Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

You dont need to calorie count

Options
Morgaen73
Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
I've heard this said in the forums a few times, along with "just eat intuitively" and "eat LCHF" When I asked how much I need to eat with LCHF I was tols "eat untill you are full. It's very calorie dense so you get full more quickly"

Here is the problem with eating intuitively ... for some people it is not intuitive.

I am never full. Yes, I'm constantly hungry. I am either hungry or I eat until I'm nauseous. If I had to eat a piece of cheese to full me up, I would eat the whole block.

I did an experiment this weekend. I didn't log. I decided that I've been on MFP for long enough to judge how much I should eat without measuring.

So, Friday (I measured until after lunch) ... eating little bits at a time and using the "am I still hungry test" I was still hungry after I ate my "modest" portions. Lunch was 1000 kcal btw and I was still hungry.

Saturday ... had a modest breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast after my workout. Small bites during the day and we went to a bbq the evening where I had 1 beer and also ate moderately.

Sunday, the same thing. Ate moderately (according to me). Keeping to the "am I still hungry" test.

So, very optimistically I climb on the scale this morning ... 3kg heavier than Friday morning.

Now I know the following contributed
1. I haven had a poop since Thursday
2. Water weight ... but I have had my full water requirement every day so there is no reason why my body would hold back water

So yeah ... clearly some people need to count calories for the rest of their lives.

Replies

• Morgaen73
    Options
    Thanks everyone that took the time to share.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I don't enjoy calorie counting but can't eat intuitively or to hunger signals - well I can but I would be enormous!

There's a third choice which is conscious/thoughtful eating. It's what I've done for the majority of my adult life.

I'm calorie aware and think about how much I actually need as opposed to how much I want to eat but don't log my food. Casual monitoring of my weight trend has an impact on my "how much I need" decisions. I've got a variety of tools to reduce calories to correct a persistent upward trend before it gets out of hand.

For me calorie counting was a temporary but useful interlude to get from the level where I maintained my weight but overweight for 20 years to maintaining weight in the right range.
    It's still there as a tool/skill if I want the precision to be a certain weight at a certain date and the educational benefits remain long after you stop logging.

But if I had to calorie count to maintain my weight it would be a small price to pay in terms of investment of time.

This is largely how I am too.

I sometimes enjoy calorie counting for the short term and sometimes use it to motivate myself if I am becoming less mindful, and I found it very educational, but I can maintain fine without counting. What I cannot do is eat to hunger (I'm not really hungry or not -- my desire to eat is mostly based on habit or mental things, like whether something looks tasty, period). I don't even think this is a flaw in my makeup or psychology, it would have worked fine in most eras and cultures when food was eaten according to custom and wasn't hugely available. During a service trip to Nicaragua, for example, I'd happily eat the breakfast provided, work til lunch, eat lunch, so on, and lost quite a bit of weight never feeling one bit hungry (on high carb macros, even) because for me if food is not around or expected I don't think about it.

But when food is on offer all the time and so easy and portions are easy to distort I have to add some thought, be mindful, and for me it's helpful to eat to a schedule and pay attention to the portions I've learned work for me.

That's not "inituitive eating" or "listening to my body" (my body lies), but also easier for me than always calorie counting. (But like you calorie counting wouldn't be that hard if it was the only option.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    The people I know of who eat intuitively, don't really eat that I've ever seen. I have a couple of acquaintances that do and they are both vegetarian, don't exercise and just eat so little. We went out one time and they both orders small salads for dinner and that was it. Maybe they ate before? Who knows, but every time I've seen them on get togethers, I've never seen them snack or eat even if there is decent food available.
    For me, I count because I like to be somewhat accurate. And also being able to teach it to my clients matter too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Morgaen73
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    I've heard this said in the forums a few times, along with "just eat intuitively" and "eat LCHF" When I asked how much I need to eat with LCHF I was tols "eat untill you are full. It's very calorie dense so you get full more quickly"

Here is the problem with eating intuitively ... for some people it is not intuitive.

I am never full. Yes, I'm constantly hungry. I am either hungry or I eat until I'm nauseous. If I had to eat a piece of cheese to full me up, I would eat the whole block.

I did an experiment this weekend. I didn't log. I decided that I've been on MFP for long enough to judge how much I should eat without measuring.

So, Friday (I measured until after lunch) ... eating little bits at a time and using the "am I still hungry test" I was still hungry after I ate my "modest" portions. Lunch was 1000 kcal btw and I was still hungry.

Saturday ... had a modest breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast after my workout. Small bites during the day and we went to a bbq the evening where I had 1 beer and also ate moderately.

Sunday, the same thing. Ate moderately (according to me). Keeping to the "am I still hungry" test.

So, very optimistically I climb on the scale this morning ... 3kg heavier than Friday morning.

Now I know the following contributed
    1. I haven had a poop since Thursday
    2. Water weight ... but I have had my full water requirement every day so there is no reason why my body would hold back water

So yeah ... clearly some people need to count calories for the rest of their lives.

Volume. Nothing fills me up more than volume. And because I LOVE green veggies, this is very easy for me. Its the only way I can stay full and not go looking for food after I have that protein bar which some people claim keeps them full for most of the day.

I dont like vegeterribles to begin with so after 4 years of having salad for lunch I said enough is enough lol Yeah those bars, bananas and pretty much anything else that should "keep me full for hours" really just doesn't.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I will count even if I learn - In the past I have been very capable to unlearn my portion sizes again. Not logging leads to weightgain for me

I unlearn this too. I also get really lazy.
  • missevil
    missevil Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm calorie counting now for roughly 5 months and restrict myself quite a lot. But the truth is, I never get used to the smaller portions. I've often heard "you get used to it" or "your stomach will shrink, so you don't need so much to feel full" That's unfortunately never happening for me.
    Every few weeks I go to a breakfast buffet with a friend and try to be good, but in the end, I eat until I reach a food coma. My stomach can still hold a lot of food and if I don't restrict myself via MFP, I'm fat again in no time.
    It's fine to skip a few days here and there and I absolutely enjoy those breakfast dates without a hint of guilt, but in general, I need to count every day and that will continue in my maintenance and forever. Probably a bit more loosely, but yeah, not counting will make me overeat all the time.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    My intuition is how the waist fits on my jeans. If it starts getting tight, it's time to eat less.