Alcohol and weight gain

Options

Replies

• shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    So I gues the overwhelming concensus is that "yes, you can build muscle from vodka". Good to hear. I think it was assumed by most that I was referring to gaining muscle since I haven't met too many people whose goal is to gain fat unless they're recovering from an eating disorder. As far as the inhibiting of fat loss, if alcohol slows the metabolism and the burning of calories of food you have already ingested, would this not work towards gaing muscle as well? If your body focuses exclusively on metabolizing the alcolhol, I'm assuming this would help hypertrophy considering your body is slowed in utilizing protein for energy. I think I might be on to something. I believe that it is a myth that alcohol is converted to glucose for those of you who still believe that bit of broscience.
    So in conclusion, while I fully understand the two main reasons why alcohol is bad for weight loss, (slowed metabolism, and the increased chances of unconscious munching of late night calorically dense foods due to weakened inhibitions), I have yet to hear a good explanation of why it can't be part of an effective slow bulk. I am living proof of this by the way, having consumed 2-4 drinks a day (sometimes many more) for the last 2 years while decreasing my bodyfat to 6-7% and increasing my lean muscle mass considerably. I think I might start a new workout program called the 80 Proof and 80 Days to New You!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    The real question her is:

Has anyone ever bulked up on binge drinking alcohol and successfully built muscle and strength?
    Ask the strongmen and Highland games competitors, They drink beer like its water.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It's not the alcohol that's my problem... it's the boat load of junk food that is pulled into it's gravitational field and ends up in my belleh when I drink it

I'm with ya!
  • lisakay0x
    lisakay0x Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think about a glass of wine and gain 3 pounds. It's very sad. :sad:

LOL.

Truth.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Has anyone ever bulked up on binge drinking alcohol and successfully built muscle and strength?

In his prime, Arnold's post workout recovery of choice was an entire chicken and pitcher of beer.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I used to drink an excessive amount of red wine per day at the beginning of this journey and my stomach seem to be kind of bloated still. I quit drinking and now my stomach seem to be going down like I am used to when getting in shape in the past.

Didn't read all responses but I believe someone mentioned a "beer belly/gut." lol
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

In his prime, Arnold's post workout recovery of choice was an entire chicken and pitcher of beer.

Beer has lots of good things in it, including b vitamins and so on.

But yes, your body uses it in preference to other carbs because it is so easy to break down.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'll take the beer belly with my happy head.

Rugby players drink a lot and get all muscly.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    "All calories are the same" ummmm not even close dude...SMH
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    In response to the OP, first of all alcohol calories certainly do count. The alcohol itself doesn't get stored as fat (to any significant degree), however your body will make a priority out of using alcohol for energy if it is in your system. That means carbs and fat will be waiting in line to get used, while alcohol cuts in front, so to speak. It's the stuff you eat along with the alcohol (particularly fat) that will get stored, because its usage was spared by the energy the alcohol provided. Alcohol just offsets the use of other things, therefore on a practical level, you count those calories like you would anything else.

With that said, I see no reason why you could not use alcohol to help you achieve a calorie surplus.

But please realize that to say "calories are calories" does not mean fats are the same as protein is the same as carbs are the same as alcohol. Alcohol is nutritionally void. It only provides energy, while macros (protein, fat, and carbs) provide goodies for your body. Certainly the idea behind IIFYM is not to say that everything is the same. The idea is to not over-complicate matters so long as you're getting the bigger picture(s) right.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Copied from http://winefolly.com/tutorial/wine-nutrition-facts/

What other nutrients can be found in wine?

Flouride 40% –The benefit of flouride is from topical use and prevents tooth decay.
    Manganese 10% –Antioxidant beneficial to brain, liver and nervous system.
    Potassium 5% –Helps keep your heart beating.
    Iron 4% –Delivers oxygen to your body.
    Vitamin B6 4% –Helps access energy in your the body.
    Vitamin B2 3% –aka Riboflavin. Antioxidant that aids in oxygen delivery in the body.
    Phosphorus 3% –Bone strength, regulate hormones, aid in digestion.
    Choline 2% –Helps in memory and liver function.

Minimal but not void :drinker:
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Minimal but not void :drinker:

I'm sure there are some good things in beer and other drinks as well. Even some water :) It's just that the alcohol part of them has no nutritional value.
  • los1284
    los1284 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It goes way beyond macros, alcohol promotes the production of extra estrogen in men which will result in fat and fluid gain. A recent research has shown that if you have way too many on a friday for example your HPTA or natural testosterone production will not be restored to normal until wed, you will be at the mercy of stress hormones and estrogen for all that time.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    It's a proven fact that alcohol reduces both total & free test. It is reduced for a full 24 hours after and if abused can cause permanent reduction. This is a seperate issue from the fat gained due to excess empty calories, damage to the endocrine system and increased liver enzymes leading to a slower metabolism and possible fatty liver.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/215221-does-drinking-alcohol-affect-muscle-building/

Inhibit Muscle Protein Synthesis

"In research reported in the August 1999 issue of the "American Journal of Physiology, Endocrinology and Metabolism," researchers discovered that drinking alcohol can inhibit muscle protein synthesis, the muscle growth process within muscle cells. During a 14-week study, subjects on an alcohol containing diet had greater levels of myopathy, or muscle loss, than those taking a placebo. Scientists suggest that alcohol blocks the process of protein synthesis, which leads to a reduction in muscle mass."

This is just one of several studies depicting the effects of alcohol as it relates to test production, protein synthesis and release of growth hormone
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    What I have also noticed is that, although something like vodka has calories, it has 0 g fat, 0 g carbs, and 0 g protein. So, my question is, where do these calories go?!
    alcohol is its own food group! :) its whats for breakfast , alcohol burns faster than sugar but burns first , so any calories you eat while you have alcohol in your body go to stores (fat)
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    What I have also noticed is that, although something like vodka has calories, it has 0 g fat, 0 g carbs, and 0 g protein. So, my question is, where do these calories go?!
    alcohol is its own food group! :) its whats for breakfast , alcohol burns faster than sugar but burns first , so any calories you eat while you have alcohol in your body go to stores (fat)

Interesting. Do you have a scientific study showing these findings? I'm interested in learning more.
  • TheZaxian
    TheZaxian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    While I agree 100% with calories in vs. calories out philosophy, I can't ignore the the fact that most of you would probably agree that calories from alcohol do not count in this equation.
    Of course calories from alcohol count.
    I am on the fence and I would like some scientific evidence to support one opinion or the other. If "all calories are the same", then why would 400 calories from vodka be any different than 400 calories from twinkies. If all your macros are met by food, and you are lookng for a 300 calorie surplus for weight gain, can that surplus be attained by alcohol?
    Yes. Though I wouldn't advise it because of the other negative health effects of alcohol.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It's a proven fact that alcohol reduces both total & free test. It is reduced for a full 24 hours after and if abused can cause permanent reduction. This is a seperate issue from the fat gained due to excess empty calories, damage to the endocrine system and increased liver enzymes leading to a slower metabolism and possible fatty liver.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/215221-does-drinking-alcohol-affect-muscle-building/

Inhibit Muscle Protein Synthesis

"In research reported in the August 1999 issue of the "American Journal of Physiology, Endocrinology and Metabolism," researchers discovered that drinking alcohol can inhibit muscle protein synthesis, the muscle growth process within muscle cells. During a 14-week study, subjects on an alcohol containing diet had greater levels of myopathy, or muscle loss, than those taking a placebo. Scientists suggest that alcohol blocks the process of protein synthesis, which leads to a reduction in muscle mass."

This is just one of several studies depicting the effects of alcohol as it relates to test production, protein synthesis and release of growth hormone

I'd have to look the studies up, assuming they passed peer review and were published. But they neglect to mention HOW MUCH alcohol the test groups consumed in each instance. I highly doubt that moderate alcohol consumption does diddly squat to protein synthesis or testosterone levels.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    If you make your glass of booze large enough, you could count the drinking as a light weight lifting activity :wink: