Stop trying to eat more protein!

Options

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Basically the surmise is that , where once it was believed that complete protein was needed to be eaten at each meal or day
    or the body couldn't use it, that's no longer the case. Therefore the vegan diet is no longer considered automatically deficient in
    protein!

That's what I took from it too - the title is a little misleading. When I was vegan/vegetarian years ago it was thought that you had to carefully balance the protein sources in each meal, but it looks like that's no longer considered necessary.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    That's why I used the word automatically! as quinoa is a complete protein. However although I am mainly vegan myself
    I am watching my fitness very closely and my ability with increased strength training and my general health very closely.
    Im not afraid to eat other protein sources, definitely not meat.
    You seem to know your stuff, does nuts and legumes complete a protein?
    As a woman at menopausal age, Im more concerned with maintaining good health than becoming an fitness athlete.
    :smile:

Nuts and legumes complete a protein that are lacking in amino acids that they have. For example, rice lacks enough lycine to make it complete but has all the other EAAs, whereas for example, mushrooms and pinto beans have a good amount of lycine but lack enough methionine to make them complete.

Nutritional yeast is a great thing to add to your diet as it is a complete protein and also is usually fortified with B12. Hemp seeds are also complete proteins.

Thank you very much sarauk ! I am newely vegan this year after 10 or so years as mainly vegetarian. I'm starting heavier lifting program with my pt this week! I am new to this! I've been an aerobic instructor and also up my early 40s a martial artist, so I have fairly good body awareness to monitor my strength abilities and energy levels. I would appreciate yours and side steels opinion on my fat % and muscle form as I hopefully progress , via your group!
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    isnt the case that the protein you dont use, just comes out in waste?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    isnt the case that the protein you dont use, just comes out in waste?

No. Protein is not just used for protein synthesis - it is also used for energy via a process called gluconeogenesis.
  • talk2elles
    talk2elles Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The U.S. National Institute of Health published the following article about people needing more protein than currently suggested and also gave optimal amounts.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2666737/

Have a read, it's pretty interesting
  • blakerb29
    blakerb29 Posts: 74
    Options
    This lady has a point but only to an extent.

Those who are very active or weight training probably will have to seek out more protein in their diet, I know if I don't then I ache and my body takes longer to recover.

She also calls bs on amino acids now again, that is true for most people but for those that are active and especially weight training it is invaluable!
    Even those on a diet only weight loss program would benefit from amino acids as they help Retain muscle which will break down with a insufficient diet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    That's why I used the word automatically! as quinoa is a complete protein. However although I am mainly vegan myself
    I am watching my fitness very closely and my ability with increased strength training and my general health very closely.
    As a woman at menopausal age, Im more concerned with maintaining good health than becoming an fitness athlete.

Nuts and legumes complete a protein that are lacking in amino acids that they have. For example, rice lacks enough lycine to make it complete but has all the other EAAs, whereas for example, mushrooms and pinto beans have a good amount of lycine but lack enough methionine to make them complete.

Nutritional yeast is a great thing to add to your diet as it is a complete protein and also is usually fortified with B12. Hemp seeds are also complete proteins.

Thank you very much sarauk ! I am newely vegan this year after 10 or so years as mainly vegetarian. I'm starting heavier lifting program with my pt this week! I am new to this! I've been an aerobic instructor and also up my early 40s a martial artist, so I have fairly good body awareness to monitor my strength abilities and energy levels. I would appreciate yours and side steels opinion on my fat % and muscle form as I hopefully progress , via your group!

You are welcome and thank you. If you get your protein from a mix of different sources throughout the day, you do not need to worry that much about getting complete proteins as the varied diet should take care of that. You do not need to combine in the same meal as your body takes quite a while to digest, absorb and utilize amino acids.

The main issue with vegans re protein is getting enough and staying within a calorie allowance as they are pretty carby or high in fat. I did a thread that gives the protein/calorie ratio, split between meat sources, vegetarian sources and vegan sources that you may find useful here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I dont see any citations of any research studies or any credentials of the person creating the article. There is no sufficient evidence of any statement she is creating and she is plagiarizing at this point and spreading horse ****

yeah, one of her citations was an article in the wall street journal LOL....... just book and magazine quotations, nothing academic, no research, just a collection of a few people's opinions. In the comments below a registered dietician respectfully disagrees with her. She speaks a whole lot more sense than the article.
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    A lot of bro science
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Jane needs to step away from her word processor... quickly.
  • ToxicTinkerbell
    ToxicTinkerbell Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Is the term 'broscience' gender specific, if so what's the female equivalent? Hoscience?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

lol so what does meat have to do with not maintaining good health?

quinoa has a 1:4 ratio and is not a decent source of protein.

Ethics everyone is multifaceted, and no time or interest to others to fully explain 'where someone is coming from'.
    Also no longer like or want meat, genuinely.

Well not liking and wanting meat is fine, there are plenty of things I dont like. I still believe that lacto-ovo is the way to go if you do not enjoy meat
  • DatMurse
    Options
    This lady has a point but only to an extent.

Those who are very active or weight training probably will have to seek out more protein in their diet, I know if I don't then I ache and my body takes longer to recover.

She also calls bs on amino acids now again, that is true for most people but for those that are active and especially weight training it is invaluable!
    Even those on a diet only weight loss program would benefit from amino acids as they help Retain muscle which will break down with a insufficient diet.

on top of this essential amino acids are beneficial for those who have sustained heavy injury to muscle or fractures to bones.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I dont see any citations of any research studies or any credentials of the person creating the article. There is no sufficient evidence of any statement she is creating and she is plagiarizing at this point and spreading horse ****

YES! thank you.

Agree with this!
    For every fitness rule/guideline, there is always someone who wants to counteract it with some BS about why it's wrong.
  • cargilb
    cargilb Posts: 116
    Options
    I disagree wih some of the premises of the article. I don't think people eat protein for the health effects. I think people eat it because they like protein in the form of meat.

I do agree that there is an overindulgence in MEAT eating in society. I frankly learned about 12 years ago that I was eating about 4 or 5 times the amount of meat I needed in a day. I did not overindulge because Ithought it was healthy; I overindulged because I was eating a normal die which I learned from my upbringing.

I now do not eat as much meat or food in general as I used to. .

I do try to eat a little more proteins on days which I exercise more than 45 minutes or if I exercise extremely vigorously for over 30 minutes.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Is the term 'broscience' gender specific, if so what's the female equivalent? Hoscience?

Wahey! :wink: ????
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

I agree with the above quote. The author of the article mentioned in the link has no scientific credentials. Her "food experience" credential is "Gourmet" magazine writer.
    I would not follow her advise for my health issues.

Everybody is free to read and make their own decisions.

Good luck in your journey
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    What a load of horse crap.

We are all now dumber for having read it, I award her no points, and may God have mercy on her soul.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    In b4 steroid study.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I do agree that there is an overindulgence in MEAT eating in society. I frankly learned about 12 years ago that I was eating about 4 or 5 times the amount of meat I needed in a day. I did not overindulge because Ithought it was healthy; I overindulged because I was eating a normal die which I learned from my upbringing.
    Based off of what? Who said that we eat more meat than we need?
    WHAT STUDY IS THE BASIS OF THIS CLAIM?

I dont even consume 4-5 servings a day, I would like to.
    It also boils down on is it processed meat or unprocessed meat?