Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

You dont need to calorie count

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited September 2017
    I'm pretty sure I will. For the simple reason that I have some spatial perception issues. Like, you know in geometry when they show you an unfolded box and ask you to determine which shape represents what it would look like if folded? I can't do it. I also can't eyeball a scoop of rice and tell you if it's one cup or two.
    Me too! I've never encountered anyone who understood what I meant about that geometry thing! Lucky for me, I don't like rice Lol. I can however pretty accurately "feel" weight - so my guesses at how many grams are usually dead on.

As for OP- eating intuitively - I would manage for some foods ( I know what a serving of potatoes feels like for instance), but would fail utterly overall ( I would eat twice as much meat, many times too many nuts, and if I let a bag of potato chips open, I'd eat the whole family size bag and could have more) - if intuition were my only guide.

OP: we are all unique. Do what works for you, you are in the best position to know what works and doesn't for you. And that is just fine. Nothing wrong with you, you are just your own distinctive self.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I'm pretty sure I will. For the simple reason that I have some spatial perception issues. Like, you know in geometry when they show you an unfolded box and ask you to determine which shape represents what it would look like if folded? I can't do it. I also can't eyeball a scoop of rice and tell you if it's one cup or two.

Also, I have no doubt that when exposed to foods that I... moderate reluctantly (as in, yes, I can stop at 4 oz of potatoes, but oh if I had the calories, I'd love to have more), without the scale to keep me accountable, my modest portions are going to creep up.

OMG this is so me! Yes, I too will calorie count for the foreseeable future. I have no intuition when it comes to food, portion-wise or appetite-wise.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Don't we all know how to intuitively eat? It's just some of us (me included) choose to ignore that little voice in our heads and that overstuffed feeling in our guts. I intuitively know full well i don't need that whole bag of chips, dessert after dinner every night or that extra scoop of pasta/rice/mashed potato, but i choose to ignore the sensible side of my brain and follow the "I need something tasty even though I'm not hungry" or the "That tastes so good, I'm not going to stop at a normal/sensible portion" side..

@Christine_72, I respect your opinion here, but I don't know if I agree with you. I know what portions I eat now, and I know what portions I ate back when I was "Fat Jruzer." Certainly I know I shouldn't have been eating the "road burgers" and heaping bowls of ice cream that I ate back then, but I'm not sure if I could pick out a sensible amount of food to get to steady state.

Maybe it's my personality, but I just don't trust myself here. I'm a very quantitative person - intuition doesn't really work that well for me. Plus, as Mrs Jruzer says, I'm an "eater". To my mind, calorie counting is liberating. I concede that for others it might feel like a burden, and if they can somehow make their intuition work, more power to them.

Oh don't get me wrong. I log/count and weigh everything, it keeps me honest. But i know the feeling of being full and eating for the sake of it, and a lot of the time i ignore that full signal in favour of eating more.

I'm full every night after dinner, but that doesn't stop me from having a stonking great bowl of dessert straight after. But because i prelog i don't have to stress that i don't have enough calories for it. If i listened to my stomach i would forgo the dessert, because i honestly do NOT need it, but again, i choose to ignore it and have it anyway!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I'm another for whom exercise -- or just being reasonably active in a day, which I think used to be normal just in living one's life and often can be for me too, since I rarely drive anywhere and walk more often than not -- is hugely important more for reasons beyond TDEE, like emotional issues, health.

I also find that I naturally tend to eat to calories (with some mindfulness, but less thought being necessary) when I am more active. Less because of TDEE, again, as because I find that when I'm fitness-focused I don't want to eat between meals, tend to crave more nutrient-dense, lower cal foods, things like that. Part of it is probably that I stop using food for emotional stuff, and part that I just naturally focus on what is healthful when I'm in that frame of mind.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    I don't count calories. I did for a little bit years ago and it was not for me. That doesn't mean I eat until I'm full. I pay attention to portion size and what I'm eating.

You do what works for you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Don't we all know how to intuitively eat? It's just some of us (me included) choose to ignore that little voice in our heads and that overstuffed feeling in our guts. I intuitively know full well i don't need that whole bag of chips, dessert after dinner every night or that extra scoop of pasta/rice/mashed potato, but i choose to ignore the sensible side of my brain and follow the "I need something tasty even though I'm not hungry" or the "That tastes so good, I'm not going to stop at a normal/sensible portion" side..

I don't.

Sensible side of the brain relates more to mindful eating (which does work for me), not intuitive.

Intuitive suggests that if you follow hunger and fullness cues and are sensitive to how your body feels, that you will naturally eat the right things for you (will desire them and not overeat) even without using the sensible side (i.e., thinking about how caloric something is or what a sensible portion would be).

I know for me I can EASILY go over a reasonable number of calories for the day, by a lot even, without ever feeling overstuffed. Feeling overstuffed is more about volume or how much I eat at a time, not how much I eat in the day.

Ahh ok, I think I'm mixing up mindful and intuitive eating.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Not sure if I agree with the rest of our lives we will have to count calories.
    Just like anything we have to learn what works for us and what does not.
    Counting calories works for me, that is why I do it. I never eat until I am full anymore, it makes me feel awful and uncomfortable.
    I don't think it is healthy, but before I start a new program I fast for 1 day. It puts the whole feeling hungry thing into perspective. And when I feel hungry after I have been eating all day, I think back to when I fasted and realize I am really not that hungry. (I usually start programs at the beginning of Lent, so it is not just fasting for weight loss reasons)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I found mfp after slowly gaining 15-20 lbs over the course of 10 years. During that time I ate until I was full most of the time, mixed with short periods of trying to eat "light" and rarely stuffing myself on special occasions. You don't have to overeat much to gain 2 lbs a yr! After several years of logging, I know that I could eat a little bit more now than I do and feel physically comfortable, and would most likely do so if I stopped logging, and would gain that 15 lbs back

I'm trying to increase my activity level so my tdee would get up to where I would naturally eat, but until/if that ever happens I will be logging.