I want to like lifting, but the results depress me.

Options
I'm having a depressing moment right now.

As I lose fat around my midsection, I'm reminded of why I stopped working out years ago.

I've only been lifting for a few months, but I've lifted for about 2-3 years, some years ago.

I have broad shoulders and lifting makes them worse. The comments and looks from my family kind of depressed me years ago, so I stopped lifting because lifting seemed to make my shoulders wider.

I want to be stronger, but I don't want to feel more self-conscious.

I really don't want to feel more uncomfortable than I already am. Should I just stick to bodyweight exercises and maybe only do lifts like weighted squats?

Replies

• SWWIS
    SWWIS Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have super broad shoulders. It's mostly my frame, but exaggerated due to the fact that I've been an athlete all my life and lifted heavy in high school. I've learned to not give a **** what people have to say about my build. I've always been chunky but very muscular. Most people just picked on the chunky part even though they didn't realize I have a black belt, did MMA for a long time and could out-brute any of them.

My goal now is to lose my chunkiness and continue building strength. It can be hard, but sometimes you just have to say **** off to the people making comments and giving looks because you're making your body better, and that's a great thing to want to do.

FWIW, here's me and my giant shoulders:

eTj2sRv.jpg
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the comments your family makes about your "big" shoulders. I have big shoulders, and I catch men staring at them all the time...b/c my shoulders are super hot.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Don't directly train shoulders then. Easy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have broad shoulders too...and people (girl friends) have made comments...like "you can't wear sleevless anymore"...I do it and get compliments from men all the time...men like confidence regardless of size of body, shoulders, but, boobs etc.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Well you could stop letting society tell you what you should look like and just be what you are. Just a thought. That's not carte blanche to be unhealthy. But seriously my shoulders are too big? It's obsessive and unhealthy.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I know. I just need to refocus on my ultimate goal.

SWWIS, I must say I think your frame is fine.
  • SWWIS
    SWWIS Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    afrocided wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I know. I just need to refocus on my ultimate goal.

SWWIS, I must say I think your frame is fine.

I embraced it long ago... If I hadn't, I probably wouldn't be able to proudly call myself the "Brick Wall" in flag football :p
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have bigger shoulders too, courtesy of intense swim-training as a kid/pre-teen.

Rock them! Shape up your booty (squats!), work out your lats, put on the right dress, and from the back you will have a perfect hourglass figure!
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    One good thing they say about broad shoulders, is that it makes your waist look smaller! :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You're shoulder width is directly related to the span of the bones.

If you specifically aren't training shoulders- they aren't going to get more broad (you can specifically add size there from the 3 seperate shoulder muscles) but as long as you aren't specifically training them- all that's going to happen is you're going to get definition and have DEFINED looking shoulders- which many people THINK are big- but they aren't.
    - so keep lifting- lose fat- show off muscles.
    - kick anyone in the face who says you look manly.

love.
    the girl who has houuuge lats and loves them
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I say rock that *kitten*
    20140329_203301_zps68857a29.jpg
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    i want your lats!!!!!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I say rock that *kitten*

Niiiiiiiiice! :wink:

I have really broad shoulders too. I learned to accept them a long time ago. Now all I want is the fat dropped off them and the muscles strong and defined like the hot mamma up above. My shoulders dont make me feel any less feminine, but sometimes they DO make me feel much more bad *ss. I LOVE being a woman with a big frame. I like that I have physical "presence".
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You're shoulder width is directly related to the span of the bones.

If you specifically aren't training shoulders- they aren't going to get more broad (you can specifically add size there from the 3 seperate shoulder muscles) but as long as you aren't specifically training them- all that's going to happen is you're going to get definition and have DEFINED looking shoulders- which many people THINK are big- but they aren't.
    - so keep lifting- lose fat- show off muscles.
    - kick anyone in the face who says you look manly.

love.
    the girl who has houuuge lats and loves them

^Yep. Exactly this.

I know Im a guy but for me, my shoulders appeared to get broader as I lost weight and started lifting. In reality it was a combination of becoming leaner, better posture and a narrower waist that made them look bigger. Those are all good things though. It was not that I added a ton of mass or increased my bone structure.

Before strength training my shoulders slumped forward and my posture was terrible. Looking at me from the front my shoulder width would have seemed narrower. Strength training pulled my shoulders back and straightened my posture.

You can look at the pictures in my profile and see that the actual width has not changed much at all and that is after a couple years of training.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

As I lose fat around my midsection, I'm reminded of why I stopped working out years ago.

I've only been lifting for a few months, but I've lifted for about 2-3 years, some years ago.

I have broad shoulders and lifting makes them worse. The comments and looks from my family kind of depressed me years ago, so I stopped lifting because lifting seemed to make my shoulders wider.

I really don't want to feel more uncomfortable than I already am. Should I just stick to bodyweight exercises and maybe only do lifts like weighted squats?

I feel ya...my family members were among my very first haters...nothin' like some hatorade to stoke the fires of motivation! Keep at it! Do whatever lifts you want to do!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I say rock that *kitten*

Good lord, look at those *kitten* lats. B)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Ever hear of self confidence?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I say rock that *kitten*

Whoa, further increasing the legend that is your awesomeness.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    JoRocka rocks!

I don't think the OP or other women here should worry about their shoulder width so much. You all look fine I'm sure, really if someone in your life is putting you down because you have a strong healthy frame? It's their problem.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    If it actually bothers YOU, however, you could also just focus more on your lower body. Strong Curves, for example, has a lower body only routine.