How do you ladies make it through PMS with calories?

2»

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    There's always an excuse to eat over your calorie goals if you're eating for emotional needs instead of nutrition. Workout more to increase your calorie budget if you want to eat more.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    I ate at maintenance calories these past few days, just to let myself eat, and I figure it's like a training session for the future anyway. Thankfully I don't retain water around my period, so I'm still on track for losing about 1/2lb this week.

And as for rice, I do 50/50 with rice and lentils. 1/2 a cup of each, boiled, is under 300 calories altogether, and lentils have awesome nutritional values. And my curry is steamed veggies and a can of diced tomatoes pureed with curry powder, garam masala, a dash of cumin and salt and pepper. Cayenne for a kick. So there's hardly any calories in the base, and I can add whatever meat I want.

For me, curry is one of my go-to low calorie/high volume dishes because of all the veggies I put in :) carrots, potatoes, peas, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, and I don't use any oil or dairy products.

Aaaaaah, gotcha! See for me curry is straight meat. Meat and rice, that's it thats, that's all.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    I remind myself to be flexible, give in to cravings a little, and don't get too upset if I'm over my goal (which is total calories, not net).

51637601.png
  • LoadedM6Tina
    LoadedM6Tina Posts: 63 Member
    I don't want to piss myself off. Besides, it's once a month!
  • HAS415
    HAS415 Posts: 48 Member
    I find that a good salad can contain all of the components that you crave when you are pmsing. At least it did for me. I start with a base of romaine and add tomatoes for color, olives and cheese for salty, sweet pickles for sweetness along with craisins, cucumbers and carrots for crunch. Sometimes I add croutons and my fav salad dressing is Wishbone's Light Buffalo Ranch. I also used to like cashews and almonds. I also found that if I was craving chocolate a chocolate covered granola bar was a nice treat. Don't have to worry about this any more since I had a hysterectomy in July and I'm glad the cravings are gone. Normally I don't have an appetite at all but around the time of my period I would get a bit of a craving for salty, crunchy things and the salad really did the trick. Oh, I forgot about adding chicken (always kept Perdue shortcuts handy) and hard boiled eggs handy for protein. I hope this helps!!
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    I'm still figuring this one out for myself too but next time I plan to try to just up my goal for those few days it affects me, possibly as high as maintenance. I'd rather just wait a few extra days to get to the next pound "lost" than go through mental torture for those days. It's not like a few days eating at maintenance is going to kill me.

I also like slow leisurely walks in a nice setting. I tend to not be hungry when I am moving, I get to eat a few extra calories afterward and the experience tends to make me feel good so it's a triple benefit.
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    I eat semi-sweet chocolate chips, one tablespoon at a time. One tablespoon is about 21 chips, 70 calories. It helps when I have a severe chocolate craving.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    ktekc wrote: »
    I go with the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. They are awesome. Normally vanilla but around shark week, chocolate is the go to.

I'm totally grabbing these too! Right now I have the 100 calorie chocolate truffle bars. But i just KNOW that I'm going to want the sandwiches.

I start craving meaty comfort foods like beef curry. My only problem there is the RICE! So many calories in all that RICE! I havnt quite figured out how I'm going to swing that one yet.

I'm going out for Chinese with my hubby tomorrow night, and I simply order a side of broccoli instead of rice. Broccoli makes a great rice substitute, if you can eat it. I have homemade Indian a couple times a week with broccoli. Yum!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Dark chocolate (85% plus) or cocao powder is supposed to help kill cravings. Has magnesuim and other good stuff in it that you need at TOM
  • Hello Chrissy6302

I couldn't help but notice your PMS issue and your assertion that cravings are just
    cravings..
    Believe it or not..it sounds like your body is low on beneficial fats. The food energy choices you are making and that being given in the form of advice as emotional pacifiers to a hormone trying to communicate it needs a counter balance.

Every one of the foods choices given will sling shot you away from your goal and make you work ten times harder than you have too.

It also based on the foods you say you are eating during your PMS cycle appears to be lacking in whole food proteins as well..

You dont know your protein number [Pn#] ..This is Mother Natures Metabolic Master Key .

it allows you into the back office where hormones are made. Not enough whole food protein hormone free fall. Not enough beneficial fat in relation to whats needed to shut off PMS..equals PMS symptoms

eating the goodies isnt the issue its what you are not getting thats causing cravings .. for you and all the other giving you food energy advice.

As you work out harder guess what, the need for beneficial fat and protein increases in grams..So far you only increased the wide variety of sugars from various sources.

Just saying If you wnat to lose unwanted body fat and put PMS in Check..

All your arrows will need to point in the win win win direction..Im not a girl but I happen to specialize in fitness that handles a wide array of hormone based problems.

Your eating should be to help your body improve lipolytic enzyme production, as well as help these enzymes increase in count , strength and voracity and reach full on potency ..

You can eat those other yummies but counter balance with whole food protein and beneficial fats so as to also deweaponize aned champion unwanted body fat.

You can read my other posts or friend me directly if you specific questions.

Dances with Wow

• carryncoulson
    carryncoulson Posts: 29 Member
    I`m a huge fan of chilli dark chocolate. The chilli makes the dark chocolate taste a lot like milk chocolate and it is the ONLY chocolate that gives me satisfaction from only eating two squares. I also love chocolate soy milk - it tastes like nesquik. If I want to be really good I start with a large green apple cut into slices and lots of cinnamon sprinkled on top - that usually makes me quite full and the cinnamon regulates your sugar levels thus reduced cravings!
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    When I crave chocolate I usually just have a cup of chocolate cheerios instead. The peanut butter ones are even better if you can get your hands on them!
  • Chrissy6302
    Chrissy6302 Posts: 14 Member
    Runcakes wrote: »
    When I crave chocolate I usually just have a cup of chocolate cheerios instead. The peanut butter ones are even better if you can get your hands on them!

I love the peanut butter ones.
    Keeping busy is working great for me as well.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    I eat the chocolate and chips. I weigh and measure it and work it into my day. My cravings are brutal.