Please help me make my coffee tasty again!

Options

Replies

• mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Aeropress or Chemex, recently roasted beans (within the last week, if you can get them), medium or light roast. Or cafetiere. Or espresso, if you have a decent machine...sadly, I do not.

ETA: I agree with all the people here saying to grind before each brew! It makes a lot of difference. My 'starter grinder' was a Hario Skerton, which is relatively inexpensive and quite consistent. You probably want to look for something with ceramic burrs.

More delicious than any Starbucks crap, comes in black at around 0 kcal.

If you go to a decent coffee shop with recently roasted beans (they'll usually carry beans from local roasteries), their cappucinos/lattes/macchiatos etc are usually very tasty, and they don't need any sugar or any other flavoured nonsense. I think a 250 ml cappucino comes in at somewhere around 100 kcal, and for me, that is worth it.

Or, I like to make black iced coffee concentrate with my Aeropress, then add maybe a teaspoon of sugar or even honey and top up with semi-skimmed milk. So tasty. Supposedly you can make cold brew which is naturally sweet, too...I haven't ever tried this, though, haven't had a good experience with cold brew in general. Japanese Flash Brew might be a great alternative, though!!

Imo, forget all the sweeteners and flavourings. Good coffee is all about the beans.
  • sheltondq
    sheltondq Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I’ve used vanilla protein powder in mine before. It made my coffee sweet, and gave me a protein boost.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Has anybody tried putting PB2 powder in coffee or tea? Just wondering how that would taste :)
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    Has anybody tried putting PB2 powder in coffee or tea? Just wondering how that would taste :)

Have done it with hot chocolate. It didn't stay suspended, so had to keep stirring. Also, it was pretty thick, but I didn't mind that. Ultimately, though, I prefer it in my yogurt. Would rather eat than drink it.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Silk dark chocolate almond milk. Less calories in 1/4 cup than a TB of Coffee Mate.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    What about the actual flavored coffees? I just had Vanilla Biscotti. It's quite good.
    I am not a fan of a lot of the other flavours but people seem to like those Keurig flavored pods.
  • DisneyVeganLove
    DisneyVeganLove Posts: 112 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    fd92qf0q124j.jpg
    Cinnamon is my go to. 15 calories per tablespoon for creamer
  • Krista00316
    Krista00316 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use the unflavored NutPods (on Amazon) and it is really close to half and half.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Unless it's been tricked out (camouflaged) with a bunch of chocolatey, creamy, sweet goodness, it just tastes like sad bitterness to me. I don't even drink coffee. :p

Good quality tea doesn't need any enhancement, IMO.
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Lots of good ideas. Mostly I just like a small - tablespoon's worth - amount of half and half. On the odd day I want it sweeter, I've been adding VitaFiber. It's an IMO sweetener that I bought to use making my own protein bars. 1 tsp has 10 cal. Carbs are 4 but fiber is 3 so that only counts as 1 net carb.
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    I put cinnamon and a little dark brown sugar in the brew basket. Not sure what you're cutting down on, but this makes my day!
  • thecountrydays
    thecountrydays Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I added caramel premier protein this morning!!!
  • anneberry13
    anneberry13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a small amount of the yummy flavored international delight creamer (usually french vanilla) and then add Unsweetened Almondmilk which is only 30 cal/C
  • AJ20011
    AJ20011 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Don't know where in the world you are but here in UK we have Wetherspoons, their coffees are first class.

You can make your own using the same bean as they do, they use Lavazza Beans (Rossa) can be found somewhere like Amazon, blitz the beans up fresh daily, and put in your coffee machine or cafetiere (the thing with the whizzy-woo bar that goes up and down),

Approx. 2 heaped 'ground coffee scoops' per mug if you like it strong, or in teaspoons thats about 5,

Try that it doesn't need anything else doing to it :smiley: imo one of the top coffee beans out there!
  • Willij2
    Willij2 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I blend pitted dates and unsweetened almond milk in a blender. The dates provide fiber, natural sugar, and the almond milk gives it a creamy whipped up consistency.
  • priv8pilot
    priv8pilot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    International Delight - Carmel Macchiato Sugar Free 20 Calories
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee iced now. I make it into a protein coffee, which sometimes I do drink hot on the weekends, for hot, I mix everything but the coffee first, pour some into mug and fill with coffee. It will make two large, or three decent sized mugs.

1 cup organic vanilla almond/cashew milk, or 1/2-1 cup low fat milk, (sometimes milk mixed with half and half)
    25 grams vanilla protein powder
    15 grams chocolate protein powder
    1T Splenda

I top this off with cold coffee in a 26 oz travel tumbler. With the almond/cashew milk it is 195 calories, 10 carb, 5 fat, 32 protein, 8 sugar. I use optimum nutrition protein powders so that is the info with those. I basically drink this all morning as breakfast.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    fd92qf0q124j.jpg
    Cinnamon is my go to. 15 calories per tablespoon for creamer

I was looking at these creamers yesterday. Are they good? As creamy as half and half?