Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are some WOE more acceptable than others?

Options

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    K
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ryenday wrote: »
    vingogly wrote: »
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    Is this generally true? I get the feeling most keto practitioners do intend on eating that way permanently, although I'll admit my knowledge of keto is pretty limited.

And most "diets" fail in maintenance because the lifestyle limitations aren't sustainable for the long haul. They may well intend to eat that way permanently - good luck to them with that.

All the people flooding the gyms this month intend to keep exercising forever, and almost all of them will be gone by end of next month.

But isn’t sustainablility an individual thing, not one size fits all?

I’ll get the woo storm for this but daily calorie restriction to a CICO determined level was not sustainable for me. It meant less than 1500 calories a day as maintenance and constant hangry. So I explored some WOE’s to see what might make a sustainable lifetime eating plan for me that would not have me gain weight but also would not turn me into Ms. Hangry.

I found a WOE that works for me. I don’t evangelize it, nor do I expect it would work for the next person. I do think it is worth trying. And it isn’t Keto, I like my potatoes too much ;) but I sure think those looking for their individual sustainable path should try Keto if it sounds like a match for them. And I hope experienced Keto-ers see their threads with questions and help.

Because I do not think that a drive by reply along the lines of “you don’t need to do ‘x’ to lose weight” helps anyone. Or is supportive. Or even is common courtesy. IM(worthless)O it is mocking, ridiculing, shaming etc type of response.

YMMV.

Are you saying that the way you've chosen to eat enables you to eat more than the 1500 calories you've determined as your maintenance level, and still lose weight?

I now eat approx 1800 most days maintenance. But I do two 500 days to make up the caloric difference. Not denying cico. Just saying eating a DAILY calorie allotment determined by CICO without something more (WOE) was a quick road to not sustainable for me personally. Less than 1500 calories everyday makes for an awful Ms. Hangry for me.

Obviously what I find sustainable may not be for the next person and vise versa.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    vingogly wrote: »
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    Is this generally true? I get the feeling most keto practitioners do intend on eating that way permanently, although I'll admit my knowledge of keto is pretty limited.

And most "diets" fail in maintenance because the lifestyle limitations aren't sustainable for the long haul. They may well intend to eat that way permanently - good luck to them with that.

All the people flooding the gyms this month intend to keep exercising forever, and almost all of them will be gone by end of next month.

But isn’t sustainablility an individual thing, not one size fits all?

I’ll get the woo storm for this but daily calorie restriction to a CICO determined level was not sustainable for me. It meant less than 1500 calories a day as maintenance and constant hangry. So I explored some WOE’s to see what might make a sustainable lifetime eating plan for me that would not have me gain weight but also would not turn me into Ms. Hangry.

I found a WOE that works for me. I don’t evangelize it, nor do I expect it would work for the next person. I do think it is worth trying. And it isn’t Keto, I like my potatoes too much ;) but I sure think those looking for their individual sustainable path should try Keto if it sounds like a match for them. And I hope experienced Keto-ers see their threads with questions and help.

Because I do not think that a drive by reply along the lines of “you don’t need to do ‘x’ to lose weight” helps anyone. Or is supportive. Or even is common courtesy. IM(worthless)O it is mocking, ridiculing, shaming etc type of response.

YMMV.

I very frequently suggest that if people think a particular strategy for limiting calories more sustainably for them sounds appealing that they try it. I've said this about IF and keto and low carb. No one has ever given me a hard time for saying that (or for saying that low carb for me helps with appetite control -- I now think it's a little more complicated, but low carbing with lots of vegetables is one strategy that DOES help me have lower calories).

So I think you are wrong in claiming that people have problems with others trying and finding help with low carb or keto or IF, so on. (Many of the people in this thread have done things like IF and found it helpful, whether or not they use the term.)
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I invite others to read the thread and tell me what I am missing.

I read through it too, and couldn't see the issue. It's hard to tell context over text on a screen. What is considered rude or short, isn't usually the case. But people read (and read into) things differently.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a dilemma. Someone is trying to go Keto on a vegetarian diet, and is having trouble finding protein sources and keeps going over on carbs. Yeah, that's going to happen. Do we explain to the person WHY trying to do both will be a struggle?