Medical Conditions Which Affect Weight: Separating Fact From Fiction

Options

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Another type of fiction is that certain drugs cause weight gain. Well... yes and no. They don't directly just magically produce weight gain. They either lower metabolic rate or increase appetite, but that would only account for a certain margin of gain. Gains beyond that point come down to consumption.

Fiction is a loaded word, but it scans nicely with fact, so I went with it. I'd like this thread to explore the real causes of weight gain or loss with medical conditions as you did with explaining what happened to your friend there.

I find when we truly break these things down, it leads to understanding the component issues so that they can be addressed.

BOOM!

It's disturbing to so often see people say "blah blah" caused my weight gain. NO, eating too much causes weight gain. You may have different caloric needs now, for whatever reason, but it still comes down to CICO.

People attribute their weight gain to many things, don't they? I see threads here all the time where new jobs or break ups "caused" weight gain.
    I do wonder if we truly know the effect of some medicines, however. So I'll reserve comment on that.
    I do believe that with some conditions caloric needs may not remain constant, thus making it even harder to find the sweet spot for losing.

I am finding this true with my restrictions on sodium. I sometimes reach my upper limit of sodium before I reach my calorie goal. I have had to change many foods that I was eating before to get that sodium level down. Due to surgery on my right arm food prep has become hindered.

Due to the injury to my arm... the surgery...hypertension...the meds...I lost 10lbs in two weeks. Trying to balance all of that while at the same time becoming sedentary (because of the arm and a faulty EKG) it has been difficult. I am working on it but it has been havoc on my weight loss goals.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Cortisol can have an impact on weight for sure. One reason I think a lot of people don't gain as much weight as they might expect on a vacation is because they lowered their cortisol levels by being relaxed.

One of the reasons it's suggested to take breaks from eating at a deficit is that long term dieting is itself a stressor. I think I might be coming to this point myself.

I had never considered the cortisol/vacation/relaxation thing but it makes sense to me.

I think that describing medical conditions as indirectly leading to weight gain can be appropriate. The example that @EvgeniZyntx gave about his friend's paralysis and weight gain can be described that way. If his friend were to say "my paralysis made me gain weight" I wouldn't assume that she meant that she woke up paralyzed and *boom* gained 50 pounds. No, I would think that she was using shorthand to describe how one condition led to another.

While I do appreciate that people need to "face the music", so to speak, and understand how their eating and physical activity habits are the keys to weight gain/loss/maintenance, it seems that many people overlook colloquial conversation habits, which often include skipped words/phrases for the sake of expediency. That happens on MFP with regard to medical conditions, "toned", and "muscle weighs more than fat". I'm sure there are other examples that escape me right now too.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Perhaps what you are trying to do is reduce the short cuts people make?

I'll take an example - I have a friend that became wheelchair bound four years ago (lateral paralysis) - this had led to her being obese. Obviously the chair didn't CAUSE the obesity but the conditions of difficulty in limiting consumption, depression, reduced mobility and the associated difficulty of increasing energy expenditure for someone that has difficulty moving resulted in consuming more calories than those expended.

What 'fiction' do you think needs to be addressed?

I think the fiction is dependent on the condition, Ev. There was a recent thread where someone brought up his own DKA, and he grossly misstated the mechanism of it and implied a medically impossible outcome of it. That's one type of fiction.

As far as DKA that I brought up in a prior thread (2 prior threads, actually), you claim that my experience is impossible. That's not correct. Before I go any further, I'm going to stress that DKA should never be intentionally caused to occur. It is potentially fatal. Those who have diabulimia should consult appropriate professional help.

Here's how diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) works:

Insulin breaks down glucose in blod and delivers it as fuel to cells... usually. When someone has very little or no insulin (type 1 diabetics fit this criteria), blood glucose (BG) rises and cells starve.

When BG rises: When BG rises above 225 mg/dl (average based on current research, but can be more or less), osmotic diuresis ocurs to remove BG through urine.

When cells starve: Gluconeogenesis occurs. Cells are calling for energy, but getting none. So you start breaking down fat for energy. The fat gets broken down and deposited into the blood as glucose. Then the cells should be able to get to that BG, but without insulin, the process of breaking down fat continues. Some of the BG is removed (see explanation abov of osmotic diuresis), but not all of it and certainly not as quickly as one is creating more glucose from fat. A by-product of this process are ketones.

Some on these forums will understand ketones because they are experiencing gluconeogenesis in a non-diabetic context. In DKA, ketone levels are significantly higher than in ketosis. High levels of ketones are toxic.

In addition to extreme thirst and frequent urination (because of osmotic diuresis), DKA also causes vomiting and very strong "ketone breath." Because cells are starving (most pathways for cells to get energy require insulin, which isn't present in this scenario), they start weakening and eventually organs will stop functioning altogether. Often this leads to a coma before death.

Here's what happened in my situation:

I was a teenager, and pretty much just gave up and decided I didn't want to deal with diabetes any more. I figured if I didn't eat anything, I would just run a little bit high and not have any immediate issues.

I was on multiple daily injections (MDI) of insulin, and last took insulin on Friday. On a Sat., I ate nothing and took no insulin, except late morning, I was super thirsty and drank 3 cans of regular soda (which propelled my BG even higher). I was feeling lethargic by Sat. evening and was urinating frequently.

On Sun., I ate nothing. Early in the day, I started vomiting and continued to urinate frequently. I was also still extremely thirsty and was drinking lots of water. I remember a particular point where I drank a glass of water, and ran to the bathroom (in this house, the kitchen and bathroom were connected - an unusual design today, but this was an old rural house and these rooms were added together when plumbing was installed). So the bathroom was about 10-12 feet away from where I was standing as I drank water, and I vomited all of that water within seconds of drinking it (except it was yellow when it came back up - obviously because it included other substances). There was another point where I thought I had vomited everything in my stomach, but was still heaving. What came out was a thick dark red - black substance. I was very sick at this point with DKA.

On Monday, I skipped school and was still sick after spending all night drinking lots of water and then vomiting and urinating (I was urinating about every 7-10 minutes at this point). My parents called the endocrinologist, who said to take some insulin and wanted me to be taken by ambulance to the nearest hospital (around 15 miles away) and then by helicopter to the nearest major city, where her hospital was located (around 80 miles by car). At this point, I had lost 47 lbs. from the last time I weighed (a week prior). I couldn't see clearly and had so little energy I could barely walk.

My parents decided (my dad decided, as my mom wanted to go with the endo's suggestion), for whatever reason (probably cost), to drive me himself for the whole 90-100 mile trip to the hospital. I took an ice cream bucket, which I continued to vomit and urinate in throughout the trip... I'm sure I lost at least another 3 lbs. on the way, but I usually say "about 50 lbs." because that is a rounded number and the specific amount beyond 47 is unknown. On the way down, I started going in and out of consciousness.

When we arrived at the emergency room, I was unable to even stand on my own power. My dad held me up as we walked in. The first stop was a water fountain, as I was still extremely thirsty. After I sat down, I noticed the tips of my fingers were starting to turn an indigo color.

When they were starting to take vital signs, I vomited on the nurse. They didn't finish, as it became clear how serious of shape I was in. Right away, they started taking me to the ICU (I was in a wheelchair at this point). I remember being pushed into an elevator on the wheelchair, and then losing consciousness again. The next time I awoke, for a brief moment, was in a bed in the ICU with lots of medical personnel surrounding me working very quickly. My dad was standing behind them at the foot of the bed with a very worried look on his face. The next time I awoke, there were just a couple of medical personnel on the other side of the room (it was a large room with several beds and just curtains), but nobody around me. I had an IV in the major blood vessel that runs through my groin.

On Tues., they transferred me out of the ICU to an intermediate area, and on Wed., sent me to the general section of the hospital. The endocrinologist visited, as did the CDE (because they thought I didn't have enough training, when it was just that I didn't care enough). So they sent a psychologist to talk to me, and I was released from the hospital on Fri. When I got home, the scale said I had only lost 24 lbs. compared to 2 weeks prior. They had been pumping plenty of fluids in me, but I'm leaving open the chance that I was still slightly dehydrated. The 50 lbs. is approximate because of what I described earlier. I'm guessing around 60% of that was water weight because of how much was re-gained in the hospital.

You can tell me that what happened to me didn't really happen to me, but I assure you it did. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it isn't possible.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    kattis81 wrote: »
    Hmm this is a bit swings and roundabouts. Hypothyroidism may slow your metabolic rate and make you burn less calories. True but it also makes you cold and tired that ultimately has more impact as it's hard to get up from sofa and go running when you feel already tired and freezing and it's raining outside. Being cold also makes you want to eat warm things that are not made of salad. This is as real effect of hypothyroidism as metabolic slowdown so overlooking it is not helpful. Correct diagnosis and sufficient replacement therapy to treat the condition are the way forward not ignoring it or it's impact on health as whole.

Well, this post is a bit swings and roundabouts too.

Undiagnosed hypothyroidism is one thing. Once it's treated, a person has a normal life, though. I live with Hashimoto's, so I'm speaking from experience.

However, as a post-menopausal woman with psoriatic arthritis? I'm always cold (thanks to menopause) and fatigued (thanks to the PsA). Those are both excuses for weight gain, not causes. I've managed to lose 70 pounds and pursue an active life with both conditions. Neither of them make it hard unless I choose to allow them to make it hard. I used to allow them to do so, and I felt more fatigued for it. Exercise improves fatigue. In fact, it's one of the medically recommended remediations for it. When it's cold and rainy? I jog around inside the house or do one of the Leslie Sansone videos on youtube.

As far as soup vs. salad, you could have calorie for calorie a slight difference in thermic effect between the two, but the difference is negligible. This comes down to smart decision making. My soups aren't terribly caloric, and some of my salads can be.

No one is advocating ignoring hypothyroidism. It should always be diagnosed and properly treated. However, I will reiterate: once it's properly treated, your body operates as a healthy person's body operates.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid too due to requiring the removal of my cancer infested thyroid! Now I get to take meds for the rest of my life and my oncologist wants me forever hypothyroid in order to keep the chances of a cancer reoccurrence at its lowest percentage. One risk factor he told me about was possible weight gain due to my decreased metabolism.

I'm still losing weight. But others might not because we're all different!
  • mitzirussell
    mitzirussell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been tiny all of my life until the doctor changed my blood pressure medicine to coreg, it does not stimulate my appetite, but it does make me feel tire and no energy so I am sure that is part of the weight gain issue, I have been on this med for 2yrs and have gained a whopping 30 lbs, I have tried several times to loose but get discouraged because it takes so long to loose 1lb. I have been dieting now limiting to 1200 calories a day and exercising when I have the energy since Sep. 1 and have only lost 8lbs, it is so frustrating.My doctor won't change my medicine because we have tried a lot of others that don't keep my bp and heart rate under control but they didn't cause me feel like this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
  • sdcamp3020
    sdcamp3020 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and, YES, it does make it harder to lose weight. I am not sure about anyone else's journey; but I know that I have to approach things a little differently. I have hormonal spikes that make it nearly impossible for me to stop eating on certain days. Being insulin resistant makes converting carbs harder than the normal person. I am not blaming the PCOS for my weight; but it does mean I have to work harder and in a different way to achieve my goals. I try to limit my carbs to 30% and I supplement with GTF Chromium, Nettle Root Extract, Saw Palmetto, and Vitamin D3 to combat the PCOS and insulin issues. I had to have my gallbladder removed so I use a probiotic to help in digestion. No matter what anyone says, losing weight with PCOS is possible but incredibly hard. You have to reach that point where you are determined before it will happen.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hmm this is a bit swings and roundabouts. Hypothyroidism may slow your metabolic rate and make you burn less calories. True but it also makes you cold and tired that ultimately has more impact as it's hard to get up from sofa and go running when you feel already tired and freezing and it's raining outside. Being cold also makes you want to eat warm things that are not made of salad. This is as real effect of hypothyroidism as metabolic slowdown so overlooking it is not helpful. Correct diagnosis and sufficient replacement therapy to treat the condition are the way forward not ignoring it or it's impact on health as whole.

When the weather turns cold, the warm thing I want to eat instead of salad is broccoli :)

Regarding being tired - checkout http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10278538/do-you-workout-even-when-youre-tired

Many people said if they didn't workout when they were tired, they'd never workout.

I often have to force myself to start, but am fine once I get going.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

When the weather turns cold, the warm thing I want to eat instead of salad is broccoli :)

Regarding being tired - checkout http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10278538/do-you-workout-even-when-youre-tired

Many people said if they didn't workout when they were tired, they'd never workout.

I often have to force myself to start, but am fine once I get going.

Sadly, I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least a little bit tired.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    @midwesterner85 - This is now the 11th thread in which you're discussing DKA. Since it's so dangerous and has absolutely nothing to do with weight management, how about making this the last thread?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?adv=1&search=dka&title=&author=midwesterner85&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&group_group=1&within=1+day&date=
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Perhaps what you are trying to do is reduce the short cuts people make?

I'll take an example - I have a friend that became wheelchair bound four years ago (lateral paralysis) - this had led to her being obese. Obviously the chair didn't CAUSE the obesity but the conditions of difficulty in limiting consumption, depression, reduced mobility and the associated difficulty of increasing energy expenditure for someone that has difficulty moving resulted in consuming more calories than those expended.

What 'fiction' do you think needs to be addressed?

I think the fiction is dependent on the condition, Ev. There was a recent thread where someone brought up his own DKA, and he grossly misstated the mechanism of it and implied a medically impossible outcome of it. That's one type of fiction.

DKA story....

In all likelihood the amount of weight lost has grown over time. The brain has a tendency to exaggerate crisis situations. Or, both your parents and your doctor were criminally negligent - because the weight loss indicator for hospitalisation is 5%. A known diabetic losing that in a week should be immediately hospitalised, along with the other signs you showed. The expected loss due to dehydration is somewhere in the order of 7-14lbs. Not 50lbs.
    But it doesn't matter. Whether it was 10lbs or 30lbs or 50lbs, I don't see what this has to do with dieting?

Induced DKA is classified as an eating disorder.

Remember that as we look at our own medical stories - our mind does tricky things:
    tumblr_mn6356xCBX1rqqwv3o1_250.gif

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Another type of fiction is that certain drugs cause weight gain. Well... yes and no. They don't directly just magically produce weight gain. They either lower metabolic rate or increase appetite, but that would only account for a certain margin of gain. Gains beyond that point come down to consumption.

Fiction is a loaded word, but it scans nicely with fact, so I went with it. I'd like this thread to explore the real causes of weight gain or loss with medical conditions as you did with explaining what happened to your friend there.

I find when we truly break these things down, it leads to understanding the component issues so that they can be addressed.

BOOM!

It's disturbing to so often see people say "blah blah" caused my weight gain. NO, eating too much causes weight gain. You may have different caloric needs now, for whatever reason, but it still comes down to CICO.

People attribute their weight gain to many things, don't they? I see threads here all the time where new jobs or break ups "caused" weight gain.
    I don wonder if we truly know the effect of some medicines, however. So I'll reserve comment on those.
    I do believe that with some conditions caloric needs may not remain constant, thus making it even harder to find the sweet spot for losing.

Yes. People blame all sorts of things on weight gain. On the opposite side of the coin, (I'll use myself as an example), when going through my second divorce with my husband (two young kids), I had dropped 40 pounds in 3 months. I was to a very, unhealthy weight for my size and it was a very scary time, when I could actually see this. The point is that "divorce" didn't make me lose weight. NOT eating did. Again, it comes down to CICO.

Calorie needs are never constant, they are affected by such a variety of factors that CICO isn't as simple as many seem to present here.

It's like saying it is all due to breathing and oxidation reactions! (Which is true.) But it doesn't explain how that is regulated.

What part of the CICO equation describes HOW your divorce affected HOW MUCH you ate?

Imagine if we could reduce all autopsy to "well the heart stopped, and then the brain signal stopped too". How is important. Oh, but it all comes down to heart and brain function!!

CICO is only part of the process and a complex part at that.

PS - glad you recovered.

I think this is something I, and others, may neglect to factor in adequately whenever we address the latest repeat of derp in an effort to stop it in its tracks

Bears thinking on
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    @midwesterner85 - This is now the 11th thread in which you're discussing DKA. Since it's so dangerous and has absolutely nothing to do with weight management, how about making this the last thread?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?adv=1&search=dka&title=&author=midwesterner85&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&group_group=1&within=1+day&date=

Most of those other threads were either specifically about diabetes (where DKA is relevant), and I didn't really go into detail. In some of those threads, it was in response to others who had already mentioned DKA (as in this thread). DKA is related to weight loss, and is relevant to individual conditions experienced by users in the threads where I've either brought it up or responded to it.

This thread is specifically about medical conditions / anomalies that affect weight. It directly is linked to the topic of this thread. In addition, another user brought up the topic and provided bad information. What I'm providing is accurate information about the topic, and I'm not encouraging anyone to do it. In fact, I'm explicitly encouraging people NOT to inentionally go into DKA.

I'm not going to stop mentioning it any more than other users on this site will stop mentioning CICO (which is not as exact as most users purport).
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    When i first started losing weight i had about 30 pounds to lose. It took me over 8-9 months to lose 20 pounds and i was CONSISTENTLY eating 1,200 calories a day with numerous lifting sessions a week and walked about 10k steps a day and biked roughly 3-4k a day.

At that point i had made GREAT strides in my physique and was looking so good i didn't feel the need to lose the other 10 pounds.

Went into my doctor's office though because i kept having a feeling like something was stuck in my throat and my nails started to become brittle and my hair super dry. I started having bad patches of eczema on my arms. I went in to have a general blood test to see if i had any deficiencies and if i needed to take any supplements.

Turns out i was deficient in: Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Iron, Folate, Calcium, and have hypothyroidism. They believed that my thyroid levels being so low and unregulated may have caused issue with absorption of vitamins and minerals which i WAS getting in my diet.

Once i cut out soy and started on a low dose of tyrosint I dropped 15 pounds in like 3 weeks. =/ I got re-tested and i fixed all of my nutritional deficiencies and everything slowly started fixing itself.

In any case, my point is... I didn't have THAT much to lose and i lost my weight BEFORE i even found out i had a problem. I was still able to lose weight with a calorie deficit and exercise it just took longer and consistency. Had i been taking thyroid meds the entire time i may have lost faster, however, I STILL LOST WEIGHT!

When i see people saying things about how their thyroid condition caused them to gain 50, 100, 150+ pounds... i'm sorry. that's complete BS and an excuse.

Don't get me started on people like Whitney Thore who blame her 600 pound body weight and inability to lose on PCOS.

edit: in addition to low thyroid i also had elevated levels of prolactin. I was also taking birth control. My hormones were all kinds of effed up, so i don't make excuses.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Most of those other threads were either specifically about diabetes (where DKA is relevant), and I didn't really go into detail. In some of those threads, it was in response to others who had already mentioned DKA (as in this thread). DKA is related to weight loss, and is relevant to individual conditions experienced by users in the threads where I've either brought it up or responded to it.

This thread is specifically about medical conditions / anomalies that affect weight. It directly is linked to the topic of this thread. In addition, another user brought up the topic and provided bad information. What I'm providing is accurate information about the topic, and I'm not encouraging anyone to do it. In fact, I'm explicitly encouraging people NOT to inentionally go into DKA.

I'm not going to stop mentioning it any more than other users on this site will stop mentioning CICO (which is not as exact as most users purport).

CICO = useful to weight loss
    DKA = not so much

(I know a guy that lost his legs and lost 40lbs that way! Neato, relevant to weight loss? I don't think so.)
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

BOOM!

I don wonder if we truly know the effect of some medicines, however. So I'll reserve comment on those.

Yes. People blame all sorts of things on weight gain. On the opposite side of the coin, (I'll use myself as an example), when going through my second divorce with my husband (two young kids), I had dropped 40 pounds in 3 months. I was to a very, unhealthy weight for my size and it was a very scary time, when I could actually see this. The point is that "divorce" didn't make me lose weight. NOT eating did. Again, it comes down to CICO.

Calorie needs are never constant, they are affected by such a variety of factors that CICO isn't as simple as many seem to present here.

It's like saying it is all due to breathing and oxidation reactions! (Which is true.) But it doesn't explain how that is regulated.

What part of the CICO equation describes HOW your divorce affected HOW MUCH you ate?

Imagine if we could reduce all autopsy to "well the heart stopped, and then the brain signal stopped too". How is important. Oh, but it all comes down to heart and brain function!!

CICO is only part of the process and a complex part at that.

PS - glad you recovered.

I think this is something I, and others, may neglect to factor in adequately whenever we address the latest repeat of derp in an effort to stop it in its tracks

Bears thinking on

+1

When trying to simplify a message to someone who clearly doesn't have even a basic understanding of calorie management, we often don't convey the nuances behind the equation.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Carol, thank you! Excellent conversation starter!

As for me, I'm blessed in that I don't have any medical conditions (that I know of), so I would like to give a different perspective here.

I was overweight all of my life, and obese for a short while in my mid-twenties, and I was convinced that I could not lose weight. I have a long history of disordered eating. I figured I was just destined to be a big person. While I did maintain at as overweight for quite a few years, I was convinced that my body at a set point and I could never get below a certain weight. This "proved" to be true when I reached that certain weight in my early 40's after working with a trainer who taught me about portion control, logging food (writing it down), eating at a calorie deficit, and how to properly weight lift and work out. I had him for about six or seven sessions before I knew I had it all down.

I did well. I maintained that weight for about a year, then the weight started creeping back on because I wasn't using the tools I had learned. I quit paying attention to what I was doing. All this time, I was convinced that my body was playing tricks on me and started restricting food choices more and more until I had cut out all the "fattening" foods, but I still was not losing weight. On and off, I wrote down what I ate and how much (eyeballing wise), but that habit became more off than on.

Even though I was caught in this craziness, the lessons my trainer taught me were still in the back of my mind, and I figured I might as well start logging food again, but I dreaded writing it down. Well, of course, with the internet, there had to be some kind of a logging "template" or something that I could use to log food on my computer.

Bingo--I found MFP, and I started logging food and participating in the forums.

The first thing I discovered is that I was eating way too many calories to maintain my weight.

The second thing I learned is that the only sane idea in my mind regarding weight management was that I was eating too much to lose weight, therefore I had to start eating less. Everything else was woo based on the insanity of believing I was somehow a special snowflake.

The third thing I learned was that weighing food, logging everything I eat, wearing a heart rate monitor for exercise, eating back those exercise calories, were great tools for success for me. The reason is because most of my personal success is based on structure.

Finally, I learned that the woo is just another way for me to not take responsibility for my weight management, therefore I learned to reject it without a second thought. Many people here helped me to learn how to throw away the woo and to understand that anything outside of CICO for weight loss for me is preference (since I don't have a medical condition that affects my weight in any way).

So, I think the bottom line is that separating fact from fiction is very important to be successful in weight loss. I know if my life when I've taken certain medications, especially birth control, that the labels contained warnings of weight gain, but they never said increased appetite. Now, because I've separated fact (science) from fiction (woo), I know what those labels mean when weight gain is listed as a side effect. :)

• tincanonastring
    Options

DKA = not so much

My point entirely.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

But this is a forum for an app dedicated to using CICO to meet weight goals. This isn't a DKA site.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

DKA = not so much

A symptom of DKA is rapid weight loss, so I would hardly believe it isn't useful. A better way to say it is that it isn't safe.

Where I take issue is when users argue that it isn't possible to lose weight unless one is burning more calories with RMR + exercise than what they consume (often referred to as CICO). I've seen users argue that medical conditions don't change that, but can only affect RMR. My point is that there are, in fact, medical conditions that fall outside of the CICO equation. Is it a good idea to try DKA? No, absolutely not. Does it still provide an example of where CICO is wrong? Yes, definitely.