Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    parkscs wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It gets a bad rap because there's no need to stick to 30 grams of carbs or below or whatever it is to lose weight, or to give up fruit and potatoes and ice cream, if you happen to like those foods. But if someone prefers eating that way, I wouldn't criticize. I think it's a fine eating plan for some people, just not me.

Beyond that, I think it's historically gotten a bad rap from some health-oriented types or "experts" because of the idea that it promotes eating lots of red meat and cheese and bacon, etc., which they see as bad for you. So it gets criticized for being about losing weight in an unhealthy way. Personally, I think low fat is a worse diet (if I had to pick one I'd do low carb over low fat, but luckily I don't have to do either) and the problems with saturated fat and red meat are oversold, so I'm not making that criticism, just reporting it.

It always surprises me how many people's knowledge of the Atkins diet starts and ends at the induction phase. Doing nothing but the induction phase is essentially a standard ketogenic diet. The Atkins diet slowly reintroduces carbohydrates into your diet over time and the macros for many people end up looking more like a paleo diet without the arbitrary food restrictions like dairy and legumes.
    I was just about to say this Parks. People who have little knowledge of Atkins love to talk about how unsustainable and restrictive a diet it is. Little do they know that the last phase does have bread, fruits, etc.

I didn't actually say it was unsustainable and restrictive. I said it was fine for some, but not for me. It's an answer to OP's question. And sure, it's true I group Atkins and keto together in my mind, but the point remains, as for me I see no benefit to the induction phase, etc., or lowering my carbs. For others the macros even of keto may be ideal.

It would be nice if people would address what was actually said.

• lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    Its EASY to tell from these comments who actually READ the book/followed the plan.For the 100TH TIME- Atkins is NOT low carb FOREVER!!! You must go through the PHASES..phases ONE is 20 carbs or less for TWO WEEKS...those carbs should come from VEGETABLES...there are MORE phases and carbs(even BREAD and FRUIT(gasp) are reintroduced slowly while you monitor what your body accepts and your weight loss progress...you can't eat 20 carbs or less,lose weight,start eating 300 grams next week,then say that ATKINS failed NO!!! YOU FAILED to READ the book and follow the plan correctly.
    -

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I definitely can see how some people would see it as being tricky to navigate social settings on this diet. I think I've been kind of lucky in that many dinner parties I've been to provide cheese and veggie platters but that's definitely not the case all the time.

It can take a little more social skill, but not a whole lot. I've rarely had anyone press the issue. Eating out, I almost never have a problem. If anything, the biggest problem would sometimes be that I am not at all interested in eating because I am not hungry. I hate buying food that I didn't want to eat. Usually, I will just ask for some coffee and drink it and talk. Maybe I'll get a chicken wing app (making sure to ask if they're floured or breaded) and eat a couple then take the rest to go.

The places you go that truly have nothing you can eat are very rare. I tend to be extra restrictive (way more than Atkins requires) and I still have no problems.
    It really does have a very long list of restrictions but do the foods really make you smell after a period of time?? I've never heard of that!

I think they're referencing the keto-breath and keto-pee smells. I also had a period where my normal body odor was a bit "off". It wasn't bad. It was just different than how I normally smelled. All three of those have gone away on their own. Any smell differences are almost certainly temporary. It's definitely not something that only comes later (it was right at the start actually) and they never leaves.
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    lovelayla wrote: »
    Its EASY to tell from these comments who actually READ the book/followed the plan.For the 100TH TIME- Atkins is NOT low carb FOREVER!!! You must go through the PHASES..phases ONE is 20 carbs or less for TWO WEEKS...those carbs should come from VEGETABLES...there are MORE phases and carbs(even BREAD and FRUIT(gasp) are reintroduced slowly while you monitor what your body accepts and your weight loss progress...you can't eat 20 carbs or less,lose weight,start eating 300 grams next week,then say that ATKINS failed NO!!! YOU FAILED to READ the book and follow the plan correctly.
    -

YES! all of this^^^^^^

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Why would I if I don't feel it's necessary? I like eating bagels, ice cream, pizza, rice etc.

I understand that from your profile. I'm curious to get solid first-hand information from people who've had experience with this particular diet.

Like any other "diet", if you eat too much you will not lose weight...
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    It gets a bad rap because there's no need to stick to 30 grams of carbs or below or whatever it is to lose weight, or to give up fruit and potatoes and ice cream, if you happen to like those foods. But if someone prefers eating that way, I wouldn't criticize. I think it's a fine eating plan for some people, just not me.

Beyond that, I think it's historically gotten a bad rap from some health-oriented types or "experts" because of the idea that it promotes eating lots of red meat and cheese and bacon, etc., which they see as bad for you. So it gets criticized for being about losing weight in an unhealthy way. Personally, I think low fat is a worse diet (if I had to pick one I'd do low carb over low fat, but luckily I don't have to do either) and the problems with saturated fat and red meat are oversold, so I'm not making that criticism, just reporting it.

It always surprises me how many people's knowledge of the Atkins diet starts and ends at the induction phase. Doing nothing but the induction phase is essentially a standard ketogenic diet. The Atkins diet slowly reintroduces carbohydrates into your diet over time and the macros for many people end up looking more like a paleo diet without the arbitrary food restrictions like dairy and legumes.
    I was just about to say this Parks. People who have little knowledge of Atkins love to talk about how unsustainable and restrictive a diet it is. Little do they know that the last phase does have bread, fruits, etc.

I didn't actually say it was unsustainable and restrictive. I said it was fine for some, but not for me. It's an answer to OP's question. And sure, it's true I group Atkins and keto together in my mind, but the point remains, as for me I see no benefit to the induction phase, etc., or lowering my carbs. For others the macros even of keto may be ideal.

I didn't say you did?
    I was quoting Parks who was quoting you. He was basically confirming what you had said...that in general people think of Atkins only in the induction phase and don't think of Atkins beyond that. The induction phase being compromised of things like bacon, meat, cheese, etc.
  • MelRC117
    Options
    steve098 wrote: »
    A strict Atkins diet keeps you in the fat-burning mode all the time. A lot of people do not realize that the ONLY way to lose weight is to be in the fat-burning mode while running a calorie deficit. Knowing how to get into the fat-burning mode- there are several ways- means that people can tailor their weight-loss approach to suit their needs.

I will repost a longer explanation I did yesterday on another thread- if I can find it with this new system.

No, I think we're good.

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I read what was said. I was more responding to comments like:

What you're describing isn't Atkins, and that you equate Atkins and keto as the same thing in your mind is m point. They aren't. That's a common misconception because all some people know about is Atkins induction, but that's not the actual plan if you read the book or even looked into it whatsoever. What you're describing is a ketogenic diet. Atkins is a diet that adjusts your macros over time based on your goals. They simply are not the same, beyond the optional induction phase of Atkins resembling a ketogenic diet for 2 weeks.

I would agree with people saying these diets probably aren't the best fit for many, maybe even most people. It's just the misinformation equating Atkins to a standard ketogenic diet, saying you will stink because someone knew someone on Atkins that stank (lol?), and the like that rubs me the wrong way (an acknowledged pet peeve of mine).
  • J72FIT
    Options
    A strict Atkins diet keeps you in the fat-burning mode all the time. A lot of people do not realize that the ONLY way to lose weight is to be in the fat-burning mode while running a calorie deficit. Knowing how to get into the fat-burning mode- there are several ways- means that people can tailor their weight-loss approach to suit their needs.

If you are in a state of negative energy balance (calorie deficit) you are burning fat and do not have to stress over getting into a "fat burning mode"...
  • MelRC117
    Options
    I didn't say I have all the answers, but I don't get why you need to stroke your ego all the time? Which I'd be careful about because you are wrong on at least a couple of points above.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I don't think you read the post previous.

You can be in a negative calorie balance and still not burn fat- it depends on your glycogen stores. When you burn through your glycogen stores to a certain degree- about 50-70%- then you start to burn fat.

You HAVE to be in the fat-burning mode to burn fat- pure and simple.

Now, the heart is ALWAYS in the fat-burning mode, but on the aggregate the amount of fat burned is offset by the ingestion of carbohydrates and fats.

You burn through glycogen stores when you are performing glycogen demanding activity. The body switches to fat stores at rest and during low intensity activity. So if you are indeed in a state of negative energy balance you are indeed burning fat... even with fully stocked glycogen.
  • MelRC117
    Options
    Seriously? From someone who is using a profile picture of someone that isn't them trying to come off as an expert on MFP? Yeah, no.
  • penelopeyvonne
    penelopeyvonne Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    [quote=I'm curious to get solid first-hand information from people who've had experience with this particular diet. [/quote]

I tried the Atkins diet a number of years ago, stuck with it for about five months and yes, at first, I found it worked very well for me. I lost a fair bit of weight initially (about 20lbs) and I just loved being able to eat lots of cheese (a favourite of mine, and definitely missed now!) and nuts (another favourite) and ... and ... and ... but I really missed bread and fruit, and carbs in general.

Oh - and bacon & eggs for breakfast every day? A dream. Until I soooo missed the bread that's a mandatory part of a fried breakfast, in my humble opinion!

But, in the end, two things:

1. The weight stopped coming off, first so fast and then not at all and (more important to me!) --
    2. I got so very (sorry, no nice way to say this!) constipated and just couldn't bear that any more.

So I stopped. Reverted to "normal" eating patterns and put back that 20lbs and probably another 10 or 15 on top.

It wasn't until I "found" My Fitness Pal (or it found me??!), and the benefits of proper portion control and exercise (even though I knew it to be sound and sensible advice!) that I have managed to take all that and more off, and it's literally changed both my life and my lifeSTYLE B) . A switch was flicked. And, even though (dammit!) I've put back a few pounds on holiday, I've seriously altered the way I eat and, more importantly, live.

But you say in your original or early post(s) that your parents have been on it for years and it works for them ... it's perfectly true & acceptable that what works for one person will not work for another. So, despite me being a real failure at Atkins, I really hope it works for you. Good luck with it all :)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I read what was said. I was more responding to comments like:
    What you're describing isn't Atkins, and that you equate Atkins and keto as the same thing in your mind is m point. They aren't. That's a common misconception because all some people know about is Atkins induction, but that's not the actual plan if you read the book or even looked into it whatsoever. What you're describing is a ketogenic diet. Atkins is a diet that adjusts your macros over time based on your goals. They simply are not the same, beyond the optional induction phase of Atkins resembling a ketogenic diet for 2 weeks.

That's, I guess, interesting, or would be to someone considering doing Atkins, but my response was actually more relevant to OP's question. The idea that you are supposed to cut carbs low enough to go into ketosis (even if just for a period of time) IS why many people are negative about Atkins--although I don't think I'm really negative, just not interested personally--just as the idea that people eat lots of high fat foods that are traditionally considered unhealthy.

Also, OP's intro post focused on the same aspects of Atkins as my response did. My impression is that keto and low carb and Atkins get used pretty interchangeably on these boards and I'm not all that concerned with the differences between them and I guess I read the OP as more about low carb (or keto, like I said) in general than Atkins which, yes, is more involved than I realized. Perhaps if one is into low carb diets or the specific virtues of one vs. another the differences would seem more important, but that didn't seem to be the focus of the question.
    I would agree with people saying these diets probably aren't the best fit for many, maybe even most people. It's just the misinformation equating Atkins to a standard ketogenic diet, saying you will stink because someone knew someone on Atkins that stank (lol?), and the like that rubs me the wrong way (an acknowledged pet peeve of mine).

Again, I didn't say anything negative about Atkins or low carb. And keto is part of Atkins (the most well-known part), even if apparently one need not stay in ketosis to do it. I actually hadn't realized that Atkins seems less common among the low carb types these days than formerly in that most everyone I've met doing low carb is doing keto, whereas people used to talk more about Atkins and I'd not made a distinction, as I said. So thanks, I've learned something, even if I still think your response was a little off target given the substance of my post and the question.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    most everyone I've met doing low carb is doing keto, whereas people used to talk more about Atkins and I'd not made a distinction, as I said. So thanks, I've learned something, even if I still think your response was a little off target given the substance of my post and the question.

Just to clarify (not that anyone cares, but it bugs me that I can't edit), this is true if you don't consider paleo a low carb diet, although I think it generally is in practice.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    My impression is that keto and low carb and Atkins get used pretty interchangeably on these boards and I'm not all that concerned with the differences between them and I guess I read the OP as more about low carb (or keto, like I said) in general than Atkins which, yes, is more involved than I realized. Perhaps if one is into low carb diets or the specific virtues of one vs. another the differences would seem more important, but that didn't seem to be the focus of the question.

Oh, they do, but that's due to ignorance about the Atkins diet and misinformation, which is evidenced throughout this thread (more in other posts than yours). Equating Atkins and keto diets is akin to me going around equating a generic bro split with Wendler's 5/3/1 and saying oh they're the same thing. They aren't. One is a pretty strict training routine, while the other is a generic routine that may have some things in common with the first routine, and in other ways may be very different. But they aren't synonymous.

And in my mind, if you actually want to offer the pros and cons of an Atkins diet (like the diet tends to be more satiating, your results can be less reliable as it's dependent on how hungry you feel, it's more regimented with multiple phases and the like and thus requires more effort than basic calorie counting, there can be negative effects on athletic performance particularly at first, etc.) like the OP was asking about, I would think it helps to know more than the common misconception of the diet.

But it doesn't really matter. This isn't the first time people have confused this and it won't be the last. What I find sort of funny is I don't even think Atkins is a great fit for the OP - it's just the ignorant "it makes you smelly!" comments and the like, rather than your comments, that made me want to reply.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You don't even know if that "diet" will work for you. You just started.

Why are you using quotation marks? Atkins is a diet.

I'm asking what's with the bad rap. I'm not trying to convert people.

Do you plan on sticking to a low carb diet for the rest of your life? Don't you think you'll eventually start to miss things like fruit, pizza, beer, ice cream, pie, cake, etc?

I personally think that all "restrictive" diets are a bad idea because people often get sick of them in the long run and then gain back the weight they lost.

And that's why people keep "revisiting" it and going back on Atkins. There were a couple of ladies where I used to work who went back on Atkins 2 or 3 times per year it seemed. After a few months of restricting, feeling great and letting everyone know about it, they went back to putting ice cream in their morning coffee.