Gain 25 pounds muscle

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Tylerman35 wrote: »
    Yeah so I'm going to aim for 10-15 pounds of muscle then. And work from there. I've been logging everything I eat (today had 3 small slices of pizza, at my uncles so had to be polite) and ate all healthy yesterday. Breakfast and lunch today were healthy

Bulking and pizza go hand in hand
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yeah so I'm going to aim for 10-15 pounds of muscle then. And work from there. I've been logging everything I eat (today had 3 small slices of pizza, at my uncles so had to be polite) and ate all healthy yesterday. Breakfast and lunch today were healthy

Just remember calories are king. Doesn't particularly matter where they come from as long as the total # of calories is in check and your training is on point.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Xvapor wrote: »
    U can't pack on 25 lbs of muscle in a year without steroids,hgh etc.
    Well you could, but your calorie intake would be insanely high and progressive overload would pretty much have to happen every week and not just by a pound or so. To gain that 25lbs of muscle, one would have to probably put on at least 60lbs or more and try not getting too fat doing it. Pretty much would live in the gym too. It's not impossible, but likely improbable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

my money is on it not happening...
    Oh, I don't think it will happen either. I was a die hard weight gainer in my 20's and lived in the gym and in a year's time at my best maybe gained 18lbs of actual muscle.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    just saying you don't have to eat "healthy" to put on good mass. It's more about total calories and eating enough protein to support muscle gain. Half the reason why guys don't seem to put on mass is eating "healthy" requires A LOT of food to match the calories needed to gain weight. "Dirty" food is usually more calorie dense and you don't need as much. It sucks to always feel full, especially when you're training.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Tylerman35
    Tylerman35 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    just saying you don't have to eat "healthy" to put on good mass. It's more about total calories and eating enough protein to support muscle gain. Half the reason why guys don't seem to put on mass is eating "healthy" requires A LOT of food to match the calories needed to gain weight. "Dirty" food is usually more calorie dense and you don't need as much. It sucks to always feel full, especially when you're training.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks brother for the information on that! That makes me feel a bit better about today! Lol

Thank you so much everybody for the positive feedback! I am really enjoying this forum and please continue if you have anything else to add!!!
  • xorosco
    xorosco Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Take a hormone booster
  • LonsyBoy
    LonsyBoy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    everyone always throws the Steroid word around for gains haha not sure if people can name majority of gear and its purposes #Natty
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    LonsyBoy wrote: »
    everyone always throws the Steroid word around for gains haha not sure if people can name majority of gear and its purposes #Natty

That's because most of the guys contributing to this thread understand what it would take to put on 25 pounds of muscle in a year without gaining a ton of fat along with it.

It would be an impressive accomplishment for a natty even if he has optimal genetics, trains perfectly with his nutrition 100% on point and gets the full advantage of noob gains. Not saying it absolutely couldn't be done, but I'd go so far as to say it would be the longshot exception rather than the rule and ain't gonna happen for about 99% of the people.
  • Seant456
    Seant456 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    id shoot for a more realistic number like 8-10lbs in a year....Id say best your body can physically do is about 10-12lbs a year, with great nutrition and training.... your body can only physically repair and mend tissue at a rate that limits real muscle fiber growth above 12lbs a year... try to stay away from all the supplements they market to people stick to protein creatin, bcaa, basic aminos, avoid the hormont boosters and test crap its not worth the money you pay and most products increase your estragon productions.... and EAT EVER 2 HOURS if possible... its a process be patient....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Seant456 wrote: »
    id shoot for a more realistic number like 8-10lbs in a year....Id say best your body can physically do is about 10-12lbs a year, with great nutrition and training.... your body can only physically repair and mend tissue at a rate that limits real muscle fiber growth above 12lbs a year... try to stay away from all the supplements they market to people stick to protein creatin, bcaa, basic aminos, avoid the hormont boosters and test crap its not worth the money you pay and most products increase your estragon productions.... and EAT EVER 2 HOURS if possible... its a process be patient....

Out of curiosity, why do you suggest eating every two hours?
  • Seant456
    edited March 2017
    Options
    keep your body in constant state of growth, keeps your metabolism rolling, I eat anywhere from 6-10 small meals a day.... the every two hours is a suggestion from my personal experimentation, of my nutritional needs to grow and fuel my body for workouts daily, its not something i got off bb.com and follow. Everyone's body is different and may require you to try different things to grow.... id suggest playing around and see what works for you but key is you need to eat A LOT to grow....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Options
    keep your body in constant state of growth, keeps your metabolism rolling, I eat anywhere from 6-10 small meals a day.... the every two hours is a suggestion from my personal experimentation, of my nutritional needs to grow and fuel my body for workouts daily, its not something i got off bb.com and follow. Everyone's body is different and may require you to try different things to grow.... id suggest playing around and see what works for you but key is you need to eat A LOT to grow....

I see. I can't do that many meals.. it makes me ravenous all of the time. I tend to do 3 large meals and with a preworkout protein shake (since lunch is at 11am and I workout at 4 - mainly because I am hungry). I do try to spread out protein for the potential thoughts of maximizing MPS, especially driven to leucine, but I didn't know if you had another reason outside of person preference.
  • Tylerman35
    Options

I gotta say, your post was one of if not the most informational so far!!! I'll aim for 8-10 pounds. As long as I see progress, I'm happy. You know? I don't want to be that skinny kid I used to be. I'll add you as a friend if that's cool
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I gotta say, your post was one of if not the most informational so far!!! I'll aim for 8-10 pounds. As long as I see progress, I'm happy. You know? I don't want to be that skinny kid I used to be. I'll add you as a friend if that's cool

That's all you can do.

Who knows? You may end up being one of the ones with excellent genetic potential who can synthesize muscle tissue at a higher rate. If so, pleasant surprise. However, planning for it can just lead to a bunch of disappointment if/when it doesn't happen that way.
  • Tylerman35
    Options

That's all you can do.

Who knows? You may end up being one of the ones with excellent genetic potential who can synthesize muscle tissue at a higher rate. If so, pleasant surprise. However, planning for it can just lead to a bunch of disappointment if/when it doesn't happen that way.[/quote]

Thanks also!! Yeah, I am happy if I gain 5 pounds. It's an improvement. My uncles buddy I bowl with was like "Damn have you been hitting the gym" so I guess I'm improving. And I'm also trying to focus on calisthenics. Thanks again! !!
  • Seant456
    Options

yea man I started out at 135, so worked toward 145, when I hit that I worked toward 160, im 220 now and its taken years of hard work and trial and error... so keep at it man.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm currently running my first consistent and monitored bulk. Presently @ Week 5 Day 7 3k-4k calories

I've actually been having fun with it and admit 1/3 of my diet is the stuff they tell us is bad for you.

I'm 5'9" and started at 9% bodyfat and 168 lbs
    Now 10.5% bf and 180. Power is through the roof for my personal status and it's all good.

Just as those before me have said, Just set your self on a meal and snack schedule. I eat every 2.5 hrs with snacks included.

The first week is the worst. Constantly bloated, and nausea. The second week gets easier, And so forth.

Be progressive with your calorie surplus. Each additional week I added 250 additional calories. Reached 3800 and pulled back to 3600 than 3500.

I had to retreat and learn to control my macros a bit better although overall general calories works best for general weight gain.

• Tylerman35
    Options
    So I think I'm going to go to the gym maybe 2 days a week and at home workouts other 3-4 days. I'll keep you all updated on my progress in this thread maybe every two weeks if that's cool?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    So I think I'm going to go to the gym maybe 2 days a week and at home workouts other 3-4 days. I'll keep you all updated on my progress in this thread maybe every two weeks if that's cool?

Is this a structured lifting program??