Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Exercise as a punishment in middle schoolers

Options
mkeonem
mkeonem Posts: 41 Member
My daughter came home the other day (11yrs old, 6th grade) and said that since they didn't follow the rules Friday last week in gym they are only going to be doing exercises--bodyweight stuff--for the rest of the year or until they can prove they can listen and follow rules.

While I agree they need to be given some kind of repercussion for not following the rules I do not think that exercises as a "punishment" is the healthy way to go. Not that working out is bad for them but because they are being taught that working out is a punishment for being bad/not following the rules. With obesity issues all over I think it is better to foster a positive relationship with exercising, not a negative one.

What do you think about using exercising in school PE class as a punishment? Any alternatives you recommend instead if you don't agree with it?

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    What else would people be doing in gym if not exercising?

I assume its the difference between playing a sport the kids enjoy and doing push-ups and sit-ups which the kids do not enjoy.
  • mkeonem
    Options
    I guess I did not really explain my point of view well. They do sit ups, push ups, laps and other stuff all the time as well. I am not against WHAT they are doing but, rather, the way that it is being used as a punishment. It is clearly pointed out to them that because they were bad when playing the game they were playing the other day they are being made to do exercises. Exercise is good and should not be pushed as a punishment in my opinion.

They were not being good sports and were cheating in their game. Personally I think that rather than saying "you have to do 30sec wall sit and if anyone falls we restart" as a punishment (which they are doing, according to what I have been told) why not teach them WHY sportsmanship is important when playing on a team?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    well, various problems with the format of the discipline delivery there. but not necessarily with the type of exercise. it seems more like the teacher was just 'taking away' whatever more-fun activity has the 'rules' they 'werent listening' to?

that seems like neutral cause-and-effect discipline to me: 'you're not ready for this, so we'll do that instead'. **

but the lag between perpetration and punishment seems a bit long for 11 [can see how a p.e. teacher has to wait for the next class though, so no real comment there]. and probably my main issue is with the duration, and the logical problem with 'how do you prove you're ready to do something now, if you never get to do the thing you're meant to prove it about?'

that sounds like inexperienced/punitive teaching to me. and it does give it the feel of revenge more than a neutral cause and effect. i don't think any of this has to do with making exercise a punishment though. context may be missing.

**occurs to me too that the teacher may have got a tiger by the tail there. bodyweight needs some 'rules' too. such as 'stack your joints safely' and 'don't x or y which could be harmful' and all of that stuff.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    No issue with it. We had the same thing in middle school. If we weren't doing what we were supposed to be doing, the class went to the weight room rather than playing; floor hockey, basketball, etc...

Not a big deal.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    What else would people be doing in gym if not exercising?

I assume its the difference between playing a sport the kids enjoy and doing push-ups and sit-ups which the kids do not enjoy.

Withdrawal of privilege is not punishment.

Playing fun sports is a privilege. By acting out, they lost that privilege. Since PE/gym class is where physical activity happens, going to a more regimented less fun activity is not punishment, it's appropriate teaching of consequence.

It's the difference between a pop quiz and playing Jeopardy in History/Science class. The material is still being evaluated, one method is just less fun. Playing Jeopardy is a reward, but the material has to be tested... so the pop quiz isn't a punishment.

And honestly, Doing less fun activity is less fun for the instructor as well as the students.

This is a better way of putting it than what I said and I agree completely.
  • mkeonem
    Options
    You all make great points. I guess I was just going with my own personal experience with things I was made to do as a child as punishment and how much I despise/avoid doing said things now as an adult where I have a choice in the matter.