Feeling angry when I exercise

Options
Has anyone ever experienced feelings of anger during exercise especially towards the end. I wonder if its the increasing heart rate or just feeling hot and tired, but lately when I exercise I get angry everything just sets me off. I don't even want to wave to my neighbors and I'll cuss at them under my breathe. It's not how I normally am. I even start to become inpatient with my dog. Of course maybe is years of pent of repression finally expressing it's self, and I'll turn into a raging obese hulk, LOL! Just curious if I'm alone or are there other exercise ragers out there.

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I used to, but as I got more fit and learned more about nutrition and hydration I began to feel good during exercise, then great.

If you aren't already doing this, try this as an experiment: Have a small snack before working out, and make sure you are drinking plenty of water. See if that changes things.

If it doesn't, channel the rage into more intense workouts!
  • cjay56
    cjay56 Posts: 1
    Options
    YES! I thought I was alone in this. I always read that exercising releases endorphines and puts you in a better mood, but the opposite always happens to me. I'm always in a terrible mood when I leave the gym!

I don't have any tips on how to make it stop but know that you're not alone!
  • boydsterk
    boydsterk Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Despite how tired or hot I get - I tend to get bored. I think I need to switch stuff up! ha
  • chantellenolan1
    Options
    I found that I have waves of anger during and then at the end I am sad? Idk, like I want to cry or punch a pillow.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Anger is good. Harness that energy and put it into the workout. It's especially helpful when lifting weights.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    No I sometimes feel a little down after exercise....
  • InezRny
    InezRny Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I usually don't feel angry after. Sometimes if I have had a bad day, or someone was completely out of line and I took the high road I notice the things I did not say or the feelings I held back come rushing to the surface during my work out. Also, it could be that you have actually repressed emotions that may be wanting to surface because you are making a change for yourself and it's new. I don't know.. but either way.. if you start feeling like that.. and even after.. maybe make sure you have eaten prior and definitely take some time to cool off before you leave so that you are not driving home or leaving the gym or whatever in that state of mind.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I don't get angry but I do get to feeling like I'd like to start breaking stuff. LOL
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm generally pissed off the whole time I'm working out because I hate every minute of it and its keeping me from doing things I NEED to do just as much as excersize. Always have no matter what kind of excersize I do. I'm pissed that I work all day and have a house that needs to be cleaned and kids that need help with their homework, dinner to prepare, sex to have with the husband etc... I ususally feel better once I'm done because it's done but while I'm doing it...PISSED.
    If I could do it in the morning I would but that would cut into the barely 6 hours of sleep that I get a night. I've tried to go to bed earlier but as hard as I try I can't.

Boy...don't I sound like a cry baby.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Not with cardio, but sometimes I feel that way when I'm weightlifting. I think it's because I get very centered and sort of meditate during my lifting workouts and sometimes I meditate on things that really tick me off...should probably work on that. lol
    Also, I can get very irritated if I'm interrupted during a workout.

Most of the time, though, I feel awesome after. Tired and sweaty, but awesome :glasses:
  • siriusalien
    Options
    Huge glycogen release, testosterone elevated: so yes being pissed off, angry and shakey all very common
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    nope but being highly adhd running outside is the closest thing to meditation ive ever been able to find
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I so sometimes get angry especially when doing moves that can be difficult to do.........like squats, pushups, lunges, or planks or when I get hot doing cardio, but I use the anger to push me through the workout and when I am done I generally feel better, and proud, happy, relieved, that I am finished.

The negative feeling usually don't linger for me.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've ever felt that but I wonder if perhaps you really would rather be doing something else and the fact you feel obliged to exercise makes you mad. I know that's one of the reasons I use HIT (high intensity) short burst exercising. While it's awfully hard, even painful, I get it over quickly and don't have to repeat it often. Moreover, it's more effective.

Just a thought. You couldn't be happy feeling that way. I hope someone here can offer some real help.
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I used to, but as I got more fit and learned more about nutrition and hydration I began to feel good during exercise, then great.

If you aren't already doing this, try this as an experiment: Have a small snack before working out, and make sure you are drinking plenty of water. See if that changes things.

If it doesn't, channel the rage into more intense workouts!

Try this. Anger and/or depression can indicate low blood sugar. Exercise should be a positive thing for you!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The exact opposite, I may be tired after a long run but my mood is so good I'd be rich if could figure out a way to sell it as a drug.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    this sounds like low blood sugar to me, for sure
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    GOOD!!! USE IT!!!! LET IT FUEL YOU!!!!!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I read in fitness magazine this week that 23% of women have orgasms while exercising, Holy crap! I would totally be a size 0 right now if that were the case for me.

Anyhow, I don't feel angry when I work out, I feel strong.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I tend to get pretty pissed off at all the *kitten* at the gym. Maybe it has something to do with exercise, but it has more to do with them being *kitten*.