Tried sardines.....

Options
123457»

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Goal179 wrote: »
    How the hell do you eat them? I can't imagine that you're supposed to just grab a fork and chomp on them. Do you have to eat them fried or with crackers or something? I need guidance. They are supposed to be LOADED with good vitamins, omega-3 and they are sustainable. Got my attention but somebody' s got to tell me how to consume the jokers.

Smoosh them into some buttered toast with a fork and you're good to go. Is smoosh even a word?

And if they're canned ones they don't need cooking :)

When it comes to food.....yes......smoosh is a word!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    plain sardines on peanut butter toast, or sardines in hot sauce or tomato sauce...

Peanut Butter!?!? :o

Yeah peanut butter and sardines...surely someone has made a law against that. Not even when I was pregnant would I have dreamed up that ill fated culinary union :D

I prefer hot sauce or tomato sauce...but my dad always made peanut butter toast and put sardines on them so I just pretty much grew up with that...it's pretty good.
  • dsboohead
    Options
    plain sardines on peanut butter toast, or sardines in hot sauce or tomato sauce...

Yeah peanut butter and sardines...surely someone has made a law against that. Not even when I was pregnant would I have dreamed up that ill fated culinary union :D

I prefer hot sauce or tomato sauce...but my dad always made peanut butter toast and put sardines on them so I just pretty much grew up with that...it's pretty good.

Yup....I am going to try this PB concoction!
  • dsboohead
    Options
    the last time I tried them I was drunk. they didn't settle in my stomach. by morning I woke up nude and embarrassed.. my dad use to eat them all the time. I just can't get past the smell

.......I just hope I don't end up nude in the morning!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I don't eat them that way very often...but my dad passed 4 years ago on December 11...so I always have that on his anniversary...takes me back to my childhood. Had some PB toast and sardines this past Monday in memory...

We were pretty much broke when I was a kid, so stuff like that thrown together was pretty common and my dad always found ways to get food into our little bellies.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

I don't eat them that way very often...but my dad passed 4 years ago on December 11...so I always have that on his anniversary...takes me back to my childhood. Had some PB toast and sardines this past Monday in memory...

We were pretty much broke when I was a kid, so stuff like that thrown together was pretty common and my dad always found ways to get food into our little bellies.

Ah now I feel bad for hating on your PB sardines. That's a nice story, I'm gonna have to try it now...just once lol :D
  • LearningToFly13
    Options
    the last time I tried them I was drunk. they didn't settle in my stomach. by morning I woke up nude and embarrassed.. my dad use to eat them all the time. I just can't get past the smell

.......I just hope I don't end up nude in the morning!

Apparently sardines can do that to you...be careful
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    PB is pretty much magic, anyway, so I can see pairing them with sardines as being pretty good.
  • dsboohead
    Options

Ohhhhhh.....what a memory.Now I will always think of you when I see my sardine cans :(
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    How the hell do you eat them? I can't imagine that you're supposed to just grab a fork and chomp on them. Do you have to eat them fried or with crackers or something? I need guidance. They are supposed to be LOADED with good vitamins, omega-3 and they are sustainable. Got my attention but somebody' s got to tell me how to consume the jokers.

I'm just snacking on them straight out of the can. No time for any of this fancy "crackers" or "peanut butter" businesses.
  • LearningToFly13
    Options

I'm just snacking on them straight out of the can. No time for any of this fancy "crackers" or "peanut butter" businesses.

Savage :D
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    There may be an added bonus! I have a dog with advance kidney failure. Many of the treatments that benefit dogs are rooted in human studies. Sardines are a food that I feed him...as part of his low phosphatase food plan.

Even in humans, phosphatase is a contributing factor to kidney issues (generally, white meats and fish are low in it, red meats are high with it...rabbit, lamb and goat as well as some animal organs (like cow brains) are also low).

They also have other nutritional benefits but have a sardine a day for kidney health!

My cats sneaked up on me and stole some sardine off my plate. I still got most of it though.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I think my sis is fed up with me disposing of the cans inside the apartment because she left this on my Facebook timeline.

giphy.gif
  • LearningToFly13
    Options
    I think my sis is fed up with me disposing of the cans inside the apartment because she left this on my Facebook timeline.

giphy.gif

:D:D:D:D
  • LearningToFly13
    Options

giphy.gif

Also...every time I see your profile pic, it reminds me I still haven't watched Hannibal season 3... :(