Stronglifts 5x5 - what if there's no squat cage?

Options
Hey all,

So I've just checked out the one and only gym I have access to near my new home. It's a nice enough place ; clean and the equipment looks new. They have free weights and dumbbells but they have no squat cages - just the squat and bench smith machines . I was hoping to start a beginner lifting program like Stronglifts but from what I read they essentially say to never never use the Smith machines - that they force you into unnatural forma and you don't build the same because you aren't stabilizing the weight yourself. I'm working out alone so I can't just have someone spot me. So I try to use dumbbells instead? Or do I just use the Smith machines? I don't have the option to get my own equipment and I really and stuck using this particular gym so I would welcome any advice!

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    They have barbells and no rack to put it on? Work out B is all rack for me... although it doesn't have to be... depending on how much you are lifting you can probably get away with Dumbbells for a time. And even using the smith for a few months, talk to the gym reps and ask them if a rack is in their future... you can also do all sorts of squat variations with Dumbbells to compensate for the muscle isolation that the smith forces you into. It will take a longer workout but what's wrong with that?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Can you ask a stranger to spot you? You could use dumbells but you are going to be stuck with lower weights that way... I'm a weakling older lady who has only been doing this a couple of months and I already squat 120 lbs, so a healthy younger person is rapidly going to need more weight!

I would definitely talk to the gym reps, they need to get a squat cage.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend using a Smith machine for squats, for things such as standing calf raises they are great. Use dumbbells while you can or ask for a spotter when using the barbell for squats. Also, as I did last year, sometimes you just out grow a gym and need a better one. If your gym is a chain, see if different ones in your town have different equipment.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't squat without safety. I joined a gym and stopped sl5x5 at home for this same reason.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone . Ya it's a bit of a weird situation - I'm living in Thailand in a small city and the fact that I've managed to find a half decent gym with air con is a small miracle in itself. This is also what makes asking for help difficult - huge language barrier - I doubt I could even really ask the staff about getting a squat cage (but I will give it a try). It's pretty big place and has a tonne of machinery so I was surprised they didn't have one either. Maybe I just missed it? I just went in in Street clothes to look around and scope out the place. I feel super out of place as it is because the place is packed out with guys, plus being a foreigner makes me a bit of a spectacle, so I didn't linger. I'm just wanting to get in, do my workout, and get out.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The only thing the smith machine is good for is hanging my coat on.

If they have a boxes and dip belt you can always throw some heavy weight on those and boom. https://youtu.be/KzKjTR8DKgY
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Thanks for the input everyone . Ya it's a bit of a weird situation - I'm living in Thailand in a small city and the fact that I've managed to find a half decent gym with air con is a small miracle in itself. This is also what makes asking for help difficult - huge language barrier - I doubt I could even really ask the staff about getting a squat cage (but I will give it a try). It's pretty big place and has a tonne of machinery so I was surprised they didn't have one either. Maybe I just missed it? I just went in in Street clothes to look around and scope out the place. I feel super out of place as it is because the place is packed out with guys, plus being a foreigner makes me a bit of a spectacle, so I didn't linger. I'm just wanting to get in, do my workout, and get out.

That does sound tricky. Could you find a video of a squat cage and point?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Find a real gym.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Find a real gym.

This

Or find a program that works with what you have. There are some decent dumb bell programs out there.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I don't have a squat rack in my home gym. Does it limit what I do? Ya sometimes. However, with my program I am able to make modifications. I do Zercher squats, dumbbell squats, goblet squats, landmine squats, hack squats, single-leg, Bulgarian, I even do squats with my cable machine. It is not the most ideal but I get the job done.

I just saw a video on Zercher squats the other day! I was thinking I would try them next time the squat rack was taken at the gym.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I don't have a squat rack in my home gym. Does it limit what I do? Ya sometimes. However, with my program I am able to make modifications. I do Zercher squats, dumbbell squats, goblet squats, landmine squats, hack squats, single-leg, Bulgarian, I even do squats with my cable machine. It is not the most ideal but I get the job done.

The program she is running is based with specific lifts for barbells to gain strength If OP isn't able to run program as designed, she would be better off with a program specifically for dumbells or whatever equipment she has access to.

A novice SL program will not last long with alternatives lifts and dumbells since the objective is strength not hypertrophy and the weight must go up everytime.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

The program she is running is based with specific lifts for barbells to gain strength If OP isn't able to run program as designed, she would be better off with a program specifically for dumbells or whatever equipment she has access to.

A novice SL program will not last long with alternatives lifts and dumbells since the objective is strength not hypertrophy and the weight must go up everytime.

Yea I wouldn't run SL without a barbell personally.. so either I would switch gyms or programs.
    I guess my point was you don't need a rack to lift (depending on goals and program).. but I think we have to ask what OPs goals are.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

If you want a straightforward dumbbell based lifting program, I really like the focus on the compound lifts/movements in "Aworkoutroutine" beginner dumbbell workout from above and I found it great when I was just starting out without a barbell.

Or switch gyms, that's an option too :smiley:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If you're stuck with that gym, I'd run a different program. SL isn't the be all and end all of programming...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're stuck with that gym, I'd run a different program. SL isn't the be all and end all of programming...

i would find another gym, but I like my barbells...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    TicoCortez wrote: »
    Jesus. The OP said they're stuck with their current gym. Change gyms? Find a "real" gym? What's the point of saying that? Ya feel super alpha now?

OP Are you training for competition? Is there a specific reason you need to hit the squat numbers as listed? If it's just general strength and muscle retention, the key is progressive strength building in small increments while paying attention to proper form. However, it's not a religion. You can modify if you need to. Definitely don't use the Smith for squats. If you have to use dumbbells, use dumbbells. If they have a leg press, swap the leg press for squats. You can still adjust the weight gradually and progressively and build strength and muscle. Squats primarily hit the quads, and secondarily glutes, adductors, hamstrings, etc. The leg press also primarily hits the quads, and to a degree, the glutes and adductors. I would do some accessory lifts that hit the hamstrings, glutes, and adductors, and call it a day.

Of course if you do have specific strength/bodybuilding goals that demand squats, the leg press isn't going to translate in anywhere near a linear manner, so you may need to consider looking for a new program.

ETA: I forgot the erectors. You might want to consider adding some good mornings or romainian deadlift accessory lifts for the lower back. The squats hit those as well.

she asked for advice and was given advice.

she can either try to find a gym that has as squat rack, or find a different program to run. It has nothing to do about being "alpha" it has to do with what her options are...
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    another idea is makeshift safety bars using 2 sturdy blocks of the same height (approx 2-3 feet high) and squatting between them. eta: doesnt solve the rack problem.
  • BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    TicoCortez wrote: »
    Jesus. The OP said they're stuck with their current gym. Change gyms? Find a "real" gym? What's the point of saying that? Ya feel super alpha now?

OP Are you training for competition? Is there a specific reason you need to hit the squat numbers as listed? If it's just general strength and muscle retention, the key is progressive strength building in small increments while paying attention to proper form. However, it's not a religion. You can modify if you need to. Definitely don't use the Smith for squats. If you have to use dumbbells, use dumbbells. If they have a leg press, swap the leg press for squats. You can still adjust the weight gradually and progressively and build strength and muscle. Squats primarily hit the quads, and secondarily glutes, adductors, hamstrings, etc. The leg press also primarily hits the quads, and to a degree, the glutes and adductors. I would do some accessory lifts that hit the hamstrings, glutes, and adductors, and call it a day.

Of course if you do have specific strength/bodybuilding goals that demand squats, the leg press isn't going to translate in anywhere near a linear manner, so you may need to consider looking for a new program.

ETA: I forgot the erectors. You might want to consider adding some good mornings or romainian deadlift accessory lifts for the lower back. The squats hit those as well.

she asked for advice and was given advice.

she can either try to find a gym that has as squat rack, or find a different program to run. It has nothing to do about being "alpha" it has to do with what her options are...
    jelleigh wrote: »
    I don't have the option to get my own equipment and I really and stuck using this particular gym

I agree that another program is good advice, but they can still do a modified SL. SL 5x5 isn't the Bible for 5x5 workouts.

And when someone says "I can't do a or b." Then telling them to do a or b is *kitten* advice.

ETA: It's *kitten* advice because depending on your goals you can build strength and muscle at damn near any gym. Squat racks are great, but they don't have to be the deal breaking altar of god that some people try to make them out to be.