Home workout buddies to share ideas and help keep motivated

Options
Looking for other MFP regulars who are dedicated home workout peeps. Hoping we can build a community to share ideas, keep motivated, and give advice on workouts, modifications, diet and everything that goes into losing, maintaining, or building. I have an open diary, love friends, and will plan on posting my daily workouts here and on my news feed.

Here is a bit about me:
My real name is Barb and The Cupcake Counter is the name of my side business. I'm an accountant IRL so the name is kind of a play on that. I live in West Michigan and we have a summer cottage in north east Indiana we will spend nearly every weekend at this summer. I have lost about 25lbs since mid-January with another 15 to go. In addition to the summer bikini season we have a vacation to Mexico planned in November I want to look really good for.

I workout at home because in addition to my full time job I have an almost 8 yo boy and a husband who works too many hours in a day so almost all childcare is on me. I do have an awesome setup at home though...Treadmill, tv with lots of workout dvds, bosu ball, a large variety of free weights, an 18lb RX bar, weight bench, and kettle bells. My neighborhood butts up against a community park so I also have a track for running outside as well as nice safe sidewalks if I want to venture farther. I workout 6 days a week usually at 5:30am (on weekdays anyway).

From a diet standpoint I have MFP set to sedentary and lose 1 lb a week which gives me 1410/day before exercise and am really good at staying within my allowance. I do weigh my foods so even if you see a measurement vs a weight for a solid on my diary I used the scale to weight out what the label says is 1/4 cup or 1 tsp. I aim to get another 500 calories per day in exercise/activity "points" that I rarely eat back. I will occasionally eat back up to the 500 remaining mark if I've had a particularly good workout that day or feel hungry.

If you are in the same home workout boat for whatever reason I'd love you to introduce yourself and share your goals and any tips, trick, ideas, etc...you have.

Replies

• sark1971
    sark1971 Posts: 83 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I would like to workout at home,but I dont have any cardio equipment. The only thing I have are some dumbells.

I have started walking at lunch but thats about it at the moment

Open to suggestions...

Looks like you have a great set-up at home.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do a DVD workout at home every morning. You don't need any other equipment ☺. I do have some equipment though, a treadmill, dumbbells, exercise ball, yoga mat. I lift weights twice a week at the gym at work and try to do a quick run once or twice in between. Sundays are usually my long run, but it can vary.
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I workout from home too :smile: I'm a freelance developer, and I school 3 of my four children at home. I currently have a treadmill, a hybrid elliptical, a spin bike and a weight bench with a 30-lb bar and 80 lbs. worth of weights. We have some other smaller equipment, but it's not used as much as the others :D . I'm working on a dedicated system to display videos for aerobic workouts, since my kiddos like to exercise but hate the drudgery of the machines when the weather is bad out. Somehow I'm able to make all this work in a relatively small area of our home (we have to move stuff back and forth, but it works). I'd love to learn more about what everyone else is doing to keep things interesting and themselves motivated, so feel free to add me :)
  • Zuzurillo
    Zuzurillo Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have a HUGE library of fantastic DVD workouts that now have a 1/2" layer of dust on them. :( About 5 years ago I was doing DVD workouts at home every day. I felt great and was in fantastic shape. I totally fell off the wagon and am really back to square one. I would LOVE to join this group and have a little accountability to get my workouts started back up again. I'm a wealth of information on all types and levels of workout DVD's too. :)

Is May 1st ( tomorrow) the start date??
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Zuzurillo wrote: »
    Hello! I have a HUGE library of fantastic DVD workouts that now have a 1/2" layer of dust on them. :( About 5 years ago I was doing DVD workouts at home every day. I felt great and was in fantastic shape. I totally fell off the wagon and am really back to square one. I would LOVE to join this group and have a little accountability to get my workouts started back up again. I'm a wealth of information on all types and levels of workout DVD's too. :)

Is May 1st ( tomorrow) the start date??

Its not really a challenge or a start date thing...just looking to build up a group of people to share ideas and keep motivated to DO IT. I plan on posting my workout here each night for the next day as a way to keep myself accountable as well as give and hopefully get other ideas.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    Options
    Workout for Monday May 1, 2017

30 Day Shred DVD (Level 1)
    20 minutes treadmill - 5 minute warm up, 10 minute run, 5 minute cool down
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    Options
    sark1971 wrote: »
    I would like to workout at home,but I dont have any cardio equipment. The only thing I have are some dumbells.

Open to suggestions...

One of the cheapest and best cardio exercises is stairs!!! Fast walk or jog up and down for an incredible burn and tushy toning. I will try to post a few good equipment free workouts you can take a look at incorporating into your current program.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    There are tons of free workout videos on YouTube that require no equipment (besides your computer). I don't have unlimited data, so I use DVDs and borrow a lot from the library.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Today (April 30) I did 30 minutes yoga, then went for a 6.5 mile run, 1 mile walk. Tomorrow I will do a video, maybe kickboxing or rockin'body, and after work go for a short run.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Edit bc forgot to quote who I was responding to:

Circuits!
    Tons of cardio you can do with no equipment. Jumping jacks, burpees, running in place, high knees, etc.
    Plyo
    Supersets
    A simple pair of dumbbells and some ingenuity can get you pretty far. Once the weights get light, increase reps or switch it up. If weighted squats with dumbbells gets easy-go to 1-leg squats. Things like that. Their are tons of workouts available free online, that you can do easily with little to no equipment

Open to suggestions...

• TheCupcakeCounter
    Options
    Oh and check out Pinterest too! Tons of at home printable workouts!
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    Options
    Workout for Tuesday May 2, 2017

30 minute walk/run on treadmill
    1 round max reps:
    35lb Russian kettle bell swings
    Weighted squats
    12lb biceps curls
    25lb American kettle bell swings
    12lb medicine ball sit ups
  • DancingMoosie
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Today May 1st:
    Turbo Jam Cardio Party, 8 min. ab jam
    walk at lunch
    2.5 mile run/ .5 walk outside
    Tomorrow should be a shorter cardio dvd because I have an early meeting, then lifting after work.
  • demonica910
    demonica910 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Open to suggestions...

Have you thought about BBG? You don't need much equipment. Only some dumbbells and maybe a sturdy box to step on! I lost 37lbs doing that and jumping rope 15 minutes three nights a week!

• monkeygirl08
    monkeygirl08 Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I workout at home as well and occasionally walk at the Parks. Just stayed 30 day shred too.
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Home workout devotee here too. I have just finished an hour of body weight work with a few weights thrown in.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Please add me all you home workout people! I have a small home gym with treadmill, elliptical, some smallish weights, and other bits and bobs that don't get used, with tv/dvd and a few dvd's such as zumba, pilates (never used..yet!). I do use the treadmill a bit but not much else, and I could really do with some more motivation! :-)
  • 2Luverly
    2Luverly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym currently so have been completing mostly home based workouts. I was walking and sprinting at a track in my town but life got too busy to head there everyday. I love YouTube posted workouts: Taebo, Fitness Blender, HASfit etc. I use an aerobic step and last week purchased the simply fit board to use with dumbbells but my main love is kettlebells. I don't work out as much as I'd like to ... time tends to be at a premium but hope to jump on my Simply Fit Board with some dumbbells everyday even if just for 10 minutes. Yeah.. I'll let you know how that goes. Otherwise I do about 1 hour of workout activity 2-3 days a week (read: Friday-Sunday). If anyone would like me as an MFP buddy/friend request away. I will encourge and support where I can.