Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are some WOE more acceptable than others?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Raw veganism gets questioned a LOT more than keto, IMO (and. also IMO, rightly so), and so do low protein forms of veganism.

You can certainly be healthy on a raw vegan diet, but there are certain issues you have to contend with and many aren't doing things like sprouting pulses. Low protein veganism, on the other hand, I don't think you can make any sort of evidence based case for (by low, I mean sub-20% of calories from protein).

An aside, but it depends on total calories (which is why I hate the percentage approach). People will say things like "Kenyan marathoners do 80-10-10," and I think they almost do (the study I've seen said 10% protein, 77% carbs, 13% fat), but 10% of a professional marathoner's calories is different than 10% of someone eating 1200 or even 1500. Apparently the numbers work out to about .6 g per lb for the marathoners. Not vegans, but largely plant-based and relevant comparison, I think.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    OP... start a thread about going vegan because you watched "What the Health" and then compare it to your typical Keto discussion. ;)

Yeah, we had a couple over the summer, and the vegan's were coming out of the woodwork to lambaste the "documentary"
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That's not what I see at all.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    There was a thread just before Christmas where a type 2 diabetic asked for help in staving off the holiday sweet cravings he had.

The response to him hat he should stop demonizing sugar and just make room in his calories for those treats was priceless and typical of the WOE pushback here that I see. I still worry about that poor fellow. (Tho thankfully some folks did offer some good usable suggestions and not try to ridicule his struggle - but he disappeared from the boards )

I don’t think some WOE’s have it easier on MFP, really. iF’ers, gluten free, sugar abstainers, clean eaters, good carb/bad carb, keto, vegan whatever. Even posters who explain health needs for a WOE (“I’m a type 2 diabetic and need to limit my sugar”) get the pushback (“stop demonizing sugar and just fit treats into your calories determined by CICO.”) :(

QFT

Sorry, I don’t know how to link to a discussion on my phone. The thread title was ‘The Xmas dilemma’ and the forum food and nutrition. Time period December.