I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• bronkeekong
    bronkeekong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Did you, or do you still have overweight people in your life telling you that you are doing it wrong?

I can lose 20 lbs and someone will say, oh that's not healthy, you need to monitor your sodium more or fat ratio, etc. Meanwhile they are not losing weight.

BTW, good job.You obviously know what you're doing. You lost it all.

Omgosh, you are so right! I've just recently started reading and responding on MFP, and instead of educating eachother, learning, cheering eachother on, I have come across so much criticism from people who have yet to reach their goal and are in denial. I was really fat (gained over 50 lbs after each pregnancy. I was miserable mostly because I was always athletic when I was younger and I couldn't even play with my own young children. I woke up in pain in my joints each morning and I kept thinking (blaming) it was just age. I finally stopped feeling sorry for myself and made lots of changes in my lifestyle choices. I read and read on other women with my weight struggles who succeeded so that I could be successful too. I had to take responsibility for my own choices. No one held a gun to my head to force me to eat bowls of cereal while watching late night TV or guzzling down Frappuccino because I felt tired after a stressful day at work. Now, when I hear that voice in my head that whines because I didn't binge on ice cream with my kids (lI chose a fruit protein shake instead) I tell that voice to shut up and enjoy the company of my children. It's not always easy but it's soo worth it to feel alive again. I'm a better mother, wife and friend now. I know it's cliché but it's the truth.

Very inspirational, thank you for sharing that. You go girl! (Ok, that was my cliché) lol.
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Omgosh, you are so right! I've just recently started reading and responding on MFP, and instead of educating eachother, learning, cheering eachother on, I have come across so much criticism from people who have yet to reach their goal and are in denial. I was really fat (gained over 50 lbs after each pregnancy. I was miserable mostly because I was always athletic when I was younger and I couldn't even play with my own young children. I woke up in pain in my joints each morning and I kept thinking (blaming) it was just age. I finally stopped feeling sorry for myself and made lots of changes in my lifestyle choices. I read and read on other women with my weight struggles who succeeded so that I could be successful too. I had to take responsibility for my own choices. No one held a gun to my head to force me to eat bowls of cereal while watching late night TV or guzzling down Frappuccino because I felt tired after a stressful day at work. Now, when I hear that voice in my head that whines because I didn't binge on ice cream with my kids (lI chose a fruit protein shake instead) I tell that voice to shut up and enjoy the company of my children. It's not always easy but it's soo worth it to feel alive again. I'm a better mother, wife and friend now. I know it's cliché but it's the truth.

Boom! It's so simple! Take responsibility for your choices and change happens!

At some point does the whining binge voice in your head disappear with the fat? :)
    I'm 37lbs down and it's still a fight.

• Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options

At some point does the whining binge voice in your head disappear with the fat? :)

• ShapingTheLaw
    ShapingTheLaw Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Nope!! I still hear the witch, but I don't give in as often. It's a fight EVERY DAY for me but knowing that it is helps me plan ahead for it. I'm not fanatic nor have the time to plan my meals days in advance but on a daily basis, I do plan. When eating out, I also look at the menus on my phone before I even step into a restaurant so I won't be tempted. This past weekend is a good example of this. I took my kids to the movies. Now, I absolutely love nachos. I knew that it would be hard to resist, so I planned for them by working out in that morning for an extra 20 minutes of cardio. But when I ordered the nachos, I saw on the nutrition label that the bag contained 3 servings! so I are a third of the nachos and then got up to throw the rest of it away. After awhile, it's like playing and winning a mental game with myself. Sometimes it gets exhausting but not as exhausting as carrying the extra weight. It comes with lots more benefits that do make it worth it. I also go on this forum and bodybuilding. Com to peruse the success photos as did learn more from women with my similar body build and struggle. It helps me feel "normal" to know that I'm not alone.

• ShapingTheLaw
    Options
    Forgot to mention that it does get easier. For example, I used to eat late at night while watching TV to de-stress from work. I no longer crave the late night binges. But it took about about month to get over that bad habit! That was a hard one for me.
  • XXXforeverXXXyoung
    XXXforeverXXXyoung Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!

• nowizthetime
    nowizthetime Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    orangbatak wrote: »
    For the first 3 months, how many calories were you consuming a day?

During the same time for fitness, did you focus more on cardio or resistance?

Any issue with loose skin? Did you get surgery done?
    steve2kay wrote: »
    Congratulations, that's an amazing transformation. What do you think are the top 5 things that led to your success?

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    What diet did you use?
    I didn't use a "diet". I ate foods, tracked them in MFP, and met the goals I set. A process I used is called flexible dieting, but it isn't really a "diet" in that it doesn't tell you what to eat. It actually lets you eat anything providing you meet your calorie and macronutrient goals.
    micmin2015 wrote: »
    Dude that's awesome. I was at an all time high of 287 lbs about a month ago. I currently weight about 266 lbs .I want to get down to about 200 lbs but supposedly I'm to be at 157 lbs to be at a healthy bmi but i have a very big framed body so when I hit 200 lbs I will go see my doctor to have a full check up. Your post gives me the extra motivation that I need.
    BMI isn't the most useful tool for individuals. It's meant to make inferences on populations. In my profile picture, I am "overweight" according to BMI. I actually lost a point towards my "healthy lifestyle" goal at work (gets cheaper insurance) for this. I was livid. I argued with the lady for quite a bit about how that was completely unfair. She agreed, but still docked me the point!
    frobbit85 wrote: »
    So I started my journey at 300 ponds and I was able to get down to 174. I have been stuck for a while and have been working on getting back in the gym I would like to lose about 30 to 40 more pounds.

My question for you is when working out do you increase your calories based on how much you worked out?
    I have read many things both encouraging and discouraging this.
    What worked for you?

I also read that you eat twice a day, approx how many calories for each meal do you consume and is it breakfast and dinner, or when do you usually eat? Do you eat after you work out?

Sorry for so many question :)
    I eat 2-3 times a day. It's usually around 3-4 pm then again around 8-midnight. I work nights so my schedule works well with eating later. The calories per meal vary depending on the day. As far as eating back exercise calories, I made a video on that question:
  • vismal
    Options
    Did you, or do you still have overweight people in your life telling you that you are doing it wrong?

I can lose 20 lbs and someone will say, oh that's not healthy, you need to monitor your sodium more or fat ratio, etc. Meanwhile they are not losing weight.

BTW, good job.You obviously know what you're doing. You lost it all.
    In the past people told me lots of things I was doing was wrong (eating only twice a day, eating after 8pm, the way I did my workouts, eating foods with white sugar/flour, losing to much, losing to fast, etc). At this point they no longer comment on what I do. It obviously has worked extremely well for me. It would be very hard for someone to tell me that I'm "wrong" at this point. If they did I wouldn't care anyways. I know that almost everything I do, I do because it's backed by science and research. If someone doesn't want to believe in science, fortunately for me, science doesn't care.
  • KatieKansan
    KatieKansan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    holy crap you look amazing!! Congrats to you!!
  • laurajune72
    laurajune72 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Amazing video!! Thanks!
  • Chayanag
    Chayanag Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great job.I have lost about 20 lbs so far and I need to lose another 20. Just seems like the scale isn't budging. I do Jillian Michael videos and I have toned up lost inches and all the great stuff But I just need the scale to budge. I have hit the plateau. Any tips? what should I do to move the scale. I eat 1200 cals or may be less. Do her videos for 6 days in a week, Go for 3 mile up hill walk 3 x a week.
  • ShapingTheLaw
    Options
    Chayanag wrote: »
    Great job.I have lost about 20 lbs so far and I need to lose another 20. Just seems like the scale isn't budging. I do Jillian Michael videos and I have toned up lost inches and all the great stuff But I just need the scale to budge. I have hit the plateau. Any tips? what should I do to move the scale. I eat 1200 cals or may be less. Do her videos for 6 days in a week, Go for 3 mile up hill walk 3 x a week.
    I think Vismal will probably tell you to make sure you weigh and measure and record everything you eat. And, after 2 weeks or so, if there is still no progress, create a larger caloric deficit. I had the same dilemma and that was his response along with, "do not eat back the calories you burn." I took his advice and FINALLY, the scale moved and I'm now averaging 1 lb less per werk. I'm 5 lbs away from my goal and I've lost over 25 lbs. In the last 8-9 months. Funny, it seems so simple to me now. Good luck :)

• deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    WHOA. That's so awesome! Congrats!!
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    WHOA. That's so awesome! Congrats!!
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I don't know how I never came across this post before, but this is amazing! It really motivates me to finally do actual weight lifting in the gym. Probably should just give it a go. I do strength now, but just with my body weight or my own 2kgs weights, lol. What exercises are best to start with?
  • quintinmasonjr24
    quintinmasonjr24 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Awesome success story, I think I will start to incorporate some weight training in the beginning. Not really 100% sure of how to approach it. I have access at this moment to dumbbells and some basic gym equipment in my apartment complex. I will definitely emphasis more on weight training and incorporate some sort of aerobic training two times a week. I know muscle burns more than fat so you are absolutely right. Good job and awesome results.
  • quintinmasonjr24
    quintinmasonjr24 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's a shame, these people flock to you because your positive results but I bet in the beginning they completely ignored your attempts. I admire your effort and the person in the beginning who fought hard to get where you are at now.
  • sweetcheeks20101959
    sweetcheeks20101959 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your looking amazing and have worked hard .Do u do the same routine all the time or do u change it up . I just started a couple months ago hoping to get fit and healthier with time
  • vismal
    Options
    Chayanag wrote: »
    More than likely you are eating much more than you think. With that level of activity, 1200 calories should be resulting in plenty of progress unless you are already very small/petite. Also how long have you stalled? It's not really a stall until 3-4 weeks of accurate, consistent, tracking have occurred. If you have been stalled for a while, turn towards questioning the accuracy of your calorie counting. Give this guide a read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101
    If you are tracking with extreme accuracy, then examine how complaint you are. How many cheat days? How many meals did you eat that you didn't prepare/weigh yourself (dining out or at friends/family). All of those things matter tremendously. Out of 100 people that say they aren't losing weight on 1200 calories and have been stalled for 4 weeks or more, I'd bet 95 of them are eating more then they think.
    I don't know how I never came across this post before, but this is amazing! It really motivates me to finally do actual weight lifting in the gym. Probably should just give it a go. I do strength now, but just with my body weight or my own 2kgs weights, lol. What exercises are best to start with?
    Any proven beginners routine that focuses on compound movements (squats, deadlift, bench press, rows) I prefer the ICF 5x5
    Your looking amazing and have worked hard .Do u do the same routine all the time or do u change it up . I just started a couple months ago hoping to get fit and healthier with time
    I do not alter the core of what I do (aggressive calorie counting and heavy barbell/dumbbell training). My exact exercises and rep scheme changes based on goals but the core remains the same.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!