Tried sardines.....

Options

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    WOW what is this nice crunchy salty stuff it tastes so good.

use that wasn't anchovies? they are terrific on pizza but sardines aren't usually salty. more just a rich, oily taste that puts some people off.

Whoops you're right! I got them mixed up. It was anchovies. Guess I never have tried sardines.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    King Oscar sardines are the best I can get at the grocery store. My favorite sardines are the jalapeño ones in oil. I'm trying to eat the ones in spring water but they really don't taste too good.

I agree love the King Oscar the best..I like the ones in olive oil mooshed on toast :p yummm

Don't know of King Oscar. Brunswick is my usual brand.

I find Brunswick bigger and more firm..I like the King Oscar because they squish nicely on my toast. I only ever eat sardines on toast with some cracked pepper ..yummmm
    Oh and I prefer the ones packed in olive oil, not spring water.. Damn now Im hungry
  • DYLPICKEL
    DYLPICKEL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I do like sardines. Havent had them in a long time but this is a nice reminder to add this to the grocery list. Thanks!
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Sardines are awesome fried up with some onions and peppers. I’ll put the mixture on top of rice and add a fried egg on top with sriratcha. So good and cheap.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options

use that wasn't anchovies? they are terrific on pizza but sardines aren't usually salty. more just a rich, oily taste that puts some people off.

Whoops you're right! I got them mixed up. It was anchovies. Guess I never have tried sardines.

Yes...I thought that was one 'weird' pizza with the sardines lol!
  • LisaBFit2day
    LisaBFit2day Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just had the King Oscar sardines in oil with jalapino. Had them on a piece of bread. They were OK - guess I just don't love em. But maybe if I had them with some rice and beans too...I'm determined to find a way to love them because they are so healthy and inexpensive to boot.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Anchovies are delicious and underrated.
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I prefer pickled herring. Best in cream sauce. Or Matjes herring- my favorite- which my store stopped carrying :(
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    dsboohead wrote: »
    .....and they weren't bad. Had a can of sardines sitting in hot sauce. Read the nutritional value and they were touted as being healthy as well as high calcium.
    Put them on toast for breakfast so to the store I go to get other flavors. Pleasantly surprised!

I love sardines. I buy them boneless in tomato sauce, spread them on toast and top them with pickled jalapeños. ..:)

Oh, I will have to look for this. I don't mind the taste of sardines but have texture issues with the bones. I didn't know they sold them boneless.

Look for these. Not much more than the "run of the mill type", but great quality.

UT82V2pXqNbXXcUQpbXb.png

I second that! <3 this brand:))

Where snd what store are these?
  • dsboohead
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    .....and they weren't bad. Had a can of sardines sitting in hot sauce. Read the nutritional value and they were touted as being healthy as well as high calcium.
    Put them on toast for breakfast so to the store I go to get other flavors. Pleasantly surprised!

I love sardines. I buy them boneless in tomato sauce, spread them on toast and top them with pickled jalapeños. ..:)

Oh, I will have to look for this. I don't mind the taste of sardines but have texture issues with the bones. I didn't know they sold them boneless.

Look for these. Not much more than the "run of the mill type", but great quality.

UT82V2pXqNbXXcUQpbXb.png

I second that! <3 this brand:))

This one....where?
  • dsboohead
    Options
    Sorry the raincoast image is not coming up.
  • CrazyCarbContessa
    CrazyCarbContessa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Beach Cliff sardines are so delicious. I get the sardines in soybean oil with green chilies. You can get them for about $1.00 at Walmart or order them on Amazon if you don't live near a Walmart. They are great on saltine crackers but since I am gluten intolerant now I just eat them straight out of the can. They have a great flavor without being spicy at all. A great source of protein and Omega 3's Baby!!
  • dsboohead
    Options
    This is one of many reasons I love the MFP community. I bypass the sardines every time I go to stock up on tuna pouches, but I never picked up a can until after reading this thread. Inspired, I ran to the nearest 24 hr Walmart after work last night, grabbed the cheapest ones they had (Bumble Bee) in hot sauce, got home and dove in. They tasted exactly like I already know canned fish tastes like. Not sure why I was always so afraid of them. My friends and family were repulsed when I posted about it on Facebook, so it's a win all around.

:):D:p
  • dsboohead
    Options
    This is one of many reasons I love the MFP community. I bypass the sardines every time I go to stock up on tuna pouches, but I never picked up a can until after reading this thread. Inspired, I ran to the nearest 24 hr Walmart after work last night, grabbed the cheapest ones they had (Bumble Bee) in hot sauce, got home and dove in. They tasted exactly like I already know canned fish tastes like. Not sure why I was always so afraid of them. My friends and family were repulsed when I posted about it on Facebook, so it's a win all around.

Try that exact one and add salt pepper and lemon juice mushed up on toasted rye bread.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Going to try to pan fry some canned sardines later today.

The ones I buy come in water in a large 7 oz (wet wt) can (over twice the size of normal sardine cans). There are usually two full sized 2 oz (dry wt) sardine bodies (gutted w/tails and heads cut off) in each can; not the tiny things than come in the smaller cans. As close to whole sardines as you can get w/o buying them fresh.

Just going to fry them in olive oil to warm then thru & crisp/brown the skin and then season w/salt, pepper & lemon juice to see how they taste.

May also add some nutmeg which is my favorite fish seasoning; works well w/an oily fish like salmon and should work w/sardines as well.
  • dsboohead
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

The ones I buy come in water in a large 7 oz (wet wt) can (over twice the size of normal sardine cans). There are usually two full sized 2 oz (dry wt) sardine bodies (gutted w/tails and heads cut off) in each can; not the tiny things than come in the smaller cans. As close to whole sardines as you can get w/o buying them fresh.

Just going to fry them in olive oil to warm then thru & crisp/brown the skin and then season w/salt, pepper & lemon juice to see how they taste.

May also add some nutmeg which is my favorite fish seasoning; works well w/an oily fish like salmon and should work w/sardines as well.

NUTMEG!? That sounds utterly scandalous!!!
  • sgt1372
    Options
    NUTMEG!? That sounds utterly scandalous!!!

Don't knock unless you've tried it. It helps reduce the "fishy" odor when I pan fry salmon. Going to see how it works on sardines next.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    My sister let me know that the kitchen smelled like a fish market this morning. :lol
  • sgt1372
    edited December 2017
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Just cooked and ate this. Added the nutmeg to the other seasonings and ate it w/sauerkraut that I also made previously. It tasted pretty good.

Got rid of almost all of the metallic fishy smell w/the EVOO, s&p, nutmeg and lemon juice. Still didn't have the texture of fresh fish, of course, but it was a heck of a lot better than eating it straight out of the can.

Can probably elevate it further w/some more thought. I'm thinking of perhaps some kind of sauce. We'll see . . .