Easy store or collapsible weight?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
Especially dumbells. Do they exist or exist at a price that doesn't break the bank? I still have weight to lose, but I am aiming for some aggressive ish weight loss over the next few months and I want to maintain what little muscle I have. However, I am a full-time college student and a super busy mom of three, two of whom are non-verbal with autism and we have no car and as the genie would say, "itty-bitty living space". Please help with any simple tips on how I can improve my body composition exercise wise at home without taking up a ton of space with equipment? I have a gym membership but rarely time to travel their lately. I'm preparing for pharmacy school. I'd still like to take some time at home. I walk a lot for cardiovascular but all I have of my own for weights is a kettlebell right now. Thank you.

Replies

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You can get a variety of adjustable dumbbells from Amazon, such as this set with a case:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WSFSGC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B071WSFSGC&pd_rd_wg=0QnmY&pd_rd_r=BNSP1Y4HHYFMYBZC7SPV&pd_rd_w=zU5G0

$50, and they store away nicely, but they are kind of a pain in the butt, especially if you are supersetting, so your would have to not only consider what muscles are being worked in a superset, but also make sure that they take the same weight (or just work in bodyweight exercises). Constantly switching the weights gets old really fast, but on the upside you can hide them under the couch.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The couple on FitnessBlender use these https://www.amazon.com/Power-Block-GF-SPDBLK24-Adjustable-SpeedBlock/dp/B000A6T9I8/ref=sr_1_6?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1517514296&sr=1-6&keywords=adjustable+dumbbells. Now that I looked them up they are a bit expensive but it seems worth the price if you'll use them. What I did to set up my new home gym last month was peruse the Facebook Marketplace. I found several sets of dumbbells in the size I use, a kettle bell, and a Weider total gym. I've been working out everyday at home using FitnessBlender and the treadmill my MIL gave me.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Especially dumbells. Do they exist or exist at a price that doesn't break the bank? I still have weight to lose, but I am aiming for some aggressive ish weight loss over the next few months and I want to maintain what little muscle I have. However, I am a full-time college student and a super busy mom of three, two of whom are non-verbal with autism and we have no car and as the genie would say, "itty-bitty living space". Please help with any simple tips on how I can improve my body composition exercise wise at home without taking up a ton of space with equipment? I have a gym membership but rarely time to travel their lately. I'm preparing for pharmacy school. I'd still like to take some time at home. I walk a lot for cardiovascular but all I have of my own for weights is a kettlebell right now. Thank you.

A lot of universities have a gym right on campus (where I would guess you already travel to every day) at a highly discounted rate for students.

Otherwise, ditto on the ubiquitous 1" threaded collar dumbbells and plates. (would definitely be a P.I.T.A. if supersetting).
    Or a junior barbell (the short ones)(you can get these non-threaded and in both 1" and 2" unlike the dumbbells (likely to fit under most couches with the plates removed)..so [1] don't need to buy and constantly swap 4 plates in tinier increments instead of 2 plates in wider increments, and [2] collars will be quicker than threaded, can price compare what it would be for both sizes of plates, BB and go with the cheaper option.

Also, ditto on waiting and checking Craigslist in mid-late February when the resolutioners throw in the towel.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Body weight or a selection of decent KBells(craigslist)-Don't pay over $1 lb. can be had for .75 lb around march. When the new years resolutioners get rid of the stuff they aren't going to use but before the beachbodiers drive the prices back up.

See Pavel/Sarah Lurie for workout suggestions.

OOPs, just saw your last.

assuming it's an appropriate size 15/25 lbs 7/12 kilos you'll be fine.

If it's 3 lbs and pink you're probably out of luck.

Haha. It's gray and yes it's around that weight. To be honest I just use it and don't even remember to look at it so it's either 20 or 30 lol I'm the least observant person in the world.... I was trying to start small and I figure I'll work my way up.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

A lot of universities have a gym right on campus (where I would guess you already travel to every day) at a highly discounted rate for students.

Otherwise, ditto on the ubiquitous 1" threaded collar dumbbells and plates. (would definitely be a P.I.T.A. if supersetting).
    Or a junior barbell (the short ones)(you can get these non-threaded and in both 1" and 2" unlike the dumbbells (likely to fit under most couches with the plates removed)..so [1] don't need to buy and constantly swap 4 plates in tinier increments instead of 2 plates in wider increments, and [2] collars will be quicker than threaded, can price compare what it would be for both sizes of plates, BB and go with the cheaper option.

Also, ditto on waiting and checking Craigslist in mid-late February when the resolutioners throw in the towel.

Yes but sadly my elderly parents are my babysitters and they're in there 60s so I pretty much go to class then need to go straight home usually. I never knew of smaller dumbells but I'll look for them! Thanks!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I'm really exhausted or I'd respond to everyone but thank you all for the ideas!!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider some sort of suspension trainer. TRX is the most well known but lots of options out there
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    you are your own gym

From the outset this seems remarkably unhelpful................................... But yes google this.
  • Verity1111
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You can get a variety of adjustable dumbbells from Amazon, such as this set with a case:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WSFSGC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B071WSFSGC&pd_rd_wg=0QnmY&pd_rd_r=BNSP1Y4HHYFMYBZC7SPV&pd_rd_w=zU5G0

$50, and they store away nicely, but they are kind of a pain in the butt, especially if you are supersetting, so your would have to not only consider what muscles are being worked in a superset, but also make sure that they take the same weight (or just work in bodyweight exercises). Constantly switching the weights gets old really fast, but on the upside you can hide them under the couch.

I was going to say I was hoping for more weight but I see you can add all the weight to one bar if you want. I guess 40 isnt so bad. I have a 20lb kettlebell right now and I want to work up to something harder and easier to do exercises with. Kettlebells are great but not *as* versatile to me as dumbells or barbells. Thank you for linking me. :)
  • Verity1111
    Options
    you are your own gym

From the outset this seems remarkably unhelpful................................... But yes google this.

Yes I am aware to some extent but if I eventually want to build muscle (which I do - just not yet because I am eating at a deficit for now) I will need weights I assume? Trying to be prepared lol
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I was going to say I was hoping for more weight but I see you can add all the weight to one bar if you want. I guess 40 isnt so bad. I have a 20lb kettlebell right now and I want to work up to something harder and easier to do exercises with. Kettlebells are great but not *as* versatile to me as dumbells or barbells. Thank you for linking me. :)

Please explain, what dumbbell exercise cannot be done with KBells?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

Maybe because they can be awkward to hold? IDK, I'm not the OP.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight with HIIT. You can do it anywhere. No equipment besides sneakers and a mat. If you workout with intensity in true HIIT fashion you can get a serious workout. Check out Melissa Bender and Betty Rocker both on YouTube.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Google Landmines.
    You will need a landmine base, Olympic bar and weights. You can store everything against a wall.

• Verity1111
    edited February 2018
    Options

Kettlebell as in one. and if I lift it with one hand it hits me in my arm... I cant exactly do quick reps with it without hurting myself. 20lbs is heavy for me for one hand.
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Check gumtree/eBay... I picked up a pair of bow flex adjustable dumbbells for £120! They are a little more bulky compared to the equivalent free weight dumbbell but very cost and space saving!