffeine having ergogenic effects.

I DO think pre-workouts are over-used and many people think they need them. I just drink coffee.

But I think saying "chemical" without saying which specific ingredient you take issue with, is rather silly. If you're going to take issue with a specific ingredient, tell us why. Just saying chemical literally says nothing. Water is a chemical.

I think you know exactly what I was referring to when I meant chemicals. It is loaded with garbage. Including caffeine which is garbage! Please do not get into chemistry with me as I have a minor in chemistry. I am well aware of the chemical composition of water.

Why is caffeine garbage?

it's the reason I'm not in jail- pretty sure that automatically makes it not garbage.

caffeine is why the world works.

I also think coffee is a perfectly acceptable preworkout- and I'm a cheap f*kc soooooo I refuse to pay for pre-workout outside of my gallons of foldgers.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    IMO, if someone feels they need to ingest more than the 400 mg of caffeine daily considered safe for most adults by medical experts, I would think they need some thoughtful review of their dietary and sleeping habits.
  • figureitout87
    Options

I agree with you as you know lol. Five years ago where were pre-workouts. They were pretty much irrelevant in the fitness industry. However, popular athletes and health individuals have push this product with supplement companies and it is the new fad

Totally, and I'm 100% guilty of making the purchasing decision based off someone I follow on YouTube
  • BHFF
    Options

Totally, and I'm 100% guilty of making the purchasing decision based off someone I follow on YouTube

That's what supp companies hope for And because caffeine is addictive they have the perfect supp.
    If you live anywhere near where there is a Dunkin' Donuts you'll see what I'm talking about. Each day of the week especially on weekends there is a line of people waiting similar to that of a meth lab passing out drugs! We all know it's true, we've all seen the lines , waited in the drive-through for 15 minutes or stood inside Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts for 10, 15, 20 minutes in order to get our fix
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    But where do you draw the line? If someone gets an adrenalin rush from some activity, then becomes addicted to that rush, is that activity then dangerous?

"fixes" come in all shapes and sizes for different people.
  • figureitout87
    Options
    Very true! I've gone through major caffeine habits but I'm pretty decent now (maybe once or twice a week). I love coffee, but I rarely start my day with it anymore. If I'm low on energy I'd rather fix it with hydration or better sleep instead of supplementing caffeine throughout the day.

I have been using the Cellucor for my workouts, but I've noticed my sleep quality is taking a hit so I'm going to have to let that go because I hate waking up groggy.
  • BHFF
    Options
    Basically what I'm trying to tell me what is that real food is a much better alternative spending your money on supplements that aren't necessary. I am as busy as tired as anyone there with is, we are all busy, we are all tired. in my opinion just going to the gym, just being there, understanding my goals and my desires gets me ramped up enough
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    The FDA recommends 100 to 200mg a day. Most pre-workouts have between 135 235 mg per scope. Almost all of the food we eat has caffeine in it and a lot of the drinks we drink have caffeine in them. Which means we are well above are recommended dose from the FDA. Furthermore the FDA classifies caffeine as a drug.

Almost all the food we eat has caffeine in it?

I had roast broccoli for lunch. Everyone knows that broccoli grows only in soil that has previously grown coffee bushes, so the caffeine soaks into the soil and travels back up through the broccoli stems. That's why your broccoli turns brown if you don't eat it right away - it's the coffee coming back out. It's harder for the coffee to get all the way up into fruit trees, which is why the government has to caffeinate apples and citrus fruit using chemtrails.

All our food has caffeine in it, jfc. I need a tinfoil hat right now.

I dunno about caffeine, but I love me some Tomacco!

tumblr_lr7itddbtD1qe3q51o1_400.gif
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Basically what I'm trying to tell me what is that real food is a much better alternative spending your money on supplements that aren't necessary. I am as busy as tired as anyone there with is, we are all busy, we are all tired. in my opinion just going to the gym, just being there, understanding my goals and my desires gets me ramped up enough

I would agree. Up until I retired a couple months ago, I was up at 4:15 to get to the gym by 5:00. Worked out, cleaned up, 45 minute commute, work 9-10 hours, back to town, household chores, volunteer, hang out at bit, in bed by 10:00.

Haven't really be ingesting much caffeine for the last 20 years
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So this thread started out claiming "garbage", then "excess", and has now circled around to "preference". Too bad.

As someone with a pretty lousy diet and who spends a meaningful amount of money on supplements and stims, it would have been nice to see some actual arguments made regarding the pros and cons of getting "what you need" from food vs dietary supplements (using that term pretty loosely).

I'm not one of those "post a study or your claim is crap" people, but I would like to see a reasonable argument be made.