Birth Control Pills over the age of 40?

Options
Anyone here on bcp's over the age of 40? I'm just curious to see how many are as I didn't think they are healthy to take especially 40 years of age and older. I have been considering it, but the side effects and risks seem to worry me.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    TrinityR05 wrote: »
    I'm just curious to see how many are as I didn't think they are healthy to take especially 40 years of age and older. I have been considering it, but the side effects and risks seem to worry me.

I wouldn't take them if you feel it's risky, there are plenty of other contraceptive options out there if that's why you're on them.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    46 and I take bcp. No side effects. If you don't want to take them, then don't.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    49 and I take them. Feel great. I take them to control my periods, not to control birth. My doctor was all for me taking them when I suggested it. One of the best decisions I made.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    TrinityR05 wrote: »
    Thanks. I actually already did. She sort of pushes me to take them, but reading the label info is kind of scary. I used to take when I was younger with no issues. I wanted to see how many women 40 and over currently take them without any issues.

I am almost 40 but I am staying off them. When I was younger -- in my 20s, mind you -- I was getting leg cramps and elevated blood pressure from them (one of the low dose varieties). So if I was having those side effects then, no way am I going to take them now.

On the other hand, millions of women take them with no side effects.
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The symptoms of depression and lowered libido are just not worth it in my opinion.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and take them to regulate my periods. My gynecologist says it's perfectly safe as long as you don't have risk factors.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    I started to get side effects from birth control pills; that was back in my early 30s. Since my husband and I didn't want to have anymore children (specially me), I decided that tubal ligation was the best thing to do. Not more worries.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I was advised not to take them after age 35 but there were risk factors
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I got a tubal ligation done 16 yrs ago. Best decision I ever could've made!
  • angelawallace6
    angelawallace6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and have been on oral bc since age 20. I'm married and not ready to have a baby at my age. lol
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and I take continuous bc (3 periods a year). I'd say the only major risk (for healthy women) is if you smoke.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm 45 and took the pill from age 17 AND smoked the whole time up until 2 years ago, when my husband finaaaalllly had a vasectomy. I didn't experience any negative side effects, but like all things, it's the luck of the draw.

There are many other birth control methods other than the pill, do they all cause possible complications after the age of 40, or is it just the pill?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and took the pill from age 17 AND smoked the whole time up until 2 years ago, when my husband finaaaalllly had a vasectomy. I didn't experience any negative side effects, but like all things, it's the luck of the draw.

There are many other birth control methods other than the pill, do they all cause possible complications after the age of 40, or is it just the pill?

I believe every form of birth control has side effects. Some are lucky to not have any and some get pooped on.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm only 31 and nervous to take them again. I did throughout my 20s. I haven't had kids yet though.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

My doctor wanted me off the pill once I hit 40 because I get migraines. She suggested mirena because the hormones stay localized rather than circulating throughout the whole body so the risk is lessened. I decided to go without for the time being. I think I heard that progestin only methods are safer as well, but don't quote me on that! I guess it's the estrogen that increases the stroke risk, and that seems to be magnified for women who smoke, get migraines, and or are over a certain age.
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I wouldn't necessarily be taking them to prevent pregnancy. It would be mainly to ease my symptoms of monthly cramps as I cannot take any anti-inflammatory meds.

For those of you 40 years of age and older, what brand birth control pill are you on?

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and still on them Mostly for the cramps, moods and either heavy or non existent period and being unable to move for 1-2 days. Haven't had a period in over a decade (yes yes yes on doctors advice before anybody climbs in) I am on a very light combination pill
    I spoke to my GP and pharmacist and they both stated not to worry about stopping until 50-52. I am scheduled for an appointment to discuss in 18 months time. With these modern light pills the amount of hormones you actually get is much much lower than any of the older generation pills.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Im almost 43 and on them. have been off and on since I was 18 or 19. partly to control my periods(I am a really heavy bleeder without them) and also to prevent pregnancy. I dont want to use any IUDs,dont want the shot and dont want to get a tubal done. dr wants me though in the next few years or so to go off them and see where my hormone levels are without them. Im on a generic called nortrel 1/35.