Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Exercise as a punishment in middle schoolers

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Here is a quote from the Society of Health and Physical Educators. Note that their policy explicitly says that assigning exercise as a form of punishment is against their policy. Also note the expansive language that clearly states that PE is more than just doing exercises. I've bolded a few choice passages.

https://www.shapeamerica.org/publications/resources/teachingtools/qualitype/pa_vs_pe.aspx
    Policy and Environment:
    Every student is required to take daily physical education in grades K–12, with instruction periods totaling 150 minutes/week in elementary and 225 minutes/week in middle and high school. ″School districts and schools require full inclusion of all students in physical education
    School districts and schools do not allow waivers from physical education class time or credit requirements.
    School districts and schools do not allow student exemptions from physical education class time or credit requirements.
    School districts and schools prohibit students from substituting other activities (e.g., JROTC, interscholastic sports) for physical education class time or credit requirements.
    Physical education class size is consistent with that of other subject areas and aligns with school district and school teacher/student ratio policy.
    Physical activity is not assigned or withheld as punishment.
    Physical education is taught by a state-licensed or state-certified teacher who is endorsed to teach physical education.

Curriculum:
    Schools should have a written physical education curriculum for grades K-12 that is sequential and comprehensive.
    Physical education curriculum is based on national and/or state standards and grade-level outcomes for physical education.
    The physical education curriculum mirrors other school district and school curricula in its design and schedule for periodic review/update.

Appropriate Instruction:
    The physical education teacher uses instructional practices and deliberate-practice tasks that support the goals and objectives defined in the school district's/school's physical education curriculum (e.g., differentiated instruction, active engagement, modified activities, self-assessment, self-monitoring).
    The physical education teacher evaluates student learning continually to document teacher effectiveness.
    The physical education teacher employs instructional practices that engage students in moderate to vigorous physical activity for at least 50 percent of class time.
    The physical education teacher ensures the inclusion of all students and makes the necessary adaptations for students with special needs or disabilities.

Student Assessment:
    Student assessment is aligned with national and/or state physical education standards and established grade-level outcomes, and is included in the written physical education curriculum along with administration protocols.
    Student assessment includes evidence-based practices that measure student achievement in all areas of instruction, including physical fitness.
    Grading is related directly to the student learning objectives identified in the written physical education curriculum.
    The physical education teacher follows school and school district protocols for reporting and communicating student progress to students and parents.
    Physical activity is bodily movement of any type and may include recreational, fitness and sport activities such as jumping rope, playing soccer, lifting weights, as well as daily activities such as walking to the store, taking the stairs or raking the leaves. Similar health benefits to those received during a physical education class are possible during physical activity bouts when the participant is active at an intensity that increases heart rate and produces heavier than normal breathing. SHAPE America recommends implementing a Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program (CSPAP) for students to achieve at least 60 minutes and up to several hours of physical activity per day.

A Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program (CSPAP) is a multi-component approach by which school districts and schools provide multiple opportunities to accumulate 60 minutes of physical activity before, during and after the school day.Physical education is the foundation of the CSPAP model and ensures an opportunity for physical activity for every student in school. Additional opportunities for physical activity throughout the school day include classroom-based movement, recess, intramural sports and various before and after school activities. A CSPAP also includes opportunities for staff, family and community members to engage in physical activity.

The benefits of regular physical activity include:

Reduces the risk for overweight, diabetes and other chronic diseases
    Assists in improved academic performance
    Helps children feel better about themselves
    Reduces the risk for depression and the effects of stress
    Helps children prepare to be productive, healthy members of society and
    Improves overall quality of life.
    Citation: Ballard K, Caldwell D, Dunn C, Hardison A, Newkirk, J, Sanderson M, Thaxton Vodicka S, Thomas C Move More, NC's Recommended Standards For Physical Activity In School. North Carolina DHHS, NC Division of Public Health, Raleigh, NC; 2005.

It is important to understand not only the differences between physical education and physical activity, but also how they work together to develop students' knowledge, skills, and confidence to be physically active for a lifetime. Physical education is where students learn to be physically active and physical activity programs provide opportunities for students to practice what they learn in physical education.

Is it okay with you if I disagree with that policy or do I have to now change my opinion because someone wrote that down in a rulebook?

I mean what are we trying to accomplish by protecting children against the threat of exercise in gym class exactly?

You are obviously free to disagree with the policy.

But your last sentence seems disingenuous to me. No one is claiming that exercise is a threat. I'm claiming that this teacher's punishment is unwarranted and unfair. Obviously in PE kids should be exercising.

Except that those two statements are mutually exclusive

You can't have both
    I'm claiming that this teacher's punishment is unwarranted and unfair.
    And
    Obviously in PE kids should be exercising.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Here is a quote from the Society of Health and Physical Educators. Note that their policy explicitly says that assigning exercise as a form of punishment is against their policy. Also note the expansive language that clearly states that PE is more than just doing exercises. I've bolded a few choice passages.

https://www.shapeamerica.org/publications/resources/teachingtools/qualitype/pa_vs_pe.aspx
    Policy and Environment:
    Every student is required to take daily physical education in grades K–12, with instruction periods totaling 150 minutes/week in elementary and 225 minutes/week in middle and high school. ″School districts and schools require full inclusion of all students in physical education
    School districts and schools do not allow waivers from physical education class time or credit requirements.
    School districts and schools do not allow student exemptions from physical education class time or credit requirements.
    School districts and schools prohibit students from substituting other activities (e.g., JROTC, interscholastic sports) for physical education class time or credit requirements.
    Physical education class size is consistent with that of other subject areas and aligns with school district and school teacher/student ratio policy.
    Physical education is taught by a state-licensed or state-certified teacher who is endorsed to teach physical education.

Curriculum:
    Schools should have a written physical education curriculum for grades K-12 that is sequential and comprehensive.
    Physical education curriculum is based on national and/or state standards and grade-level outcomes for physical education.
    The physical education curriculum mirrors other school district and school curricula in its design and schedule for periodic review/update.

Appropriate Instruction:
    The physical education teacher uses instructional practices and deliberate-practice tasks that support the goals and objectives defined in the school district's/school's physical education curriculum (e.g., differentiated instruction, active engagement, modified activities, self-assessment, self-monitoring).
    The physical education teacher evaluates student learning continually to document teacher effectiveness.
    The physical education teacher employs instructional practices that engage students in moderate to vigorous physical activity for at least 50 percent of class time.
    The physical education teacher ensures the inclusion of all students and makes the necessary adaptations for students with special needs or disabilities.

Student Assessment:
    Student assessment is aligned with national and/or state physical education standards and established grade-level outcomes, and is included in the written physical education curriculum along with administration protocols.
    Student assessment includes evidence-based practices that measure student achievement in all areas of instruction, including physical fitness.
    Grading is related directly to the student learning objectives identified in the written physical education curriculum.
    The physical education teacher follows school and school district protocols for reporting and communicating student progress to students and parents.
    Physical activity is bodily movement of any type and may include recreational, fitness and sport activities such as jumping rope, playing soccer, lifting weights, as well as daily activities such as walking to the store, taking the stairs or raking the leaves. Similar health benefits to those received during a physical education class are possible during physical activity bouts when the participant is active at an intensity that increases heart rate and produces heavier than normal breathing. SHAPE America recommends implementing a Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program (CSPAP) for students to achieve at least 60 minutes and up to several hours of physical activity per day.

A Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program (CSPAP) is a multi-component approach by which school districts and schools provide multiple opportunities to accumulate 60 minutes of physical activity before, during and after the school day.Physical education is the foundation of the CSPAP model and ensures an opportunity for physical activity for every student in school. Additional opportunities for physical activity throughout the school day include classroom-based movement, recess, intramural sports and various before and after school activities. A CSPAP also includes opportunities for staff, family and community members to engage in physical activity.

Citation: Ballard K, Caldwell D, Dunn C, Hardison A, Newkirk, J, Sanderson M, Thaxton Vodicka S, Thomas C Move More, NC's Recommended Standards For Physical Activity In School. North Carolina DHHS, NC Division of Public Health, Raleigh, NC; 2005.

It is important to understand not only the differences between physical education and physical activity, but also how they work together to develop students' knowledge, skills, and confidence to be physically active for a lifetime. Physical education is where students learn to be physically active and physical activity programs provide opportunities for students to practice what they learn in physical education.

Is it okay with you if I disagree with that policy or do I have to now change my opinion because someone wrote that down in a rulebook?

I mean what are we trying to accomplish by protecting children against the threat of exercise in gym class exactly?

But your last sentence seems disingenuous to me. No one is claiming that exercise is a threat. I'm claiming that this teacher's punishment is unwarranted and unfair. Obviously in PE kids should be exercising.

If exercise is not a threat and is something the kids should obviously be doing in PE, then in what way is exercise a punishment?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

The curriculum is move 45 minutes a day 3-5 days a week.

Anything beyond that is "health class" not Gym... although there's generally a substantial overlap

Ahem. The guidelines of the Society of Health and Physical Educators disagree with you. I'll post an excerpt in another post.

Whole lot of words that say exactly what I did.

Please see my post immediately prior. Especially the part about not assigning exercise as punishment.

Just demonstrates that you have poor reading comprehension skills.

None of that supports your case

Further, here is a position statement from SHAPE which clarifies their position:
    https://www.shapeamerica.org//advocacy/positionstatements/pa/upload/Using-Physical-Activity-as-Punishment-2009.pdf
    A student’s motivation for being physically active by engaging in the important subject matter
    content of physical education and sport should never fall victim to the inappropriate use of
    physical activity as a disciplinary consequence. SHAPE America supports that view in its
    National Standards for Sport Coaches: Quality Coaches, Quality Sports, which states that
    coaches should “never use physical activity or peer pressure as a means of disciplining athlete
    behavior” (NASPE, 2005, p. 17).
    Examples of the inappropriate use of physical activity include:
     Withholding physical education class or recess time for students to complete unfinished
    school work or as a consequence for misbehavior;
     Forcing students to run laps or perform push-ups because of behavioral infractions (e.g.,
    showing up late, talking, and disruptive behavior);
    Threatening students with physical activity or no physical activity (e.g., no recess, no
    game time), and then removing the threat because of good behavior; and

 Making students run for losing a game or for poor performance (e.g., missing a foul shot,
    dropping the football).

Feel free to disagree with the policy, but its intent is clear.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Not sure why people think that body weight exercises/running isn't part of the curriculum

^^This, and usually it was for one day (and structured via curriculum). If we were screwing around during a game or something, we went to the weight room for the day...

I don't see the issue, it wasn't a big deal.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Anything beyond that is "health class" not Gym... although there's generally a substantial overlap

Ahem. The guidelines of the Society of Health and Physical Educators disagree with you. I'll post an excerpt in another post.

Please see my post immediately prior. Especially the part about not assigning exercise as punishment.

Further, here is a position statement from SHAPE which clarifies their position:
    https://www.shapeamerica.org//advocacy/positionstatements/pa/upload/Using-Physical-Activity-as-Punishment-2009.pdf
    A student’s motivation for being physically active by engaging in the important subject matter
    content of physical education and sport should never fall victim to the inappropriate use of
    physical activity as a disciplinary consequence. SHAPE America supports that view in its
    National Standards for Sport Coaches: Quality Coaches, Quality Sports, which states that
    coaches should “never use physical activity or peer pressure as a means of disciplining athlete
     Withholding physical education class or recess time for students to complete unfinished
     Forcing students to run laps or perform push-ups because of behavioral infractions (e.g.,
    Threatening students with physical activity or no physical activity (e.g., no recess, no

 Making students run for losing a game or for poor performance (e.g., missing a foul shot,
    dropping the football).

Not sure who this group is, but it's pretty clear they don't understand coaching or Physical training.
    dropping the football).
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

dropping the football).

and we are back to this - this occurred during a regularly scheduled PT session - so there is no threat of withholding recess or game time - calisthenics occur as part of a regularly scheduled PT curriculum - just because the teacher is not rewarding cheating (because face it, that is what this is all about) with the continuation of a game in which they were cheating...

i would love to see what NASPE says is an appropriate punishment for cheating...because that is how (and this is me on my soapbox) we end up in a society where an adult cheats in a race and instead of highlighting how wrong it is - the general discussion is - why should I care, it doesn't affect me - allowing cheating early on with punishment to address the wrong doing is as bad
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the teacher was formerly in the service. Did he make them wear PT belts?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Policy and Environment:

Curriculum:

Appropriate Instruction:

Student Assessment:

If exercise is not a threat and is something the kids should obviously be doing in PE, then in what way is exercise a punishment?

I'm sorry, @Aaron_K123 and @stanmann571, it seems that you are willfully misreading me.

I'm going away after this post and may dive in again later today.

Exercise is a necessary component of PE. Exercise is not the sole component of PE. In this particular case, the punishment administered by the teacher was a restriction of the classwork to exercise only, leaving out what are surely important parts of the PE coursework. I'm baffled that almost no one seems to have a problem with that.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Policy and Environment:

Curriculum:

Appropriate Instruction:

Student Assessment:

I'm sorry, @Aaron_K123 and @stanmann571, it seems that you are willfully misreading me.

Exercise is a necessary component of PE. Exercise is not the sole component of PE. In this particular case, the punishment administered by the teacher was a restriction of the classwork to exercise only, leaving out what are surely important parts of the PE coursework. I'm baffled that almost no one seems to have a problem with that.

and what were the "important" parts of the PE coursework? no one has been able to enunciate that
  • Aaron_K123
    edited November 2017
    Options

Policy and Environment:

Curriculum:

Appropriate Instruction:

Student Assessment:

I'd agree with you that this would be inappropriate if this action replaced the rest of the years activities with absolutely nothing but push-ups. I very much doubt that is the case though as that seems unreasonable enough to be unlikely. Isn't it much more likely that this is something that is going to last a week? What in what the OP said makes you think this is some sort of permanent change to the ciriculum?

I'm pretty okay with kids who were abusing a privilege they were given having that privilege removed temporarily as a form of lesson in discipline. I'm sorry but I don't view playing a particular sport as some sort of protected right. I think it would be extreme to remove that privilege forever and I would oppose that but that seems to be just a big assumption you are making that isn't actually backed up by anything.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Policy and Environment:

Curriculum:

Appropriate Instruction:

Student Assessment:

What "important parts"? There's no such thing, or at least there wasn't at my school. Exercise would at least have been useful. Learning the rules of volleyball? Not important.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm going to reply here and then stop because I do have to get to work...
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Possibly. You are forming an opinion based upon hearsay and inserting a great deal of confirmation bias based upon a personal negative experience.

I agree that this is based on hearsay, but that's all the information I have. I did note above that I would be in contact with the teacher. And my personal experience is all I have to go on, I'm afraid. But I am also a parent of 4 sons and a Cub Scout leader, so I actually do have some experience in dealing with rowdy, misbehaving kids. I will also add that there seems to be plenty of confirmation bias to go around here.
    My 6th grade track coach corrected me for slacking off. I spent the next two weeks running events I had little to no experience in. Sure I was angry at first, but accepted responsibility for my actions. Going through this process was a tremendous learning experience.
    It's all how you interpret and learn from the event.

I note that this is a coach in a voluntary sport. Not a forced educational process.

Nope - PE coach as part of the mandatory curriculum.

Note that this resulted with the coach suggesting that I try out for the track team after this.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Policy and Environment:

Curriculum:

Appropriate Instruction:

Student Assessment:

and what were the "important" parts of the PE coursework? no one has been able to enunciate that

^^This, I was about to ask the same thing. What did they lose in "course work" by performing one day from a different "lesson".

Does anyone really think the teacher was serious that this is all they'll do the rest of the year? If I had $1 for every time I heard that in middle school....
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not a teacher. Granted they make sightly more than a night manager at Taco Bell, but they just can't win. It's a job where every decision you make is going to be second guessed by dozens of people and their parents.

Ugh seriously, I cannot think of a job that couples difficulty with lack of pay with thanklessness more than that of a teacher.