100 days of yoga

Options
daneejela
daneejela Posts: 461 Member
I started a few short yoga challenges, and now I would like to raise it a bit.

When:
Starts Aug 1, 2017
(I am posting a week before in the case that you want to do any preps, research etc.)

How long:
100 days

Who:
Whoever wants to include yoga or any form of a yogish bodyweight exercises or stretches in everyday routine.
You can be a beginner or an advanced practitioner.

How:
Everyday for the next 100 days do some yoga and log it here. It can be a full class or just a mini morning sequence. Minimum is to do 3 poses every day. You can switch it, you can do different sequence according to a weekday, some days you can choose to do very challenging poses others just a relaxing ones, however you like.
The only important thing is to be consistent for a 100 days.

My advice is to choose a very simple and enjoyable mini sequence consisting of few favorite poses and gradually build from there.

Here are some shorter sequences for an inspiration:

Replies

• daneejela
    Options
    My goal for this challenge is to stay committed and to get into daily habit of doing something good for my body, to increase my fitness level, to build some strength, to gain flexibility, extend range of motion, improve posture.

Some measurable goals I hope to achieve through this challenge are:
    - build strength and balance to be able to do headstand (practicing dolphin - forearm plank, downward dog - plank, crow pose, side plank pose, wheel, one leg downward dog, one legged handstand)
    - build strength to be able to do chaturanga (downward dog, dolphin, plank, forearm plank, side plank, sphinx)

But I don't want to rush there, I want to take it step by step, one day at a time.

My basic routine:

1. plank - 2. downward dog - 3. tree legged downward dog - 4. low lunge - 5. high lunge - 6. warrior II - 7. reverse warrior - 8. side angle - 9. triangle - 10. half moon - 11. tree - 12. warrior III - 13. standing splits - 14. forward bend
  • EbJ88
    EbJ88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this challenge! I am knew to fitness, and started Monday of this week to truly give it my all. I have never done yoga so I am going to have to slowly incorporate it, and found a good 10 minute morning routine to do before I start my day. My goal is to just be consistent in incorporating yoga into my day every morning at minimum. I could definitely use some extra flexibility in my life!

The link I found for beginners that I liked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Ebi54JjUA
  • daneejela
    Options
    @EbJ88 Welcome! :)
    Looks like a great sequence!

I like your goal (consistency) and your attitude! I think great change comes from many small accumulated efforts done regularly.
  • daneejela
    Options
    I've created a group for this challenge
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/121972-100-days-of-yoga :)
    Everyone is welcome to join :)
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on three days a week of 90-minute yoga classes, but I usually do a few poses after lifting and/or upon waking up, so this is a totally doable challenge.
  • daneejela
    Options

@Mezzie1024 Awesome! Welcome :)
  • scottsamantha724
    scottsamantha724 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How exactly do you log on here
  • KyoJane
    KyoJane Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would love to do this challenge! I'm real new so I've never done a challenge before but I love yoga and just bought the wii fit plus to teach me so I plan on doing it everyday anyway :)
  • daneejela
    Options
    @KyoJane that is so cool and exciting! welcome! :)
    @scottsamantha724
    Here you can join our group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/121972-100-days-of-yoga :)
    There is a thread 100 days log where we will log our daily success :)
  • jackinorrie
    jackinorrie Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    This looks like the beginning of a workout path for me to begin! I am soooo hopeful that I can maintain for 100 days. It has been, in the past, a challenge for me to stick with anything. Anything. So I would really like the accountability this challenge offers each day. My hope is to make a friend or 2 on the page who can call me out by tagging me when I don't post, and who would want me to do the same :D

Anyway - I am heading to the group to Join!! Between this and The Biggest Loser Monthly Challenge I should be in a MUCH better place 3.5 months from now!! THANK YOU!!!
  • irianap2017
    irianap2017 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would like to join!
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan! Who wouldn't want to be stronger and more flexible? I'm in.
  • EbJ88
    EbJ88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Completed day 1 <3 I am following a 30 day yoga challenge on Youtube, link to day one for beginners. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzonBs06mX8

This is the playlist to all 30 videos
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am in! I really really need to make this a habit! I have bad knees/back/neck joints....I'm a mess actually LOL! I know that doing yoga really helps me and I'd like to do it in the beginning of my day, but my inner lazy fat-girl keeps winning out and I don't do it on a regular basis....and this really annoys me. They say it takes at least 66 days to make a habit, so if I can manage it for 100 I should be golden! And I need motivation to do that! So this should be perfect for me!
    I'm not doing the normal yoga, but I'm going to do DDPYoga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caydaItxbwY
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Hi @daneejela and everyone! I am on Day 2 with you all today. I am aiming for just a few poses in the morning, after a workout, or to end the day - plus a formal weekly class or DVD. I am looking forward to the support of the group to help stay on track. Because sometimes it's so easy to skip yoga. But being consistent with it is so powerful! Wishing you all a great day! Namaste.
  • daneejela
    Options
    @wellnesschaser

That's great! That is pretty much how I do it - few "base" poses in the morning, relatively easy to do, and when I feel like I have more time and energy put more effort that day, but my base is pretty simple flow.

You can log it in this thread in the group, there are some great people there, so it's easier to stay motivated and consistent:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10582647/100-days-log-plus-progress-struggles-and-reflections#latest