While We're Waiting for Pinned Topics to Come Back - All those useful links we post and repost

Options

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    bookmarked!
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Good stuff in here. Let's hope it sticks around.

Doubtful. Don't you see all the threads like this that we've been posting in are getting deleted.

Yup. I have myself been "edited" out of the discussion that isn't happening.
  • Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to post the links here. I have read them all since December and probably would have given up long ago without this information/tips.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    In!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    having to bump this because I've just advised someone reads the posts that are no longer stickied

Seriously MFP @Olivia @Rachel .. enough is enough - it's getting more difficult to help newbies solve their issues because of this

please put the appropriate stickies back
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    bookmark.gif
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Bookmarked and bumped. Oh, and copied in case this goes poof, too.

WTF is up with that? I'm baffled that the actually helpful threads for newbies are no longer bookmarked. How very, very odd.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Hell, just sticky this thread, it will save lots of trouble.

But, sadly, the type of people who just show up and demand to know if a waist trainer and detox tea will give them abs of steel? Won't bother reading all those threads.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options

But, sadly, the type of people who just show up and demand to know if a waist trainer and detox tea will give them abs of steel? Won't bother reading all those threads.

I think a lot more people read these threads than is apparent from looking at forum thread topics. It seems to me a lot of people do (did) begin by reading the stickies, or are directed to them, they are just not so visible as the waist-trainer-kiskstart-my-diet type of poster - they don't have that many questions afterwards because the stickies are informative and well-written. It's like a good instruction manual - not much need to cry out for help to customer support after reading it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I think a lot more people read these threads than is apparent from looking at forum thread topics. It seems to me a lot of people do (did) begin by reading the stickies, or are directed to them, they are just not so visible as the waist-trainer-kiskstart-my-diet type of poster - they don't have that many questions afterwards because the stickies are informative and well-written. It's like a good instruction manual - not much need to cry out for help to customer support after reading it.

Yes, I read all the stickies--it's just something I always do before posting in a new forum--and found them quite informative about how MFP and how it worked and about what TDEE was and all the rest and I didn't end up having any questions. And SexzyStef's thread on logging, which wasn't a sticky, also really helped me figure out logging.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I honestly can't even believe how bad the new sticky tips thread is.

^This. My jaw was hanging open reading it.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    This is just a thought...don't know if it would work...

Has anyone considered starting a group for beginners/those struggling where all of these posts that seem beneficial could be copied and posted. The topics could be group according to subject matter such as...

Where to start
    How to weigh and measure

Beginning exercise

Informative success stories

Etc...etc...

Obviously there is no ground being gained on getting these posts back on the stickied list...so work around it.

When it comes to deciding what should be posted in this group there could be a panel that comes to a conclusion on what is helpful. That way when anyone runs across a noob or a struggling not so noob you could just refer them to this group.

Sidesteel and Sarah have a good and easy format to their group. It is easy to read and not cluttered with hundreds of threads. I read their thread often and while I have picked up some good info I sometimes feel as if it is a little advanced for me especially on the weight training.

Just a thought...I know that when I first started it would have made it easier if everything had of been in one place instead of spread out over the entire site.

I really don't know if this idea would work since it would require some of you to make that commitment of keeping it up.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    The risk of starting a group just for beginners is that you might not have the same group of veteran users around to help dispel any untruths. Just look at that super helpful sticky, most of those are beginners. It's like the blind leading the blind. You could put the stickies at the top of the group and that would be great, but any forum posts... this should be what the open forums are for.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    The risk of starting a group just for beginners is that you might not have the same group of veteran users around to help dispel any untruths. Just look at that super helpful sticky, most of those are beginners. It's like the blind leading the blind. You could put the stickies at the top of the group and that would be great, but any forum posts... this should be what the open forums are for.

This plus the group search function is still broken. Months later.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...

I thought the open forums were for...

6 or more sugar addiction threads
    How to lose 50lbs in a month
    How to burn 3500 calories in an hour
    Don't eat carbs..or dairy...or vegetables...or meat...or fat...or anything that tastes good

and then there is the...

Drink 10 gallons of water a day...no coffee...soda...tea...or anything that tastes good

I especially find the...

Can I eat 500 calories a day...do 6 hours of exercise a day...

threads useful.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am curious if any mods are actually following this. If they are, why are they not providing some sort of response? Obviously, this is an issue that matters, especially to the more knowledgeable members. Which is important, because if MFP experts aren't providing guidance, especially to new members, then it falls on the experienced members to help guide through the pages upon pages of nonsense that others suggest. The only reason I stuck around this site was because of the wonderful information and discussion that is included in threads like the ones linked, especially when I, like so many others, was completely clueless when I started.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Hmmm...

I thought the open forums were for...

6 or more sugar addiction threads
    How to lose 50lbs in a month
    How to burn 3500 calories in an hour
    Don't eat carbs..or dairy...or vegetables...or meat...or fat...or anything that tastes good

and then there is the...

Drink 10 gallons of water a day...no coffee...soda...tea...or anything that tastes good

I especially find the...

Can I eat 500 calories a day...do 6 hours of exercise a day...

threads useful.

I think we could make a MFP MadLib!

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    I am curious if any mods are actually following this. If they are, why are they not providing some sort of response? Obviously, this is an issue that matters, especially to the more knowledgeable members. Which is important, because if MFP experts aren't providing guidance, especially to new members, then it falls on the experienced members to help guide through the pages upon pages of nonsense that others suggest. The only reason I stuck around this site was because of the wonderful information and discussion that is included in threads like the ones linked, especially when I, like so many others, was completely clueless when I started.

The more cynical part of me thinks that it may be a ploy for people to buy the premium service. After all, if you can't seem to stop failing and none of the free information works, why not try the service with special nutrition advice and blog posts?