kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member
I found an interesting article today:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/05/22/stop-trying-eat-more-protein

Discuss!

Replies

• hardyjessicag
    hardyjessicag Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I totally agree- Protein is really good for you, but there is such a thing as too much. It also helps to take it at certain times (like after your workout) to get the full benefits.

You can always have too much protein, just like you can have too much of everything else.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you feel like the bare minimum is enough, then ok.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    If you feel like the bare minimum is enough, then ok.

Well, I thought I remembered you saying that you wanted to express yourself.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If I am not actively trying to eat more food with protein in it, I will become deficient. Maybe I need more or maybe it's because I really love carbs and I don't have a problem with carbs being the majority of my calories. I am also told that I have a metabolic disorder and eating more protein will help with that. Once I was so severely protein deficient my finger nails were deeply ridged. I added more protein to my diet and they were better in like a month. I still to this day have a problem with eating enough, but I think I do get the bare minimum. BTW this is whether I eat a plant based diet or even if I include meat in my diet. When I was eating meat it wouldn't be odd to me to just have an ounce or two in a day, but it was usually less than even that.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I dont see any citations of any research studies or any credentials of the person creating the article. There is no sufficient evidence of any statement she is creating and she is plagiarizing at this point and spreading horse ****
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I dont see any citations of any research studies or any credentials of the person creating the article. There is no sufficient evidence of any statement she is creating and she is plagiarizing at this point and spreading horse ****

YES! thank you.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    huh? you mean my word isn't enough?
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I totally agree- Protein is really good for you, but there is such a thing as too much. It also helps to take it at certain times (like after your workout) to get the full benefits.

You can always have too much protein, just like you can have too much of everything else.

protein has been evaluated to be in safe consumption up to 1.4(so far)g per lb of bw.

There is nothing bad that can come out of protein consumption in a healthy human being with no underlying medical condition.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    - Lack of protein deficiency =/= optimal protein intake
    - the RDA numbers are based on very old and flawed methodologies where they used nitrogen balance as a proxy for muscle protein synthesis
    - the RDA numbers are with regard to people not on caloric restriction nor exercising with any rigor, both of which increase protein needs
    - headline is misleading - they are really talking about the fact that you can get protein from non meat sources
    - biased viewpoint considering where the article is from
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Of course, that's what most nutrition articles are.

If there ain't a Ph.D. in the byline, it's blog fluff.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options

2d0nlnn.jpg
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    - the RDA numbers are based on very old and flawed methodologies where they used nitrogen balance as a proxy for muscle protein synthesis
    - the RDA numbers are with regard to people not on caloric restriction nor exercising with any rigor, both of which increase protein needs
    - headline is misleading - they are really talking about the fact that you can get protein from non meat sources

All of this.

And I also agree with the poster who calls BS on the article because of lack of sources and plagiarism.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Basically the surmise is that , where once it was believed that complete protein was needed to be eaten at each meal or day
    or the body couldn't use it, that's no longer the case. Therefore the vegan diet is no longer considered automatically deficient in
    protein!
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Basically the surmise is that , where once it was believed that complete protein was needed to be eaten at each meal or day
    or the body couldn't use it, that's no longer the case. Therefore the vegan diet is no longer considered automatically deficient in
    protein!

there is such thing as food weak in EAA.
    vegan food fits in that category.
  • sozisraw
    Options
    That's why I used the word automatically! as quinoa is a complete protein. However although I am mainly vegan myself
    I am watching my fitness very closely and my ability with increased strength training and my general health very closely.
    Im not afraid to eat other protein sources, definitely not meat.
    You seem to know your stuff, does nuts and legumes complete a protein?
    As a woman at menopausal age, Im more concerned with maintaining good health than becoming an fitness athlete.
    :smile:
  • DatMurse
    Options
    That's why I used the word automatically! as quinoa is a complete protein. However although I am mainly vegan myself
    I am watching my fitness very closely and my ability with increased strength training and my general health very closely.
    As a woman at menopausal age, Im more concerned with maintaining good health than becoming an fitness athlete.

lol so what does meat have to do with not maintaining good health?

quinoa has a 1:4 ratio and is not a decent source of protein.
  • sozisraw
    Options

lol so what does meat have to do with not maintaining good health?

quinoa has a 1:4 ratio and is not a decent source of protein.

Ethics everyone is multifaceted, and no time or interest to others to fully explain 'where someone is coming from'.
    Also no longer like or want meat, genuinely.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

What she said.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Nuts and legumes complete a protein that are lacking in amino acids that they have. For example, rice lacks enough lycine to make it complete but has all the other EAAs, whereas for example, mushrooms and pinto beans have a good amount of lycine but lack enough methionine to make them complete.

Nutritional yeast is a great thing to add to your diet as it is a complete protein and also is usually fortified with B12. Hemp seeds are also complete proteins.