Alcohol and weight gain

Options
12346»

Replies

• kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The only thing I know for a fact, is that since I quit drinking 8 mos. ago, I've dropped 25 lbs and my gym performance and strength has increased. I've not really changed my workout routine much. I am eating more food, and I'm replacing the alcohol calories with real food calories.

Now is that weight loss due and improved gym performance due to quitting alcohol? Could be other factors involved, but the circumstantial evidence is pretty compelling.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have a buddy IRl, last summer he dropped over 40lbs and I mean it showed. He isn't very tall about 5'8 . The only thing he gave up was beer. It happens...
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am the OP and I am surprised at how many replies have been made addressing how bad alcohol is for weight loss.....DUH. We all know that. This is the "Goal: Gaining Weight" forum isn't it? My question was simply if alcohol can be used as for muscle gain if macros are met and you are looking for a calorie surplus. Thank you all for telling me that alcohol is bad for you and it made you fat and how much weight you lost when you stopped drinking, but that's not really the point here.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds while still having beer, bourbon and wine - just count the calories. BTW - I lost it in 18 months. I still drink it too.

Simple math: Calories out greater than calories in = weight loss.
  • skinnygirly23
    skinnygirly23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Alcohol calories are not used to maintain your bodily functions. They will interfere with them.

Also, drinking tends to make bad food look really GOOD! Not to mention when I drink I get lazy, lose my energy and motivation. By no means will your body respond well to replacing a meal with shots of vodka.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Also, drinking tends to make bad food look really GOOD! Not to mention when I drink I get lazy, lose my energy and motivation. By no means will your body respond well to replacing a meal with shots of vodka.

All well and good, except the OP wants to gain weight.......
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    That is why I am here now. Several months of drinking excessively put on ALOT of my weight on now.

Oppsss, just seen that my comment isn't relevant to what the person is asking. Sorrrryyyy....:smile:
  • skinnygirly23
    skinnygirly23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I see. Alcohol is still hard on the body. Sure there are better alternatives.
  • shaneamckinney
    shaneamckinney Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Alcohol can be used post work out for an insulin spike, this is generally reserved for established body builders. It's very much in moderation and calculated.
  • pat_asai
    pat_asai Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I count my alcohol calories just like anything else, afterall it is sugar...
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is good for gaining weight as it actually stops weight loss.

https://www.myfooddiary.com/blog/archive/2012/4/26/4-ways-alcohol-prevents-weight-loss
  • rmerrifi
    rmerrifi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes, However, you have to do a macro count of like 50% Protien 40% Carbs and 10% Fat and still keep your total calories in check (due to the insidious nature of alcohol: A) Inhibiting fat loss until its all burned and B) Whatever is left over turns to fat).

You'll also notice you're a little more sluggish in the gym due to hangovers; the lack of fat in your diet also leads to depression in some cases, but who cares?! It's fun while your'e drinking!

BROSCIENCE
  • rmerrifi
    rmerrifi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am the OP and I am surprised at how many replies have been made addressing how bad alcohol is for weight loss.....DUH. We all know that. This is the "Goal: Gaining Weight" forum isn't it? My question was simply if alcohol can be used as for muscle gain if macros are met and you are looking for a calorie surplus. Thank you all for telling me that alcohol is bad for you and it made you fat and how much weight you lost when you stopped drinking, but that's not really the point here.

Yes, However, you have to do a macro count of like 50% Protien 40% Carbs and 10% Fat and still keep your total calories in check (due to the insidious nature of alcohol: A) Inhibiting fat loss until its all burned and B) Whatever is left over turns to fat).

You'll also notice you're a little more sluggish in the gym due to hangovers; the lack of fat in your diet also leads to depression in some cases, but who cares?! It's fun while your'e drinking!

BROSCIENCE
  • cmira5ol
    cmira5ol Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Cheers!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong here, but I do believe that if you have alcohol involved in your caloric surplus, then weight added will go to fat preferentially. I'll need to research that, though.