Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Commiserating with those who are clearly overweight when you're not clearly overweight.

Options

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Since they started the discussion you were simply responding with your understanding. If they then felt offended, they have issues. I expect they just trust and relate with you.

I think your fear is more relevant when the skinny person is starting the whine session, though the problem of clothes not fitting affects people at every BMI level.
    Do y'all think this is acceptable? I'm at the high end of a healthy BMI and at the high end of a good body fat range for my height. I'm not lean, but - putting aside my own more critical eye - I'm not obviously overweight or overfat. Recently two different clearly overweight coworkers on two different occasions mentioned weight struggles and clothing-not-fitting struggles, and I legitimately and honestly related to their experiences. I expressed that and commiserated when we were talking. Then I wondered if it's somehow offensive to them, and I think this idea came to me because I always used to be very put off when people who obviously weighed less than me called themselves fat. I mean, what must they have thought of me if they thought they were fat. I've finally gotten to a place where I recognize that people's comments and feelings about themselves don't necessarily reflect how they feel about others, but I don't know if that's a common place to be. What do y'all think? Was I somehow being insensitive?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You have as much right to your feelings as anyone else.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Do y'all think this is acceptable? I'm at the high end of a healthy BMI and at the high end of a good body fat range for my height. I'm not lean, but - putting aside my own more critical eye - I'm not obviously overweight or overfat. Recently two different clearly overweight coworkers on two different occasions mentioned weight struggles and clothing-not-fitting struggles, and I legitimately and honestly related to their experiences. I expressed that and commiserated when we were talking. Then I wondered if it's somehow offensive to them, and I think this idea came to me because I always used to be very put off when people who obviously weighed less than me called themselves fat. I mean, what must they have thought of me if they thought they were fat. I've finally gotten to a place where I recognize that people's comments and feelings about themselves don't necessarily reflect how they feel about others, but I don't know if that's a common place to be. What do y'all think? Was I somehow being insensitive?

Were you a part of the conversation when they brought up their issues or were you just walking by, overheard the topic and jumped in? The first situation they are probably fine with you sharing. The second situation is not very cool.

I think you shouldn't talk about weight if you are very sensitive about the topic.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    My very obese neighbour always complains about her weight, and i never know how to react without giving her the sh!ts! I did tell her i lost 30lbs, and her reply was "jeez i wish i only had that much to lose". The whole damn conversation is flippan awkward!
    I know she goes out to lunch everyday, and dinner on weekend nights, her bin is overflowing with take away boxes and wrappers, but there's nothing i can say without coming across as rude/judgmental.

She has told me a hundred times over the years that she's going to come out on my walks with me, but she never has. I've let her know i'll be more than happy to walk together anytime, and that's where i leave it.

I had a couple neighbors offer to walk with me when i was quite heavy. I'm sure they meant well, but i couldn't commit to a schedule (full time caregiver) and i was dealing with uncontrolled autoimmune disease. Now the schedule problem still exists, so most of my walks are solo.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I think there is a big difference between commiserating with someone about clothing size frustration and the like, and sitting in front of someone much larger than you and saying how fat and disgusting you think you are. I'll admit frustration with the second, it's just a bit thoughtless in my book. Happy to take advice from smaller people though.
    I was going to say something like this, but Alatariel typed it better than i would have. So, yanno...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is a case where it is more important on how you say it as opposed to what you say. You are speaking from a place of empathy and wanting to help. Some people are going to take it the wrong way, but at least you tried. Hope it works.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    People who are very fit can struggle to stay that way..Nothing offensive if you are sincere. I am 100 pounds overweight, I don't presume to understand all the problems of someone weighing 600 pounds but I have empathy because I know how much of a struggle it is for me. We all have our struggles, yours are just as valid as mine.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! Both conversations were between only myself and the other person, and in both, they were the ones who brought up the subject. One conversation was much briefer than the other, so it was fully just relating to each other. The other conversation went a bit further, but because I prefer not to give unsolicited advice, I think the only thing I said at one point was to ask if she'd ever tried counting calories. I think I posed it in more of a curious way than a this-is-what-you-should-do way, and I didn't push it when her response was that she had tried other unnecessarily restrictive methods. I mean, she didn't ask for advice or feedback, so who am I to give it.

On the subject of talking about this stuff at work though, I do have a coworker who is similarly into fitness and nutrition and while she's clearly pretty well-informed, even some of the stuff she says is stuff I don't agree with or think is valid, but it's still kind of awesome to have someone around who really does get it and is working to be fit and healthy also.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    What do y'all think? Was I somehow being insensitive?

Not that I can see. You are being compassionate and I think that is a fine trait in a person.

It comes down to intention with statements or conversations like this in my view. If you intend to be caring then cool. If you intend to be a jerk then you get drop kicked. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt in such matters and believe them to be well intentioned (which in most cases people are) unless there is clear evidence to the contrary.

I guess there's an argument to be had about empathy however because that involves being able to place yourself in another person's shoes (metaphorically speaking of course as trying to nick their footwear wouldn't be cool) which in turn necessitates sharing a similar frame of reference to them. So, some people will argue that someone who has never been obese cannot truly empathise with an obese person as they have not shared the same issues, or a white person cannot empathise with someone of my skin colour as our life experiences would be different and so on.

I personally think that's a load of old cobblers myself and one can rationally and emotionally get a feel for what it must be like to be someone else and comment usefully upon their experience.

I'm amazed that people get to know one and other these days or crack jokes given the current fashionable paranoia about giving offence. What a joyless world that would be if it were widespread.