So I finally had first hand experience......

Options
I was at a strata meeting last night and there was someone there who hasn't attended since June. After the meeting he said I looked like I had lost some weight. I replied that I was down 22lbs since Jan.
"Oh, what are you doing?" says he.
"Eating less and moving more." says I. To which I could see the interest in his eyes fade. So I elaborated "I'm closely watching what I put in my mouth and exercising regularly."
Nope all interest was gone - I had no magic bullet. "I said thanks for noticing, have a good night."

People are weird.........

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    pretty much. people expect some extreme drastic crap when they see weight loss

its a shame really, so many more people would be withing a healthy bf% if the correct info was out there for everyone. nutrition should be a mandatory class in highschool
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    BigT555 wrote: »
    pretty much. people expect some extreme drastic crap when they see weight loss

its a shame really, so many more people would be withing a healthy bf% if the correct info was out there for everyone. nutrition should be a mandatory class in highschool

I agree with this.

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Honestly it was probably just a polite question and they weren't truly interested in having a lengthy discussion about it. I've given targeted ketogenic diet as an answer in the past which some people might consider "extreme" (or at least the lengthy name makes it sound that way, heh), yet the reaction is about the same. Most people aren't particularly interested in discussing this stuff.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Yeah they are. You gave a simple answer to a simple question. Sometimes people expect you to give them the fast/easy way. Some people are also just being polite by asking and that's it.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    People do not want to hear anything that relates to common sense. I joined the gym about 2 1/2 years ago and earlier this summer I ran into a lady that still works out regularly (and still looks the same) and she commented on my weight loss and asked me what I was doing . . . as soon as I said watching what I ate, I lost her.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    MAGIC BEANS !!! Maybe that should be the answer. People just don't want to hear the common sense answer.
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me at work. Someone asked me what my secret was. I told her there is no secret, I'm just watching what I eat and getting exercise 5-6 times per week. Her reaction was basically "...Oh."

No one wants to accept that they have to put in dedication and patience to get healthy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Haha yeah... Been there, done that. Typically followed by 'I couldn't do it, I like eating too much'. Yeah, so do I (probably why I've only lost 20 pounds in the last year, lol).
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    AmZam05 wrote: »
    No one wants to accept that they have to put in dedication and patience to get healthy.

I was the same way before joining MFP and learning the right way..I wanted the easiest, most magic solution. If you told me I was to stand on my head and eat woodchips to lose ten pounds, I would have ran home to try it.

• arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Haha yeah... Been there, done that. Typically followed by 'I couldn't do it, I like eating too much'. Yeah, so do I (probably why I've only lost 20 pounds in the last year, lol).
    I think that's what I like about losing it slowly though - and exercising moderation. There (fingers crossed...) won't be that relapse that so many people have. At least that's what I tell myself ;)
  • parkscs
    Options
    arrrrjt wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I think that's what I like about losing it slowly though - and exercising moderation. There (fingers crossed...) won't be that relapse that so many people have. At least that's what I tell myself ;)
    That entirely depends on what you do after losing the weight, not how you lose the weight.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm only saying a drastic diet change is harder to sustain long term, for me personally - but yes, you are correct. I would say it is easier to keep enjoying food you love in moderation during the entire process than cutting it out completely, no?
  • parkscs
    Options
    Depends on the person. :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    arrrrjt wrote: »
    I'm only saying a drastic diet change is harder to sustain long term, for me personally...

The point of doing "drastic diet change" is to avoid having to do it for the "long term".

Slow and steady is something the vast majority of dieters fail at. That's the reality.

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I get that reaction all the time. They don't want to hear anything about eating less or exercising. I've seen that look that you described. :(
  • fallenangel316
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    I was at a strata meeting last night and there was someone there who hasn't attended since June. After the meeting he said I looked like I had lost some weight. I replied that I was down 22lbs since Jan.
    "Eating less and moving more." says I. To which I could see the interest in his eyes fade. So I elaborated "I'm closely watching what I put in my mouth and exercising regularly."
    Nope all interest was gone - I had no magic bullet. "I said thanks for noticing, have a good night."

Next time reply with
    "i was abducted by aliens and they removed some off the fat for their experiments"

If people are going to be weird like that you might as well be wierd back LOL

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

Next time reply with
    "i was abducted by aliens and they removed some off the fat for their experiments"

If people are going to be weird like that you might as well be wierd back LOL

This I like!
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My hypocondirac cousin asked what I was doing (she is super overweight and has a lot of "health issues" - some real some imagined). I told her I go to the gym. She gave me the look of "I could never do that". And I went on stuffing my face with Jewish new year food. She seems to believe that she cannot possibly lose weight due to her imagined health issues. Really its just how much she is eating and the way she has convinced herself she should be bed bound
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Yep, eating less and exercising are a serious turn off to most people - they just sound like too much work. Now if you'd said you'd starting eating more grapefruit or taking a multivitamin... lol
  • AlanaTedmon
    AlanaTedmon Posts: 105 Member
    Options

I don't think he actually wanted to start listening to a long description of all the work that went into your losing some weight... I hate it whenever anyone asks my friend Johnathan how he's lost so much, he takes off into a really boring half hour lecture on food portion control and the kind of gold gym products he owns and uses regularly. He also feels inclined to show phone pictures of his personal progress...

I've noticed that some of my heavier friends who suddenly lose weight become a little frighteningly enthusiastic about the new programs they get onto... It's kind of ironic since I stalk these forums but I purposefully avoid those topics sometimes because bringing it up means you're committed to that conversation for awhile.