Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think obese/overweight people should pay more for health insurance?

Options

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    3. The ACA was great, but it didn't work in states where they have Republican governors where they don't want it to work... like Minnesota. It worked very well in states where governors wanted it to work, like California.

I've found it wise to check on facts before making assertations in public. It saves me a great deal of embarassment.

Mark Dayton has been our governor for several years now (since 2011). Last I checked, he was a Democrat, and pro-ACA. The ACA changes have been implemented under both Democrat and Republican majorities in the state legislature.

Mark Dayton very much wanted the ACA to work. The Democrat-headed Department of Health and Human Services is still touting it as a widespread success in this state, mostly on the Medicaid expansion. However, the 50%+ premium increase from 2016-2017, and the widespread abandonment of the individual market by insurers, led even Governor Dayton to say "the Affordable Care Act is no longer affordable" in October 2016.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    ... I'm so glad I live in Australia.

I know right, fascinating conversation to witness for an outsider, definitely a cautionary tale though as insurance industry, and private healthcare lobbyists do want this private profit making model everywhere and a population that will argue for it.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options

I know right, fascinating conversation to witness for an outsider, definitely a cautionary tale though as insurance industry, and private healthcare lobbyists do want this private profit making model everywhere and a population that will argue for it.

Everyone throws around profit like it's a dirty word. Yet many insurance companies in the USA (including the one that I'm getting my insurance from, and all , by law in my state for a VERY LONG TIME, are not-for-profit.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

Everyone throws around profit like it's a dirty word. Yet many insurance companies in the USA (including the one that I'm getting my insurance from, and all , by law in my state for a VERY LONG TIME, are not-for-profit.

I did have a quick look at none profits and it doesn't take into account salaries of the executives when considering if its a not for profit or not. Listen I don't consider profit a dirty word only what you profit from, a free market cannot exist where someone is forced by need to use a life and death service like any other emergency service. Also the ACA which was mentioned earlier isn't an example of single payer, not even close. Medicaid's the closest thing you have from what I can glean.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    1. Nobody should have to pay more for insurance than someone else. The whole concept of insurance is that those who are the least sick pay to help make up the difference for those who are the most sick. Nobody should ever be turned down or charged more for pre-existing conditions and nobody should ever have to choose between their life or the life of their loved ones and their home or business.

The concept of insurance is to pool the risks of those in similar risk categories and charge them appropriately based on that risk. I'm going to assume you are a good driver. Do you think you pay the same for your car insurance as someone with 2 DUIs and 7-8 speeding tickets in the last 5 years? Spoiler alert, you don't.

If you think the annual payment for medical care should be the same for everyone regardless of their situation, that's one thing, that involves subsidizing those that have issues. Not true insurance.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

Except not-for-profit doesn't mean that they can't take excess money (profit) and plow it back into salaries and bonuses for their principals. Which they do.

http://www.fiercehealthcare.com/payer/health-insurance-ceo-pay-at-big-five-tops-out-at-17-3m-2015
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    3. The ACA was great, but it didn't work in states where they have Republican governors where they don't want it to work... like Minnesota. It worked very well in states where governors wanted it to work, like California.

I've found it wise to check on facts before making assertations in public. It saves me a great deal of embarassment.

Mark Dayton has been our governor for several years now (since 2011). Last I checked, he was a Democrat, and pro-ACA. The ACA changes have been implemented under both Democrat and Republican majorities in the state legislature.

Mark Dayton very much wanted the ACA to work. The Democrat-headed Department of Health and Human Services is still touting it as a widespread success in this state, mostly on the Medicaid expansion. However, the 50%+ premium increase from 2016-2017, and the widespread abandonment of the individual market by insurers, led even Governor Dayton to say "the Affordable Care Act is no longer affordable" in October 2016.

PA's governor is also a Democrat who supports the ACA and expanded Medicaid in the commonwealth.

The ACA here? Giant failure. Insurance companies have pulled out of the exchanges because the people signing up aren't actually paying their premiums. Aetna was the latest to go, abandoning the PA marketplace at the end of 2016.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    On the idea where ACA fails in states with Republican governor's, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only aspect where state governments have any impact is Medicaid expansion and I assume state insurance boards still approve changes to rates in policies, but that existed pre ACA.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »

Isn't it interesting that most of the relatively fit people replying think paying more is a good idea while many of the responses from people who may be carrying more weight than necessary seem to disagree?.

While I think a comparison with Japan is insightful, this statement is completely unfounded and prejudiced. I am against viewing obesity as a pre-existing condition and I have never been overweight my entire life despite having exercise induced asthma. I had to overcome this asthma to stay fit and healthy and always resented being charged more because of something I was born with. It is possible to be fit and healthy and disagree. You have no way of knowing the history of the people commenting on this thread.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Isn't it interesting that most of the relatively fit people replying think paying more is a good idea while many of the responses from people who may be carrying more weight than necessary seem to disagree?

Yes, it's shocking, that the people who would suffer under your plan to tax us to supplement your care object.

Shocking indeed.

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If you aren't caring for your health, you should pay more. If you're diabetic and work with your physician to achieve control, you don't get a surcharge. If you're hypertensive and don't act to reduce your bp - lose weight, exercise, take anti-hypertensives - you get a surcharge.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    If you aren't caring for your health, you should pay more. If you're diabetic and work with your physician to achieve control, you don't get a surcharge. If you're hypertensive and don't act to reduce your bp - lose weight, exercise, take anti-hypertensives - you get a surcharge.

This makes sense but it's a slippery slope. What if "caring for your health" extended to not engaging in extreme sports? Free climbing, wind suit jumping, paragliding, mountaineering, bmx trick riding, downhill mountain bike racing, white water rafting/kayaking, sky diving, etc. One could argue that taking risks of injury and death is not really caring for you health. We could all end up being limited to exercise machines indoors like hamsters.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »

Isn't it interesting that most of the relatively fit people replying think paying more is a good idea while many of the responses from people who may be carrying more weight than necessary seem to disagree?.

While I think a comparison with Japan is insightful, this statement is completely unfounded and prejudiced. I am against viewing obesity as a pre-existing condition and I have never been overweight my entire life despite having exercise induced asthma. I had to overcome this asthma to stay fit and healthy and always resented being charged more because of something I was born with. It is possible to be fit and healthy and disagree. You have no way of knowing the history of the people commenting on this thread.
    1) I said MOST, not all. Please read more carefully if you want to take offense.

2) Obesity and Exercise-Induced Asthma (EIA) are not the same thing.
    I have EIA also and I get plenty of exercise even though I must manage my medications.
    No they are not cheap but I still fought full-contact for 10 years.

3) I was not discussing pre-existing conditions or whether obesity should be classified as such.

Genetics causes EIA and there is little you can do to prevent it.
    Eating too much causes obesity and it can be prevented by not eating as much...
  • Macy9336
    Options
    Cqbkaju....Again you don't know if MOST are commenting one way or the other based on their weight status. It is purely an unfounded speculation on your part.
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    Yes, it's shocking, that the people who would suffer under your plan to tax us to supplement your care object.
    Hmm.. my point is that I -who work hard to remain physically fit and watch what I eat- do not want to pay for the health care costs associated with someone else being obese.
    But somehow you imply it means the overweight people would be supplementing *my* care?
    You tried to turn the whole thing around. That isn't how a civilized debate or discussion works.
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Cqbkaju....Again you don't know if MOST are commenting one way or the other based on their weight status. It is purely an unfounded speculation on your part.
    OK, fine. MOST of the responses I have read from people I am familiar with seem to agree with me.

My point stands.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. my point is that I -who work hard to remain physically fit and watch what I eat- do not want to pay for the health care costs associated with someone else being obese.
    But somehow you imply it means the overweight people would be supplementing *my* care?
    You tried to turn the whole thing around. That isn't how a civilized debate or discussion works.

If it's a fit test, fine... if its a 10 second scan of BMI, then I'm not fine.

Arbitrarily associating fitness with BMI is spurious at best. ~39% of "normal BMI" people are overfat and unfit. over 25% of overweight and Obese BMI are fit and healthy range fat.

• cqbkaju
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If it's a fit test, fine... if its a 10 second scan of BMI, then I'm not fine.

Arbitrarily associating fitness with BMI is spurious at best. ~39% of "normal BMI" people are overfat and unfit. over 25% of overweight and Obese BMI are fit and healthy range fat.
    I do not disagree with you here in the least. I personally believe that "BMI" is one of the worst bits of BS the medical community has come up with in a long time.
    BMI was designed to trend populations, not measure individuals.

I am basing my discussion around body fat percentages, not BMI.
    Pushing 31% body fat in women and 26% in men is when the proper definition of "obese" starts.

Pro bodybuilders are "obese" if you go by BMI. BMI is crap.

"Healthy ranges of body fat range from between 14-20% for men, a percentage of greater than 25% is considered to be unhealthy and puts the individual at an increased risk of obesity related illness. Healthy ranges for women range between 17-24% where a level of 30% body fat is considered unhealthy and at a level of increased risk." -- https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/measure_up_body_fat.htm