Please help me make my coffee tasty again!

Options

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    wazette2 wrote: »
    Hi there! Looking for ways to make my coffee tasty again!! I am pretty frugal with my calories but I am tired of my coffee not tasting like the tasty treat it once was. Please help this coffee lovin momma out!!

What exactly did you change, and why??

I just add a bit of flavoured creamer to my coffee and that's it.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have 16 ounce glass in the morning made with 2 cups of low fat or skim milk and 3 tablespoons of creamer. It is worth it to me. Plus I get protein from the milk I use.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options
    lois1231 wrote: »
    I have 16 ounce glass in the morning made with 2 cups of low fat or skim milk and 3 tablespoons of creamer. It is worth it to me. Plus I get protein from the milk I use.

16 oz. glass (that means it holds 16 fl. oz., right, not that the empty glass weighs 16 ounces?)
    2 cups of milk (2 cups = 16 fl. oz., so glass is now full)
    3 Tbsp. of creamer (seems a waste, as 3 Tbsp of creamer and/or milk are going to overflow and run down the sides)

And, personally, I prefer my coffee to actually have ... some coffee.
  • nataliemacrn
    nataliemacrn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I loved hazelnut creamer but when I started tracking, it was a lot of calories and sugar. Have slowly transitioned to using premier protein drink (vanilla) with a little bit of trivia in my coffee.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    Has anybody tried putting PB2 powder in coffee or tea? Just wondering how that would taste :)
    Yeah. I love peanut butter. I love coffee. But there's a reason peanut butter coffee flavoring never became a thing.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I just take it black. Like my soul.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I loved hazelnut creamer but when I started tracking, it was a lot of calories and sugar. Have slowly transitioned to using premier protein drink (vanilla) with a little bit of trivia in my coffee.

I hear that the caramel one is very good in coffee. Next time I buy some I'm going to get the caramel.
  • breezyb26
    breezyb26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Add a bit of ground cinnamon to the grounds before you brew...so yummy! I can drink my coffee black this way, or add a tiny bit of cream.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Sugar and cream, Folgers crystals. It's low calorie.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Bailey's Creamer.
    Worth the calories.
  • Jnhfrady
    Jnhfrady Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use 4 ounces of fat free milk and Torani sugar free coffee syrups. 44 calories if you count the brewed coffee.
  • Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I used to absolutely require a full tablespoonful of sugar and used half & half in my coffee. Then we got a real espresso machine: https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BES840XL-Infuser-Espresso-Machine/dp/B0089SSOR6/ref=sr_1_2 and I find that actually frothing/steaming whole milk correctly makes the milk itself sweet enough I actually enjoy coffee sugar-free now! So I eliminated the sugar completely, and reduced my fat from half & half to whole milk simply by making better coffee. It's really amazing how much having a good machine can do for making good coffee! We had been using a cheaper machine that supposedly made espresso, but it simply didn't do the job correctly. It made a pretty cup of coffee, but it does not compare to the coffees made in the new machine.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters that said good quality coffee beans and proper espresso extraction. I haven't read every post but if you have one of these machines and use it properly (not a pod machine, a real espresso machine) the coffee will be amazing even with skim milk. Look for one second hand if you can't/don't want a new one - they are very expensive new but 2nd had are a lot cheaper.
  • Stepping18
    Stepping18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Heavy cream is my go to as of late. I also use half/half. coffee is the start to my day so I Prefer to enjoy it!
    Sometimes I add 1/2 tsp of sugar but not always.
  • ashirley695
    ashirley695 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Same boat here Mama.
    I've recently been cutting out many, many foods in order to (lose weight) figure out cause of intense, disfiguring eczema and food allergy symptoms. Naturally, dairy was on chopping block, which eliminated my two choice creamers. I will not, can not, give up my morning coffee.
    I have tried a dozen brands or so of non cow dairy creamers, also trying to be conscious of things like sugar content, "naturalness" in the ingredients, etc.
    Hands down, Silk vanilla soy creamer has been the best in terms of flavor AND creamy consistency, and is widely available around here.
    I second the suggestion of Torani sauces. Of course, some caloric gain, so I use it when I'm craving a bit more sweetness (usually if I'm super tired like Sunday AM after overnight shift.) I DO add plain old sugar to my coffee too, shoot me ;)

Have you considered goat milk? Caloric load is similar to cow milk I presume, but in terms of my own digestion, goat is much favored over cow.

In the end, I just accept that my morning addiction to coffee cuts into my daily calorie limits. I have cut down on coffee. I have found if I need caffeine later in the day I go for a Coke Zero. Didn't care for Pepsi version, odd since I prefer Pepsi.
  • suubelle2000
    suubelle2000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use coldstone sweet cream creamer...2 tbsp. Just about every breakfast I log has the obligatory 1 cup of coffee, with 2 tbsp of the creamer. Sometimes I switch it up to the (overnight) cold brew pods (omg it's soooo good). That's 12 oz of water, with the pod, in the fridge overnight. Those get 3 tbsp of the creamer and it tastes heavenly. For me, this early morning treat is wonderful, and it works just fine within my daily limits.
  • tressahess17
    tressahess17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try sugar free coffee creamers, like french vanilla, hazelnut or Italitan cream.
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk, stevia, & a sprinkle of cinnamon
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you want to avoid the chemicals in creamer, this site has some good options, using condensed milk as a base.

http://www.mrshappyhomemaker.com/homemade-coffee-creamer-over-20-flavor-varieties/

I have learned to really enjoy my coffee black (with some stevia), because I realized how many of my calories could get sucked up with creamer. It's all about the quality of the coffee, for me. Really, really flavorful coffee, black, is now something I can truly savor.