So how long do you give it before...

Options
2»

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    At this point, and based on your posts around the boards in the last couple of days, I would say you have two options: either start lowering your calories by 100 every week or so until you start losing again or go and see a doctor and get yourself checked out.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Some people say just weight lifting doesn't burn enough calories to count as exercise in those calculators. If you put sedentary instead your TDEE shrinks by a few hundred calories.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    minizebu wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I'm 6'4" 240 and I'm eating 1480 calories a day and getting a few runs in. If it's within your threshold, I say go for it.

You're a male, this is not a good idea. You're adding back exercise calories right?

TDEE method. I eat the same daily. I actually eat under what my supposed TDEE is.

What specifically are you calculating as your TDEE? How much are you exercising? Perhaps you are overestimating your burn rate and therefore are not achieving as much of a deficit as you thought?
    IIFYM.com

It just goes by days you work out. I use three. I usually lift 4-5 days, 30-40 minute sessions because of time constraints so I call it 3 days in the calculator. It worked fine last year up until the losses just stopped. I ate about 2300 steady May 30-mid November. With my current weight My TDEE-20% should be 2200ish (I'd have to go to the site to see for sure).

Well, I have to echo what the others have said. If you were truly achieving a deficit, you would lose weight, so there are several possibilities: 1) you are underestimating intake, 2) you are overestimating burn rate, 3) some combination of 1 & 2, or 4) your BMR is lower than standard calculations would predict because of a medical reason.

If you think that it could be the last scenario, then go see a doctor. You should ask them to do a thyroid panel. Perhaps you are hypothyroid. Or perhaps you have some other issue that is messing with your metabolism.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    At this point, and based on your posts around the boards in the last couple of days, I would say you have two options: either start lowering your calories by 100 every week or so until you start losing again or go and see a doctor and get yourself checked out.

Yup

Or do as I said on that other thread, lower to 1500 and start increasing

Same advice
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on TDEE -20%?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Yup

Same advice

I would say cut down to 1500 at this point. I feel like this is a repeating theme for your posts--I'm not losing weight, why do other people get to eat more, etc. Just cut your calories and be done with it. Or up your activity considerably. The worst that can happen is you stay the same.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Some people say just weight lifting doesn't burn enough calories to count as exercise in those calculators. If you put sedentary instead your TDEE shrinks by a few hundred calories.
    I guess, why do all the other guys lifting eat so much though? It seems like the IIFYM site is geared specifically toward lifting almost too. I'll run it through that way I guess.

They can eat more because 1) they have more lean mass than you and are thus burning more and 2) are most likely bulking so they're eating above their TDEE to gain weight (in muscles).
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Yup

Same advice

I would say cut down to 1500 at this point. I feel like this is a repeating theme for your posts--I'm not losing weight, why do other people get to eat more, etc. Just cut your calories and be done with it. Or up your activity considerably. The worst that can happen is you stay the same.

I was thinking the same thing. Just go ahead and cut them lower. Maybe try 1800? At this point, it might be worth it. Do it for 3-4 weeks and see what happens.
  • shellen007
    shellen007 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I'm 6'4" 240 and I'm eating 1480 calories a day and getting a few runs in. If it's within your threshold, I say go for it.

You're a male, this is not a good idea. You're adding back exercise calories right?

No, I'm not. I'm listening to my body. I don't find myself in any way diminished, tired or overly hungry. I recover from workouts just as fast as I did when I was overeating.

This times 100.

So many people here seem convinced that they are accurately logging their calorie intake/expenditures (even though evidence suggests this is not the case), and then they complain when they don't see the results they want. Listen to your body. If you're not losing weight--unless you have an underlying medical issue--then you are not in a calorie deficit. Learn to accept that your MFP numbers simply aren't as accurate a you would like them to be, and if you are unhappy with your results, decrease your calorie intake and/or exercise more.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Nobody can weigh 100% accurate. That is what most people forget in the first place.

Even when you weigh every thing. Like i do. You dont get an a 100% accurate diary.
    But at least when you weigh its brought back to a minimum.

The problem is for people who are planning towards a smaller deficit over estimate their burn and under estimate their calorie intake...and walla your eating at maintenance or even gaining weight.

Now that can happen nothing to cry about, you just have to adjust a bit. Go down a bit with your calorie intake and see if it helps ( and not for one week but for some weeks) When it helps it means you were eating more than you thought.

Everybody (with out a medical issue) is able to lose weight when they eat less calories than they burn.
    And even with a medical issue it is possible but slower loss etc.

For me it is only logical...when you dont lose weight you are not in a deficit.
    IMHO