How long have you hung on to your oversized clothes?

Options
My closet is full of clothes that are four and five sizes too big but I'm having such a hard time letting it go. How long have you kept your oversized clothes?

Answers

• AmyDahlTorres
    AmyDahlTorres Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When I approached a new season, I'd check sizing and set aside. So essentially, once season, per year. Your loss in weight is someone else's gain in their closet. Don't forget to check shoes; your feet shrink too!
  • leduck1
    leduck1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I kept mine for a year after maintaining a 70 lb weight loss and got rid of them. I have a wardrobe I look good in, enjoy, and that let me know if I gain some weight. I’m not going back!
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    I still have one shorts outfit I absolutely love and am trying to figure out how to make them work.

The clothes that i wore--immediately. I kept a few big t-shirts, tie them in a knot at the waist, over Jean shorts--that type of thing. Everything else goes.

Still have lots of tops I never wore anyway. Slowly sorting into goodwill, soft rags, and trash piles.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    @springlering62, looks like you know what to get hubby for Xmas, birthdays, valentine's, etc. For a long time to come.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    I still have one shorts outfit I absolutely love and am trying to figure out how to make them work.

The clothes that i wore--immediately. I kept a few big t-shirts, tie them in a knot at the waist, over Jean shorts--that type of thing. Everything else goes.

Still have lots of tops I never wore anyway. Slowly sorting into goodwill, soft rags, and trash piles.

If you don't sew, can a local seamstress/tailor do anything for you, for something you love that much? (It could be easy or difficult, depending on construction details.)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,151 Member
    Options
    I am still wearing mine and I am almost 90 pounds down in a year. I have started to get rid of some of them just this past week, and started to get some clothing from thrift stores as I still have some weight to lose.
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am still wearing mine and I am almost 90 pounds down in a year. I have started to get rid of some of them just this past week, and started to get some clothing from thrift stores as I still have some weight to lose.

90 pounds down!? It's time. Surely your clothes don't fit. Smart getting thrift store clothes in the interim.

I'm 5 pounds down from my starting weight. I see the difference in the mirror. My clothes are a little bit looser but not enough to go to the next size down. Looking forward to that!
  • Veta2018
    Veta2018 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm down almost 50 pounds now. Last year, I got rid of all my small summer shorts. I didn't plan on losing weight at the time, because they were cute and I would be able to fit in them now. I recently got rid of lots of winter clothes that were too big. I kept the smallest ones and bought a couple smaller sizes from the resale shop to hold me over. I don't plan on purchasing new clothes till the next season. Then, I plan on getting rid of all the old. Bras, and underware will also need replaced.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,151 Member
    Options
    lisakatz2 wrote: »

90 pounds down!? It's time. Surely your clothes don't fit. Smart getting thrift store clothes in the interim.

I'm 5 pounds down from my starting weight. I see the difference in the mirror. My clothes are a little bit looser but not enough to go to the next size down. Looking forward to that!

I am cheap, and frankly, I work in a setting where I have just been waiting for my new work clothing to arrive from this years ordering. It just did, so I have new work clothing. I also have some other stuff from the thrift store now (picked up this week), so when I need to look good, I can. As for mucking around at home, I will stick to the oversized stuff for now, as I said, I am cheap and clothing really isn't that important to me.
  • terrila2018
    terrila2018 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My aunt used to say the downfall of healthy bodies came with the invention of "rubber clothing" that stretches to fit many sizes. You can gain several pounds before you get serious about the problem. When you get used to being comfortable in the stretchies, it's hard to go back to fitted clothing. I'm trying to embrace normal jeans again instead of leggings that masquerade as jeans with a long shirt to cover the belly. When your jeans are feeling tight, you know the scale will confirm what you suspect.
  • mae1658
    mae1658 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I get rid of the clothes that I know I don't love or are worn right away. But I do keep a tote of my favourites and just hang onto them. I did the same when I was smaller and then gained weight and I'm thankful I did, as I now fit back into those smaller clothes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!