What will make you fatter...?

Options
Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
Let's assume you are currently maintaining on 2,000 calories a day 50/30/20 C/F/P and you were to overeat consistently by 1,000 calories of either pure carbs or pure fat for a month, which would make you fatter, or would there be no difference and why?

Curious as to what people think. I've seen people state that anything over 15g of cho in a meal will be stored as fat or that fat makes you fat etc etc. So which is worse to overeat, carbs or fats or does it not matter?

Replies

• Goosiesnougs
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the HUGE fried clam plate I had for lunch in Plymouth will make me fatter! Good thing I ran and did my 30 Day shred this A.M.
    And I'll have salad for dinner!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    :huh: depends, but im going to go with the fat.....
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Surely the fat would make you fatter if you were still ingesting enough carbs to allow your body to do it's thang, carbs being the preferred fuel?

BUT ofc consistently overeating by 1000 calories either way of your maintainence kcal would surely put on the Ibs whatever format it comes in?

Imma go with fat! Going to follow this topic, hopefully I'll learn something!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no clue. Taking a wild guess from what I've learned here, I would say it makes no difference... unless you're talking about BF% vs. actual weight. Then I'd go with the excess in pure fat I suppose.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Surely the fat would make you fatter if you were still ingesting enough carbs to allow your body to do it's thang, carbs being the preferred fuel?

Wouldn't all the carbs you were overeating lead to crazy spiking of insulin, turning you into a fat storing monster? Thought I read somewhere that carbs ---->insulin spike---->fat gain
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    I really dont know but i would think it makes no difference....cals in cals out is what matters the most
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    That depends, on if the fat is eaten before 7pm and the cho is eaten after 7pm :-)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    oooooh, i dont know, i dont think it matters what you over eat with, surplus calories are surplus calories, even if its 1000 extra calories from carrots!

i want to know the answer now!!!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Aren't the excesses of both just stored in the liver? I don't remember enough from Biology class...
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    An additional 1000 calories is an additional 1000 calories, no matter in what form. Any kind of consistent overeating will make you fat. Period.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    All things considered, nominally, with all variables removed, it doesn't matter in terms of pounds of fat you accumulate.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    you can't gain fat on a calorie surplus if you're doing tae bo.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Wouldn't all the carbs you were overeating lead to crazy spiking of insulin, turning you into a fat storing monster? Thought I read somewhere that carbs ---->insulin spike---->fat gain

Insulin spike does not lead directly to fat gain. A sharp insulin spike leads to an insulin crash, also known as "increased appetite".
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    They'd be equal. 1000 cals is 1000 cals for most people.

For me, the carbs would be worse as they make me retain more water. But that wouldn't be weight in fat, that would be water weight. But it would add more weight over all.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

I've also been told insulin spike improves shuffling of nutrients into the muscle cells post workout. And I've also read that insulin spike reduces testosterone production so its a double edge sword lol!
  • secretlobster
    Options
    WILL INSULIN MAKE ME GROW BALLS
    Y [ ] N [ ]
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I usually wait for someone else to ask this question and you to answer them.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the HUGE fried clam plate I had for lunch in Plymouth will make me fatter! Good thing I ran and did my 30 Day shred this A.M.
    And I'll have salad for dinner!

The clam hut I frequent uses cholesterol free oil. Win!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Let's assume you are currently maintaining on 2,000 calories a day 50/30/20 C/F/P and you were to overeat consistently by 1,000 calories of either pure carbs or pure fat, which would make you fatter, or would there be no difference and why?

Curious as to what people think. I've seen people state that anything over 15g of cho in a meal will be stored as fat or that fat makes you fat etc etc. So which is worse to overeat, carbs or fats or does it not matter?

What an odd question. I have no idea what the answer for the general population would be, but I'm pretty sure the carbs would make me fatter because if I ate 1000 calories of pure fat I'd probably hurl it right back up. :sick:
  • Acg67
    Options
    Let's assume you are currently maintaining on 2,000 calories a day 50/30/20 C/F/P and you were to overeat consistently by 1,000 calories of either pure carbs or pure fat, which would make you fatter, or would there be no difference and why?

What an odd question. I have no idea what the answer for the general population would be, but I'm pretty sure the carbs would make me fatter because if I ate 1000 calories of pure fat I'd probably hurl it right back up. :sick:

A couple of olive oil shots or mixed into a shake and sure you would barely notice