Birth Control Pills over the age of 40?

Options
124»

Replies

• emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The older (I'll be 37 next month) I get, the more nervous I get about hormones because of blood clot risk. I have a copper IUD, which makes my period last longer, but with a Diva cup I barely notice it.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I haven't needed BC since I was 27. After we were done having kids, my husband got snipped. I did have bad reactions to the pill and really wanted to avoid anything hormonal. One BC pill caused mood swings. Another stopped my period altogether which isn't healthy in my view.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD and love it, on my third one now. Had first one between two kiddos, then had one put in post-partum and then replaced after 5 years. Will get another one when this one is done and will keep going until I hit menopause.

Only having 5 periods between age of 28 and menopause = winning :)
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My doc merely switched me from combo birth control to the mini pill (progestin only) once I turned 36 to mitigate the most immediate dangers.

But then I realized it was dumb to take a pill when I could have an IUD and control periods without hormones flooding my blood stream (the localized release from IUDs vastly reduces hormones getting into your bloodstream compared to BC pills, the shot, etc).

I've had the Mirena since January 2017 and it's absolutely glorious. No side effects (other than spotting), no pill worries, and no maintenance.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I took them until I got breast cancer and all my doctors for that told me to stop immediately! (I am 44)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    The best birth control over the age of 40 is: nudity
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    The best birth control over the age of 40 is: nudity

Troof.